News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard_Mandell

Re: Sneak Peak of Keller Golf Course Renovation (Richard Mandell)
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 01:01:25 PM »
Good to hear it. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 01:23:13 PM »
Rich -

There is a good chance that I may never reach the fairway bunker on 2 due to my athletic limitations.

One thing that I liked about the old hole was that the approach shot was blind from the bottom of the hill. Yet, it only took a few steps to walk ahead and locate the flag.

Is that still the case, or has the hill be softened?

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 01:34:29 PM »
Morgan,

I've seen you walk.  I think you can reach the bunker provided you are playing the right tees.  Regarding the hill, it has not been touched other than the bunker work.

PCCraig

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
Keller is reopening this weekend after being closed since 2012. The below link is an excellent hole-by-hole featuring photos & a video tour from Richard Mandell...really great stuff.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26146657/keller-golf-course-hole-by-hole-guide

Looking forward to playing it again this summer & fall!
H.P.S.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 11:36:47 AM »
Keller is reopening this weekend after being closed since 2012. The below link is an excellent hole-by-hole featuring photos & a video tour from Richard Mandell...really great stuff.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26146657/keller-golf-course-hole-by-hole-guide

Man, you're fast, Pat! Did you see that before I sent it to you ... what, five minutes ago???

Additional stories at http://twincities.com/golf
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

Man, you're fast, Pat! Did you see that before I sent it to you ... what, five minutes ago???

Additional stories at http://twincities.com/golf

Saw the PP post it on Twitter this morning!
H.P.S.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
Early Reviews:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_26175315/keller-golf-club-gets-early-rave-reviews-from

I'm playing tonight (for the first time) and will report back. Based on the hole-by-hole's with Richard it's going to be a ton of fun!
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Stephen Davis

Re: Keller Golf Course, St. Paul, MN - Renovation (Richard Mandell)
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
I am going to be in town next week and am going to get the chance to see the work done at Keller next Saturday. It looks really great from the pictures. I am looking forward to it and will post my thoughts after I see it.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »
Morgan Clawson and I played it Sunday. We both seem to be holding off on pronouncing any judgments, till others have had a chance to play it during our Minnesota GCA gathering there next month.

It will surprise no one that I have *many* opinions -- none of which will be changed by others' to the contrary!

If you're in the Twin Cities, as a resident or a visiting golfer, you owe it to yourself to play Keller.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 08:36:08 AM »
Morgan Clawson and I played it Sunday. We both seem to be holding off on pronouncing any judgments, till others have had a chance to play it during our Minnesota GCA gathering there next month.

It will surprise no one that I have *many* opinions -- none of which will be changed by others' to the contrary!

If you're in the Twin Cities, as a resident or a visiting golfer, you owe it to yourself to play Keller.

Wait so am I supposed to hold off on commentating?
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »

Say what you will!

I was speaking (or, rather, not speaking, for now) for myself!

PCCraig

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »

Patrick,

Please post your thoughts, I would really like to hear what you think.
H.P.S.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »
Ok a couple of things to note:

I had never played Keller before last night so I can't speak to what was there before, what was new, changes good/bad etc.

I did however watch about 12 of the hole-by-hole videos with Richard talking about the design so I did have a little background.

We teed off at 5:45 hoping to play fast and finish by 9:00 when it was dark. We waited behind 4 old ladies on the front (thankfully they only played 9) then caught up to 4 drunk guys on the back which we waited on again.

We took a cart thinking we may need it toward the end as it got dark, but based on how long we waited I would have rather just walked.

We played the back tees at 6700ish. (My playing partner is a non-GCAer who is about an 8 handicap)

Overall Thoughts:

The course is firm, fast, and for the most part fun. (Actually firm should probably read FIRM.)

As I was preoccupied somewhat with trying to play fast yet waiting on the tees and seeing the course for the first time I was more looking for things I liked than things I didn't. Of note, nothing really stuck in my craw in terms of something that I didn't like.

The topography is really ideal for golf. Regardless of the more micro design changes that were done, this is a really great piece of land for a golf course.

The ground game is definitely something to use at Keller.

Some holes of note:

1 - A really nice short par-4 opener up the hill from a good back tee box
2 - I like the center line bunker for interest off the tee, however  I'm not sure the risk of playing left is worth a reward, playing in from the right seemed preferred.
4 - I don't think there is quite enough room to play the under the tree option, however I played a second ball that way (punched a 6 iron) and it leaked farther right than desired but kicked back left considerably to the front corner of the green FWIW. It takes a good W/9 iron to get over the green. My friend thought this was the dumbest hole in the world and had nothing good to say about it. 
5 - Good hole with interest on both shots and a good raised green
6 - a challenging longer par-3
7 - reminded me a bit of #2 at Minneapolis with the fairway dip at the end of the landing zone
9 - Really liked #9 up the hill and a nice green with great movement
10 - Fun downhill par-5 with the green falling away. I missed my drive right and had to hit out right of the green but would like to play it again from the fairway.
12 - Did I say FIRM? I absolutely crushed my drive and had a 9 iron into the green from a downhill lie. It landed pin high and rolled 100+ feet to the back of the green (it does slope away slightly). A solid 3-putt par for me here.
13 - An excellent uphill par 3 to a well bunkered green. I missed my shot left but somehow got a friendly kick 10 yards right back onto the green. I haven't played the variety of courses a lot of everyone else here has, but this hole stuck out as unique for the look of it to me. Maybe I just haven't played enough to have seen more uphill par-3's like it?
14 - A good hole and the only one I wish I could have played again with knowledge of how it plays. Not knowing better I drove it through the fairway into the water hazard on 15 and probably would have hit hybrid next time. A great elevated green.
15 - A challenging par-3 up the hill to a big green.
16 - The only hole I might have some qualms with. I killed a drive down the left side and was in the first cut 240 out but had some trees overhanging down the left side that prohibited my second shot.
17 - A really good short par-4 with a very unique green that plays uphill slightly on the second shot but slopes away from you. As a result it reminded me a bit of #12 at White Bear Yacht Club (which is my favorite hole there)
18 - A nice finishing hole to a great setting in front of the new clubhouse with views of the lake down the leftside.

Overall I thought it was definitely a Doak 6 and maybe a 7. It ranks behind Lawsonia ( 8 ) and CommmonGround (7) in terms of public's under $100 I've played and ahead of Chaska Town Course (6) which I also like.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 10:59:32 AM by Patrick Hodgdon »

PCCraig

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 11:11:45 AM »
Nice report, Patrick, thank you.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 10:35:10 AM »
From GolfCourseArchitecture.net:

"Richard Mandell adds strategic value and improves playability at Keller GC"

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/Root/Home-actualpage/Articles actualpage/Article/tabid/70/ItemId/3183/Default.aspx#.U9EXtvldWA9
H.P.S.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »
Word is they have had 300 rounds a day so far.  Sounds like Mr. Hodgson may need to keep his driver in the bag.  Seriously, though thanks for your hole by hole insight. There is just not enough room to stretch the golf course to accommodate the big hitters. 

Regarding the tree on four, that was democracy in action.  As I went through the walk-throughs with golfers prior to the design phase, By show of hands, the far majority of 100 different players said they wanted the tree to remain.  Considering I am alive to type this today, I heeded their desire.  That said, it does introduce a bit more demand to control trajectory as a design element of the hole.

We made some major improvements to #16 by eliminating the blindness between the tees and first landing area and adding more accessible tees to make the hole a par five for all (before it was a five for some and a four for others, a major concern expressed by the County).  We also moved blind bunkers from the left side of the hole to fit better along the more visible right side of the hole.  There was nothing that could be done to soften the left to right slope of the golf hole as, frankly, the entire site pitches that way. 

Sixteen is the only hole out there where the hole plays in one direction and the topo goes in the opposite direction.  As long as there are few of those holes on a golf course, it does present a different challenge so in the name of variety, I like it.    The only way to change that would require the removal of hundreds of trees and the earthwork would certainly destroy the character of the ground.  I think the alternative would have been worse.  That said, I would have tried to re-route it from the start if I was around in 1929.

I am glad the ninth green is getting compliments.  Usually when you shorten a golf hole, the reaction is a bit negative. I am curious to see what needs to happen to get Dan Kelly and Morgan Clawson's comments. I am traveling this weekend but will try to keep an eye on the comments and reply to anyone's questions.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Stephen Davis

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:25 PM »
I had the privilege of playing Keller this past weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed the round and the course was a lot of fun. The only controversial parts that I can see would be the preservation of the trees in front of 4 and 17. I think they both work. I would make a small change on 17, but it wouldn't be to take out the tree, and the change I would make would entirely depend on the intent of the designer, so it might be a moot point. Has to be one of the best value golf courses I have played. Right up there with Rustic Canyon, Wild Horse and CommonGround. Great job to all involved!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 10:56:53 AM »
I am curious to see what needs to happen to get Dan Kelly and Morgan Clawson's comments.

Now that this thread has resurfaced, I will note that I sent my comments directly to Rich -- and will continue to hold off commenting here till our Minnesota GCA contingent has gathered to play the course, later this month (or at least that has been the plan).

No one should presume anything from my reticence (which, by the way, does not mean reluctance, no matter how many people use it that way).

Oh, and by the way:

Did you see the news about "literally"? God, help us -- literally and figuratively: http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

Rees Milikin

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
I am curious to see what needs to happen to get Dan Kelly and Morgan Clawson's comments.

Oh, and by the way:

Did you see the news about "literally"? God, help us -- literally and figuratively: http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/

Geez, this is worse than people spelling lose, loose.  I wonder when we will see a spelling change in that word.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2014, 08:59:03 PM »
I had to make a fast run into the TCs and arrived there at 445P Monday.  I called ahead from the road and said I only had time for 9.  I got right on with a local 3some.  I only played the front.  The turf in FW was pretty good with some bounce and run.  The new greens actually had a head start from my own county full greens reconstruction at Brown County.  I will say for whatever reason, the growin at Keller is decent, but significantly lags ours in texture.  The Keller HOC  is higher, yeilding a slower and bit more bumpy putt.  If I didn't have our own to compare the green growin progress, I would say Keller is good for the growin time frame.  

Since I only played Keller once a few months before close to renovate, I probably can't declare for certsin but, I did feel the greens contours may have been softened and some greens sizes reduced.  That is only an impression.  I'll leave it for the TC fellows and of course Richard to fill details in.  The course is still a wonderful community asset.  I love the place for its offer of an enjoyable round of golf.  I have no beef with leaving the tree in at the short par 3.  I would have been keen to route the cart path to leave the tee area and cross left to right well ahead of the tree and green, even if I had to melt the hummoch near the pond down a foot or two.  I would have backed the green up with the dreaded Reese's pieces or even an Eden like beach bunker than the cart path there now.  Maybe there was a wetland envioro restraint...  Was the green reduced in width on the right side?

The clubhouse is about right for the venue IMHO.  Food and bev was quite reasonable and good.  Don't know about rental or group facilities for outtings and party events, but it seems the have some options to offer that.

I hope to get back in the next few weeks and join the TC guys to hear impressions.  I am pretty sure the back nine is still the stronger test of golf.  We'll see.... ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:04:05 PM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2014, 11:54:18 PM »
Dick, we had an unbelievably wet spring -- a record in some parts of the Twin Cities, which couldn't have helped the grow-in. That said, when I did a walk-around just before Keller Opened, I was amazed at how great the tees looked. The greens, on the other hand, will definitely take another year before they get to optimum condition. And, yes, the greens have been flattened a bit to tolerate greater green speeds. A couple of the old greens -- 5, 12 and 15, in particular -- were almost unputtable at any speed. Richard can answer this better than I can, but I don't think the 4th green has been reduced on the right.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2014, 02:23:40 PM »
RJ,

Thanks for the input.  To answer your questions about the greens, only four greens were reduced in size - 4, 12, 13, and 17.  The rest were enlarged. This was as a result of my choice to restore the size and shape of the greens derived from a 1940 aerial we overlaid.  The green average jumped from 4800 sf to 5300 square feet.  I think that the slight size increase may provide the partial illusion that some of the greens were softened.  Only a few were softened based upon concerns brought up by the golfers and County officials.  The greens that most come to mind as requiring softening going into the renovation were 3, 5, 8, 13, and 15.  Other putting surfaces were softened in spots and more severe in others.  There is a good amount of 4 -5 % slopes mixed in with 2-3% slopes.  Anything more and the greens would become a problem for the majority of golfers.  Of course, the difference between 2% and 5% is a matter of inches and undetectable by the average eyes. Yet the difference in playability is great.

Originally the fifth green was a 5% back to front consistent slope.  now there are stepped slopes mixing 4-5% with softer percentages gently working its way down the hill.  #15 is similar, but a bit different because I was able to cut a ridge down in the back which did not require adjusting the front of the putting surface as much. 

It is interesting and I would love to hear people's opinions that some have said that the character of a few holes was lost and when asked to elaborate, they said the putting surfaces were softened.  They then offered that nothing else contributed to the character loss. 

Regarding #4, the green was brought in from both sides significantly and reduced in size from 5,770 sf to 4950 sf.  But it was deepened in the back.

RJ,  I am interested in your suggestion of bringing the cart path in front of the hole in order to have some protection in the back. The path originally crossed diagonally as you suggested, but to me the sight was so hideous that it was a no-brainer to move it to the left.  It also allowed me to bring the tee box away from the heavy treeline on the left for more sunlight. 

For such a short hole, i think that no protection behind contributes to its challenge to have little behind the green to stop a golf shot.  Others were a bit critical about that concept, but if there was a pond in front guarding the putting surface, most people wouldn't think twice about it if a shot fell just short and into the water. 

The interesting point there is that hazards in front of greens seem acceptable, but hazards behind seem more unfair.  Anyone have a thought on that?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 06:04:51 PM »
Richard, when I return there in a few weeks, I'll take another look and snap a few pix.  But, I feel rather strong against the idea of the asphalt cart path running the entire distance of the whole back of the green with about a 6ft strip of blue grass separating the path from the collar-putting surface, then a very narrow strip more of bluegrass before the land falls into a bushy ravine. 

As for the comment the path did run across the front of the teeing ground and you felt looked hideous, I actua, ly do not have that memory from the one and only previous round I played there.  So, it didn't leave a lasting "hideous" impression with me.   I just think a path, perhaps camouflaged by cutting it deeper than the native terrain a foot, and some form of flat rock ledge on near bank of cart path to futher hide it might have served the need better than the current path route and location.

No question this hole presented you as the remodelling architect with a set of challenges from diverse and strong opinions about the quirky tree, to the confined space with the ravine behind.  I for one think the hole is one of those "character" concepts.  The character comes from its sense of place and location, the quirky tree that has its own place in local tradition and history unique to this one hole.  I'm not concerned at all with the double hazard-penalty nature of theguarding tree and the front left bunker.  That situation leaves a recovery up and down par.  But, a ball long and hitting the path on the fly or first or second bounce running down into the junk is too much unpleasantness to extract, IMHO.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back