News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Fairways and fall foliage
« on: October 17, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
I love fall. The leaves turning.  The crispness in the air.  The leaves falling.  I would drive five hours to see the bright yellows, reds and browns of maples.  Especially if it’s on a golf course.

In fact, I did last weekend.  

I hopped in the car after work Friday and spent the weekend at Kingsley. Six rounds and about 200+ photos.  It was two weeks since I was last there for the Mashie and the change in the leaves’ colors was profound as you can see in the first photo below.  One of the two “optimal” weekends for fall foliage, according to the club’s GM.  I believe him.  Below are a few photos.

How’s the foliage near you? Would be great to see any photos of the leaves on courses near you.

#13 green and wall of trees on #12 fairway (top: Sept. 27; bottom: Oct. 12)

#6 (view from #2 back tee)

#8 (view from hill on right side of fairway)

#8 (view from #9 back tee)

#9 green in the foreground; #8 in background

« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:30:54 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

JC Jones

Re: Fairways and fall foliage
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
Beautiful, Howard.  There is no place like home.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

BHoover

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
Kingsley in the fall has to be absolutely spectacular. These pictures are great.

The more I see and read about Kingsley, the more I love the place. I had an absolute blast playing the course over the four rounds I got in during the Mashie. There are so many different and cool shots to be played that it seems like the kind of place you'd never get tired of playing.

I can't wait to get back there at some point. I've been telling my friends that it's a must-play.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 06:56:26 PM »
Views are overrated.  It's history and rankings that really get the juices flowing...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Meh,
I hate looking for golf balls amongst fallen leaves.
Looks pretty though.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Brian Finn

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 09:15:37 PM »
Kingsley in the fall has to be absolutely spectacular. These pictures are great.

The more I see and read about Kingsley, the more I love the place. I had an absolute blast playing the course over the four rounds I got in during the Mashie. There are so many different and cool shots to be played that it seems like the kind of place you'd never get tired of playing.

I can't wait to get back there at some point. I've been telling my friends that it's a must-play.

Sounds like someone is signing up for a national membership.  

Awesome photos.  
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

John Foley

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »
LOVE golf in the fall - nothing like it - here is a few from recent

Integrity in the moment of choice

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »
Views are overrated.  It's history and rankings that really get the juices flowing...

Truth.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. 

John, nice photos. Where is that?

I hope you're right!
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:17:54 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. 

John, nice photos. Where is that?

I hope you're right!

Already asked my wife about it. She just laughed and rolled her eyes. I think that's a good sign!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
Already asked my wife about it. She just laughed and rolled her eyes. I think that's a good sign!

Perfect! You're all set. See you in May in Michigan!

BHoover

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 05:23:57 PM »
Here is Kirtland CC #10 (courtesy of Dean DiBerardino's thread). Now that's some great looking NE Ohio fall foliage!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:30:37 PM by Brian Hoover »

John Foley

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 08:29:07 PM »
Howard

First is Hole #5 at Reservoir Creek in Naples NY

Second is between #5 & #6 at Whitinsville MA
Integrity in the moment of choice

BHoover

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 07:15:48 AM »
I woke up early this morning (or rather, my dogs and cat woke me up early to get their breakfast), and turned on the local morning news to see the weekly forecast. I won't repeat what I said when I heard that there's a possibility for wet snow on Wednesday here in central Ohio. Snow??? What the hell happened to fall?

Fall is my favorite time of year except for one very critical reason--it's followed by winter.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:33 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Another good reason for more tree reduction programmes!

Do any courses deliberately lower the cut of the rough from early autumn time to make finding balls easier amongst the rough/leaves? Looking for balls in the rough/amongst leaves doesn't half slow up play and at £3+ for a single ProV1 you tend not to want to lose them.

All the best.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 02:45:09 PM »
John, thanks for identifying them. Looks great.

Brian, wow. The colors are really popping. Almost painting-like.  

Here are a few more shots from Kingsley this weekend that the club sent me.  The leaves on #14, which is the far SE corner of the property, are more vibrant than last week. The two angles from #13 tee are quite nice as well.

View of #2 green from 5 tee

#13; view from gold tee looking toward blue tee & #12

#13; view behind the gold and white tee

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:46:57 PM by Howard Riefs »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
It looks like they've had better weather in Kingsley than we've had down in southern MI!!  Course looks great as ever--have they burned out the gunch yet this year or have they stopped doing that? 

Paul Gray

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 03:25:27 AM »

Couldn't agree more. Another good reason for more tree reduction programmes!

All the best.

I absolutely agree. I suspect opinions may be affected by which side of the pond you reside on. Looking for balls amongst soggy brown leaves is not quite the same as seeing the majesty of an american autumn in full effect.

To hell with unnecessary and expensive watering policies and the like, I'd be far happier if greenkeeping teams would abandon such nonsense and spent just a fraction of the money clearing those bloody leaves!
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Howard Riefs

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
Bump for fall. 

Let's see some more foliage!

David_Tepper

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
Howard -

Check out Jon Cavalier's thread on Myopia Hunt Club! Some awesome fall foliage:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59738.0.html

DT

Thomas Dai

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »
"Hey guys, anyone see my Pro V1?"

atb

Steve Lang

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »
 8) just hit it on the green, stop whining, and enjoy N Mich..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Brian Finn

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »

« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:27:30 PM by Brian Finn »
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:24 PM »
Fall at Whippoorwill, from earlier this week.

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »
Whippoorwill Biarritz (with waterfall)

Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back