News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

Pacific Dunes (Doak) - A Photo Tour!!! - All 18 Up!
« on: November 15, 2013, 12:33:38 AM »

Hole 1: Par 4, 304 Yards

Hole 2: Par 4, 368 Yards

Hole 3: Par 5, 499 Yards

Hole 4, Par 4, 463 Yards

« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:54:35 PM by Mark Saltzman »

Ben Jarvis

Re: Pacific Dunes (Doak) - A Photo Tour!!! - Hole 4 Up!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 12:53:34 AM »
Gee Mark, it looks like you had some awful weather to contend with..
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:40 AM »
More wow! My credit card is itching to be used! What time of the morning did you take these photos Mark? They're terrific (as usual).
All the best

Greg Taylor

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:04:01 AM »
Thanks for posting these... looks like the weather held up!

I struggle to to chose between PD, Trails and Old Mac... all in my mind are equally as good and great golf.

Looking forward to seeing the rest  :)

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:49 AM »
I would say he teed off at 8:05.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 09:53:13 AM »
So Mark,  How would you split 10 rounds between the 4 courses?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »

I'll let you know after I play trails in an hour!

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:01:06 AM »
I recall my comment to Ian Andrew on the first tee.....

Looks like I might need a caddie and a cherpa!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Scott Weersing

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 09:13:23 AM »
Looks like good weather for November. Any wind? Is there enough daylight for 36 holes?

I am excited about going in 2014.

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 09:22:28 AM »
If I had 10 rounds I'd play all of them twice.  BD, PD, Trails, Old Mac, and The Preserve.

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 01:26:20 PM »
I have a 4 day stay booked for next Saturday through Tuesday...2 rounds each for PD,BT and OM...one on BD and hopefully an extra loop on the Preserve Saturday afternoon...

I am really looking forward to Trails after missing out last spring while course was closed for renovations....haven't heard too much regarding the extent of the changes....

I love living only 4 hour drive from paradise!

David Davis

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Great photos, I'm sure there are many to follow. Right now I miss home looking at this. I think the fact they are in Oregon makes them my favorite on the planet. However, I always take that unfair advantage of location out of my opinion.

Curious to hear how you compare the courses.

10 rounds, let's see:

BD 2
PD 4 Pacific is by a mile my favorite, could play it for the rest of my life.
OM 2
BT 2

I'd throw in a couple post 36 have a beer rounds on the preserve and a couple at the new putting facility. Hard to beat that anywhere, rain or shine.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »
Hole 5: Par 3, 199 Yards

Hole 6: Par 4, 316 Yards

Hole 7: Par 4, 464 Yards

Mark Saltzman

Re: Pacific Dunes (Doak) - A Photo Tour!!! - Hole 7 Up!
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 01:54:59 PM »
Hole 8: Par 4, 400 Yards

Hole 9: Par 4, 406 Yards

Hole 10: Par 3, 206 Yards

Hole 11: Par 3, 148 Yards

Hole 12: Par 5, 529 Yards

Will Lozier

Re: Pacific Dunes (Doak) - A Photo Tour!!! - Hole 12 Up!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 02:39:07 PM »
Mark,

Great photos!  Just to clarify though, the second to last pic here, of the "12th" is actually from a forward tee of the 2nd, looking down the 2nd fairway, with 12 green to the left of the far dune which frames the left hand of 2 green.  These are two fantastic par-5's which don't get much notice given the relatively flat terrain and the variety of the two-shotters and the magnificent short holes.  

It is interesting, and I think attractive and appropriate, that these two fairways are joined at spots.  

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:40:46 PM by Will Lozier »

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
Hole 13: Par 4, 444 Yards

Hole 14: Par 3, 145 Yards

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
Hole 15: Par 5, 539 Yards

Hole 16: Par 4, 338 Yards

Hole 17: Par 3, 208 Yards

Hole 18: Par 5, 591 Yards

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 06:43:02 PM »

OM: 3
BD: 3
BT: 2
PD: 2

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 07:01:07 PM »

Love this game...

PD - 4
OM - 4
BT - 2

I have only walked the Preserve prior to the opening, but I would suspect I would play that as well before Bandon Dunes as well...

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 07:05:08 PM »

Love this game...

PD - 4
OM - 4
BT - 2

I have only walked the Preserve prior to the opening, but I would suspect I would play that as well before Bandon Dunes as well...

Chris, why such dislike for BD? I played it once and loved it!

Sven Nilsen

Re: Pacific Dunes (Doak) - A Photo Tour!!! - All 18 Up!
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Mark:

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but there's a marked difference on this site in the preference for the courses at Bandon Dunes between people who have made one visit and people who have made multiple visits.  

I also don't want to speak for everyone, so I'll just say that I found a couple of the courses out there grew on me a lot more than the other two.  

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

William_G

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 10:07:13 PM »
Mark:

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but there's a marked difference on this site in the preference for the courses at Bandon Dunes between people who have made one visit and people who have made multiple visits.  

I also don't want to speak for everyone, so I'll just say that I found a couple of the courses out there grew on me a lot more than the other two.  

Sven

Sven,

no doubt multiple trips to Bandon provide you with different experiences every time.

one of the unrealized or unspoken things about playing Bandon is that each course plays a little differently every time you play

the architecture doesn't change, but the conditions do, the wind, temp, sun, clouds, rain...as well as the hole locations and the tee, the variability of the courses day in and day out or even from morning to afternoon is one of the most intriguing aspects of golf at Bandon

FWIW...Bandon Dunes has the most elasticity in length, PD has a variety of tees while giving different looks w/o changing distance too much, Trails and Old mac have some elasticity in length but not as much as Bandon Dunes

the other thing about Pacific is that the routing is predominantly, almost all holes go, N/S which gives you mostly plays into or with the wind whereas all the courses go EWN+S

Bandon Dunes is the only course where you don't have a turn shack out on the course, but back at the lodge

FUN  8)
It's all about the golf!

John Percival

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:43 AM »
Great pics of a great course with great weather.
Never had the pleasure of a visit to Bandon.
When it does happen, that weather will be appreciated.
Seriously, how frequently (and usually when) are those beautiful days?

Am confused about that pic of hole 12.
It said the hole shared a fwy with the other 5 par, #2.
But the copy shows #2 to be a 4 par.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »

I found a couple of the courses out there grew on me a lot more than the other two.  

Sven

Sven, can you be more specific? 

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 07:16:04 AM »
So Mark,  How would you split 10 rounds between the 4 courses?

Love this game...

PD - 4
OM - 4
BT - 2

Chris, why such dislike for BD? I played it once and loved it!

Sorry for the delay, I am just catching up...

I wouldn't say it is a "dislike" for BD, but rather a stronger preference for the others.  Bandon Dunes is a special place by any measure and we are certainly fortunate to have a place like that to escape to in our lifetime, with that said, when I make the trek out there and my time is limited - I am going to be very selective in what courses I play.

I have made four trips out there, my first when it was just BD and PD and my last soon after OM opened, but just before the Preserve opened.  I have played BD at least 10 times now and I don't really feel the need to play it again.  Don't get me wrong, there are some great holes/stretches (#4-6 & #15-17) that I really like, but then I think some of the worst holes on the property are there are as well - holes that just don't do it for me include #1, #2, #9, #13, #14, and #18.  I would say, on my very first round ever at the resort, when I made the slight turn to the right on #4 and saw the green and ocean on the horizon - I thought I had found finally religion, so it has a special place in my book.  

I think the points made earlier about it being the first course, Mr. Keiser being careful to make it playable, etc. all make a lot of sense - and most likely are the reasons why it falls to the bottom for me when ranking them.  I found the routing a little awkward and the walk from #8 green to #9 tee is my least favorite on the property - and that includes the walk/shuttle from #13 to #14 on BT.

We have a good group of guys who try and make the trip every few years, I have always been the one to plan, coordinate, and book the trips.  If it were solely up to me, I would skip BD entirely on a 4-5 day stay and maybe include one round if we stayed longer.  One of my very good friends, and a much better player than me, loves BD and would probably prefer to get more than the one round I schedule each trip.

As for the gorse removal, I understand why it was done and certainly the course is more playable now, but from a visual standpoint, the course just doesn't look as good to me now.  My last trip there I was shocked to see how different #5 looked with the naked dunes.

One other point that I often wonder about is the turf at BD, I know they altered the grass mix as the new courses opened and I have always felt that the turf at BD was softer than the rest and certainly more forgiving - it was almost shaggy on my last visit in 2012.  I am sure there is a good explanation on why, but I certainly prefer the surfaces at PD, OM, and BT.

As for the 4 round split between PD and OM and then just 2 at BT - that is probably a moment in time call and I will say that BT grows on me each time I play it - I am anxious to get back there and see the recent work on #18.  

PD is my favorite course on the property and in the top 5 I have ever played.  If I had just one round at Bandon Dunes, it would certainly be on PD.  I have just played OM three times and I don't feel I know her very well yet and am looking forward to my next trip out there.  I can say that the best bourbon I ever sipped was on OM under a gorse bush near #9 during a gale storm last March...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:41:41 AM by Chris Hufnagel »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back