News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Questions about the New Confidential Guide
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2013, 04:28:59 AM »
How about an App? You type in a City, State or Country and voila, the latest reviews for that area pop up.

At this point, Jud, you're out of control.

Check out the new Robert Parker app for subscribers then we'll talk. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 07:40:07 AM »
I know a few of you saw previews of the first volume at The Renaissance Cup...

Will it be on the shelves for Christmas?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 07:42:40 AM »
I think we were told September.
Let's make GCA grate again!

PCCraig

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:04 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, but is there a publisher...or is Tom Doak self-publishing?
H.P.S.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »
The only time I've had my hands on an Old Confidential Guide was in a bookstore (remember those?) in California ~12 years ago.  There were 7-8 or them sitting pristine on an upper shelf, and after browsing one of them for those courses I knew well and deciding that $20 was too much to pay to go further, I went back to reading the Sunday Times.  I coulda been a gazillionaire.....
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

BHoover

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
If I don't immediately buy a copy of the New Confidential Guide, will I be asked to leave GCA?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
If I don't immediately buy a copy of the New Confidential Guide, will I be asked to leave GCA?

Not if you don't tell anybody, Brian.
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »
The only time I've had my hands on an Old Confidential Guide was in a bookstore (remember those?) in California ~12 years ago.  There were 7-8 or them sitting pristine on an upper shelf, and after browsing one of them for those courses I knew well and deciding that $20 was too much to pay to go further, I went back to reading the Sunday Times.  I coulda been a gazillionaire.....

Rich, it was the same for me.  A Borders (or was it Barnes & Noble?) on University Ave in Palo Alto around 1996 or so.  They had a few in stock, and I just put it back on the shelf.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered, but is there a publisher...or is Tom Doak self-publishing?

It's being published by Renaissance Golf Publishing.

The book goes to the printer next week.  I will start taking pre-orders in a month or so.  I expect to have books ready for delivery right around the first of October.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »

Rich, it was the same for me.  A Borders (or was it Barnes & Noble?) on University Ave in Palo Alto around 1996 or so.  They had a few in stock, and I just put it back on the shelf.

Mine was a Borders, too, Kevin, but somewhere nearer to San Jose.  About the only place in San Jose where in those days you could get the Sunday Times.  I've shaken Tom Doak's hand a few times, so I have that going fofr me.

Rich
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
after browsing one of them for those courses I knew well and deciding that $20 was too much to pay to go further,

You clearly picked the wrong profiles to read or you 'overbrowsed' ( :P). And $20?? More like $45 plus tax. (Bought mine in 1996 at Rockefeller Center B&N after reading one profile. Had a commuter train to catch....or was it 'a train straight to golf discussion board history'?)
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2014, 11:10:35 PM »

Rich,

I also came across a couple copies around the same time selling for $10. Purchased both and gave them to friends in Ballybunion.

As for my own copy, I just don't ever lend it out. Period.
Tim Weiman

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Stephen Davis

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Bump, in light of the new feature interview with Tom:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59513.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-tom-doak/

I can't wait to see it. I respect the opinions of each one of those contributors. Should be a great read.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:32 PM »
Any predictions for which holes/courses the other editions will feature on their covers?  (Agree totally the GBI cover looks great.) 

Carl Nichols

« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 05:31:17 PM »
Couldn't have picked three better collaborators and love the font on the cover as well as the pic. Can't wait to check it out - hoping for the odd scathing review!

I'm waiting for someone (I have a few ideas) to criticize Ran and Tom for using this site to sell books.  And no, this isn't some lame attempt to lob such criticism myself.

PCCraig

« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
Couldn't have picked three better collaborators and love the font on the cover as well as the pic. Can't wait to check it out - hoping for the odd scathing review!

I'm waiting for someone (I have a few ideas) to criticize Ran and Tom for using this site to sell books.  And no, this isn't some lame attempt to lob such criticism myself.

Who here isn't interest in purchasing the series??
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 06:09:58 PM »
Any predictions for which holes/courses the other editions will feature on their covers?  (Agree totally the GBI cover looks great.)  

Good odds (or bad, for a bettor) that a Crystal Downs hole graces the cover of the third volume, The Americas (summer destinations) – northern U.S. and Canada
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Paul Gray

« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »
Serious question, since I'm struggling to find reference to it: how much will volume one set me back?
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ash Towe

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »
Paul,

According to the interview $60 per volume.  If you agree to buy the set the last book will be half price.

Paul Gray

« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
Thanks Ash.

Actually pretty reasonable.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tom_Doak

« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
Any predictions for which holes/courses the other editions will feature on their covers?  (Agree totally the GBI cover looks great.) 

We will decide these in the next few months so that Josh can get to painting them.

I have offered to let each of my collaborators have one of the five paintings, so there will certainly be some jockeying for position.  I get the first one, which is only fair since it was based on a picture I took back in 1982.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2014, 11:26:40 PM »

It's being published by Renaissance Golf Publishing.

The book goes to the printer next week.  I will start taking pre-orders in a month or so.  I expect to have books ready for delivery right around the first of October.

Congrats, Tom. What's the count for the first print run? And will there be subsequent printings?

Jim Nugent

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14:05 AM »

Ran and Tom BETTER use this site to sell the new CG.  I'd be mighty pissed if they didn't.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
Paul,

According to the interview $60 per volume.  If you agree to buy the set the last book will be half price.

25% discount fo GCA members?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back