News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Rock Creek Cattle Company - Photo Thread
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 03:50:36 PM »
TD states:

The weather changes quite abruptly in Montana, back and forth.  May through October is pretty dependable golf weather although it's possible to get sub-freezing weather on either end.  It's also possible to get 70-degree days outside that window.  The course remains available whenever members want to play it.

The elevation varies from 4960 ft. at the high point of the course (7th tee) down to 4580 ft. at the 17th green.

It's bentgrass greens, but dwarf bluegrass fairways and tees.  I was skeptical of the dwarf bluegrass providing a firm surface when we started, but the superintendent got it so firm and fast that the membership asked him to tone it down a bit.

I simply don't have enough playing experience on good fescue FWs to become an ardent fan.  I'm basically a hack but like to try to move shots left and right to meet the golf hole design challenges.  So, I can pull them off on occasion and it is pretty much the essence of enjoying great design over interesting terrain.  With that said, I love to play on firm and fast dwarf blue as found at Wild Horse and Bayside. I enjoy hitting off those surfaces. Therefore, it seems to me that Rock Creek would also be a blast.

My question to Tom is with his revealing remark above that seems to have indicated a bit of preconceived bias against dwarf blue, and a history of lobbying the owner towards fescue from the experience of High Pointe, do you now have a greater likelihood to recommend dwarf blue in harsher climates, if the soil is right?  Most particularly, I'm interested in what thoughts you might have IF... that sand based terrain in Adams Co., is pursued.  Would you be comfortable with a dwarf blue FW scheme?  

I'm guessing the question becomes that the transition from FW to approach of the dwarf blue onto the greens surrounds at Rock Creek may be similar to the issues faced at Wild Horse.  The dwarf blue overtaking the previous fescue dominated then dominated by bent, now more blue moving right up to the green collar is more springy and bounding and not as pure of a roll as the original firm fescue on surrounds, thus chipping or putting from near and off the green is a bit less an option on the longer cut dwarf blue.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Sean Leary

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
Tom,

Are there are still plans to possibly build the green on 18 in the original intended location?

George Freeman

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »
The most difficult part of the routing was the part I solved first -- where to cross the creek at the top end, and how to get up to that point.  I had been considering a routing like we built at Dismal River, that started from a remote starting point and played back to the lodge, because I was concerned that the first few holes would be too steeply uphill to be walkable.  But I started trying to avoid that once I realized that everyone would get in a cart to get up to a remote starting point, and once I'd walked around the property for a few days, I thought that the climb might be manageable.

It was fairly easy to find the par-3 8th hole to cross the creek; if you could read a topo map, you'd see that most other spots were far too steep to consider.  The hard part was finding a hole to deliver you to the 8th tee that was NOT another par-3, because the land was so rugged in that section of the property.  #7 was a real leap of faith, based on my ability to read the map and visualize, because that part of the ground was heavily wooded ... not even Bill Coore would ever have found that hole on foot.  Likewise, #10 and #11 and #13 and #14 were all part of my original routing on paper, done before I walked the site for the first time, and they are really the backbone of the course for me.  The first three holes are Eric's contribution; the last three owe much to the client Bill Foley and to his friend Tom Devlin, who asked me to re-think avoiding that valley after I had shied away from it originally because of the overhead power lines.  So, the routing took several trips over several months to come together, even though I had the most difficult part figured out right up front.

This is what makes this website so cool.  Awesome insight.  Thanks Tom.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

George Freeman

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 04:41:11 PM »
Tom,

Are there are still plans to possibly build the green on 18 in the original intended location?

Where was the original intended location??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Cliff Walston

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
I am all for a Ballyneal, Dismal, Rock Creek home and away team competition over the next few seasons.  Anyone with me?

That would be cool, but most of the members at Rock Creek are content to stay there all summer.  I've tried to get a few to come down and play my other courses with little success.

I don't give up that easily, and I am happy for Rock Creek to be the first host.   ;)

Simon Holt

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »
Damn. First I go through Dismal Red two or three threads up, and now this. And very few seem to feel either of these are Renaissance design's best. Giving thanks to those who are responsible.

Brian,

I love what I see of Rock Creek and as for Dismal, its the most interesting of Tom's courses I've played.  I'm not sure if I am completely alone or people are playing it down because of past threads.  Its very, very good.

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Ron Csigo

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2013, 09:29:35 AM »
Hi Simon,

Which Doak courses have you played other than Dismal and Renaissance? 

The Dismal Red and Rock Creek threads have put both courses on my must see lists.

Great photos George!  Thanks.
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Sean Leary

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 02:11:02 PM »
Tom,

I believe to the left on the other side of the creek.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »
Tom,

That wasn't really the original intended location; I considered the location, but there were some springy areas and I thought we'd have a lot of trouble with permits.

Turns out I was right.  They explored the permits for the other location last year, and gave up after a little while.

PCCraig

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 11:46:39 AM »
Tom,

That wasn't really the original intended location; I considered the location, but there were some springy areas and I thought we'd have a lot of trouble with permits.

Turns out I was right.  They explored the permits for the other location last year, and gave up after a little while.

I like the current green, even though I was told it was softened a bunch since opening (last year?). The 18th is a fun reachable par-5 and I like that if you bail out right away from the water you are left with a super difficult pitch with the green running away from you. I think a green location on the other side of the creek is where you would expect most architects would of placed the green with a "risk reward" element of carry the water to reach the green in two. The current green is more subtle, but it could be argued that it's just as effective.

Also, the view from the (new?) back tee on top of the hill on #18 is incredible.
H.P.S.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »
Any word on how many inches of snow RC received?
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
I'm curious about one thing, George. You write "one of the few forced carries" beneath your second photo on hole #1. From the photos you've given us, nearly every hole has a forced carry of one sort or another. It might be a child's carry of some forty yards, or a manly one of much more, but they show up on nearly every tee shot.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm curious about one thing, George. You write "one of the few forced carries" beneath your second photo on hole #1. From the photos you've given us, nearly every hole has a forced carry of one sort or another. It might be a child's carry of some forty yards, or a manly one of much more, but they show up on nearly every tee shot.

You are right, every hole has some kind of carry you need to cover. When playing, that thought NEVER crossed my mind. It is like Pine Valley. Forced carries on nearly every hole. Maybe that's what makes a great golf course? :-)
Mr Hurricane

paul cowley

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:18 AM »
Good photo thread...I am seeing a lot of framing and background bunkering that is more visual than strategic, and not really much in play. Don't see a lot of cart paths either...hmmm  :)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tom_Doak

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »
Good photo thread...I am seeing a lot of framing and background bunkering that is more visual than strategic, and not really much in play. Don't see a lot of cart paths either...hmmm  :)

Paul:

I just went back through all the pictures to see if you were right about the bunkering.  It is very "visual" -- all of my associates are obsessed with composition -- but honestly, I did not count too many that aren't in play. 

There ARE a lot more bunkers than I would normally like to see, but we used a lot of them as buffers between the fairway and the "native", because the native areas are so rocky; it's tough to use them alone as a strategic influence because you might have to take a drop anywhere you're off the fairway.

Eric is good at hiding cart paths, too, but a lot of them are "hidden" because there isn't one ... paths are generally green to tee, and the turf areas on several holes connect together so you can keep the carts on the grass.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 11:36:12 AM »
Awesome pics George!
Last 6:
NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)

Dave McCollum

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
-- but of all Tom's work that I've 'seen' this strikes me as the height of his 'conceptual insight'. That is, the underlying approach and vision here -- present, I suppose, as the routing first took shape and before all the details and hazards and green/contours had been developed, and then informing all those subsequent choices and developments --  stands out as the determing factor in the course's success, as architecture and as field of play. To conceive of a course on that kind of dramatic terrain that seems to almost disappear within that terrain strikes me as a first rate and (ironically) bold artistic choice, and the kind of choice that only a mature and confident artist-craftsman would have been able to conceptualize/intuit/see.  
Peter

I'm not as philosophical as our friend Peter and am not sure what "conceptual insight" is.  During the round and talking about it on the drive back to our cabin the thing that struck me, and also many commenting here, is that I have never seen a course that sits so gently and perfectly on its landscape.  Since then I've seen some other great mountain courses such as Clear Creek Tahoe, but I haven't seen anything to bump RCCC from the top in this category.  

We tried to play it again last week, but didn't get invited.  Instead we spent 3 days playing nearby Old Works, a fun course and an fine example of using golf to rectify an environmental nightmare and to boost the economy of a dying town.  If nothing else, OW has to be one of the best small town "munis" in the US.  However, in terms of pure golf, it is a distant relative of RCCC.  

George Freeman

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:51 PM »

Ronald -

I should have been more specific:  one of the only forced carries on the course for an approach shot.  Actually I just went through the photos again and the first hole is the only hole on the course with a forced carry for a second or third shot.  Obviously many of the tee shots have some sort of "forced" carry, but to my recollection, none of them even entered my mind as a challenge to carry from the tee, especially if you're playing the correct set of tees.
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 01:00:47 PM »
Tom, Could you describe any thoughts you have on the very first bunker, in the series that leads up the hill to the green on #10?

There's just something that doesn't fit my eye about it. Not the placement, so much as the size in relation to the rest of the series.

Do I recall you once saying it was an add on?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
I am all for a Ballyneal, Dismal, Rock Creek home and away team competition over the next few seasons.  Anyone with me?

That would be cool, but most of the members at Rock Creek are content to stay there all summer.  I've tried to get a few to come down and play my other courses with little success.

I don't give up that easily, and I am happy for Rock Creek to be the first host.   ;)

Cliff -

Now that I am a member of Stonewall (two Doak courses), maybe we can include Stonewall in the competition. I would love to come out and play Rock Creek, Ballyneal again and Dismal too. Let's get it done.
Mr Hurricane

Tom_Doak

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »

Cliff -

Now that I am a member of Stonewall (two Doak courses), maybe we can include Stonewall in the competition. I would love to come out and play Rock Creek, Ballyneal again and Dismal too. Let's get it done.

It would be a great inter-club tournament:

The Renaissance Club
Sebonack
Stonewall
Lost Dunes
Medinah
Dismal River
Ballyneal
Rock Creek
Tumble Creek
Stone Eagle

Plus there are some good resort tracks they could go when nobody felt like hosting.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
Great tour of what appears to be a very special place.  I'd love to make it out there eventually.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Cliff Walston

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2014, 07:16:22 PM »

Cliff -

I am in. Let me know when and I will make the trek to Philly.  Would love to play Stonewall.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »

Cliff -

It would be a great inter-club tournament:

The Renaissance Club
Sebonack
Stonewall
Lost Dunes
Medinah
Dismal River
Ballyneal
Rock Creek
Tumble Creek
Stone Eagle

Plus there are some good resort tracks they could go when nobody felt like hosting.

Now that sounds like fun.  I'm certain there would be more than a few interested in something like this.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jim Franklin

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2014, 08:50:21 AM »
Cliff -

You are welcome any time. Let me know when you are in Philly/Baltimore. As for the event, who wants to take charge? Let's get it done.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back