News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Gallant GANTON GC
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2015, 09:33:35 AM »
In Northumberland it's been a wet summer, so I expect it has in the East Riding, too.  That would explain the thickness of the rough (which wasn't any worse than the rough at the Northumberland, for instance) but not the extent of it, nor the encroachment of gorse and shrubbery into what I would consider the playing corridors.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
My week at Ganton was in 2012 during a bone-dry September following a drier than usual August. I thought the fairways per se were wide enough for play in the 10mph breezes I had most of the week. Only one round was some serious wind, gusting about twice that much, and I found the "rough" quite often. But it was so baked out that unless some wispy stuff grabbed the hosel, no worries. Flyers galore but no wedge out sideways type stuff.

I'll take Mark and Sean at their word that serious vegetation like gorse and shrubbery do impeded play but I have to wonder whether some of that encroachment has been since 2012. I only recall a couple of holes where I felt like I needed to steer well clear of that sort of stuff by aiming away from the obvious playing line.

To my memory, much of the heavy upright vegetation was far enough from the fairway that a rolling ball would be stopped by the rough and an aerial shot would have to be seriously errant (again, with the exception of 2-3 holes). In any case I'd say more than half the holes were fairway/rough/bunkers only in play and my impression was of sufficient but not extreme width.

Usual caveats apply. Memory is from 3 years ago, I am a very short and usually somewhat straight hitter and I doubt I encountered any winds or gusts over 20mph for more than 45 minutes total during my six rounds.

Sean_A

Re: Gallant GANTON GC New
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2015, 09:47:00 AM »
Brent

I am not trying to be funny, but I don't think you hit the ball far enough to really challenge the bunkers at their pinch points unless you move forward of the daily tees.  There is space to lay back, but that makes for a long day.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:34:49 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Hutto

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2015, 09:59:22 AM »
For better or worse, it was so dry and firm that week (not quite like Hoylake the year Tiger won but definitely iron shots kicking up puffs of dust instead of grass from the fairway) that I found I actually did have to take into account more bunkers than I would have anticipated just looking at a Strokesaver or something.

I can recall several times landing 30 yards short and 20 yards wide of a bunker and rolling into it with plenty of momentum to spare. Another caveat of my memory is, I was so damned focused on not getting into those bunkers that I may have been blissfully unaware of the odd gorse bush out in my peripheral vision!

But yes, point taken. Ganton is is that category where even medium-length hitters will encounter difficulties that are beyond my tee shots and easily bypassed with my long second shots.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
Brent,

I played 72 holes there in a couple of days back in 2003, which was the hottest driest summer in recent memory.  It was an absolute blast and played pretty easy because the rough wasn't a problem at all.  I do think that some of the gorse has grown in since then, too.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2016, 12:57:33 AM »
I played Ganton yesterday and was highly impressed.

After an appallingly wet winter during which most golfers have been at risk of trench-foot, Ganton was a shock. The fairways and particularly the greens were bone dry and frighteningly fast. Can there be a better winter course in the country? Is there any point paying the summer green fee?

I loved the fact that off the daily tees a modest length hitter like myself was at no disadvantage. I played with three low single figure handicappers and their greater length simply found them more trouble. Ganton is a course where steady accurate golf is rewarded and good scoring possible if you stay out of the bunkers and gorse. Few holes are out of reach in regulation for average players who  plot their way round carefully.

The greens are some of the very best I've ever seen. Lively undulations and deceiving borrows are consolidated by immaculate conditioning. Even in February!

Ganton leaps into my admittedly parochial top 3 alongside Alwoodley and Formby. I certainly found it the most fun.

A warning to anyone travelling to Ganton, however.  Avoid Leeds any time between 7am and 10am. It took me 3.5 hours to get there from Manchester and only 2 hours to get back.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:08:24 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Sean_A

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2016, 05:04:16 AM »
Duncan

Your description of trouble for bigger hitters was exactly what I didn't like about Ganton.  You crow now, but go back in summer when the course is keen and you may sing a different tune.  So many holes are of a penal nature being pinched between sand and rough/gorse...sometimes with canted fairways pushing balls into trouble.  I think Ganton is great, but if it the corridors were wider it would shoot up my best of list. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:36:12 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2016, 07:03:13 AM »
You may well be right Sean, but it might also just be a yellow tee problem. The course from the white and blue tees plays a lot longer and the pinching problem you describe would only be an issue for the real flat bellies.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2016, 07:29:48 AM »
Duncan,

Ganton is always really firm even in winter as you have noted but in summer the ball does seem to roll for ever on many of the holes which might lead to the problem that Sean is talking about.

Jon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2016, 07:40:05 AM »
TOO firm and fast?

;)

Mark Pearce

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2016, 07:54:21 AM »
TOO firm and fast?

;)
I spent a couple of days there with Giles Payne in the summer of 2003, which you may recall was a drought and heatwave in the UK.  The course was like concrete but was an absolute blast to play.  Amongst the most enjoyable golf trips I have ever been on.  You did need to think about club selection and pick very, very canny lines and had to accept playing a lot of shots from the (at the time) very thin first cut but I don't recall playability being anything of an issue then.  As I said earlier in the thread, though, I think that corridors are a bit narrower now than they were then and most summers the rough will be a lot thicker than it was in the driest, hottest summer I can remember!

Sean_A

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2016, 08:02:02 AM »
TOO firm and fast?

;)

Duncan

No way...Ganton was in absolute top nick when I was there. I wouldn't want to see the course less keen.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 09:36:59 PM by Sean_A »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »
Has anyone a recommendation of the best course other than Ganton within half an hour from Scarborough? This rules Seaton Carew and Fulford out...

What about Filey or South Cliff?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2016, 12:30:56 PM »
Has anyone a recommendation of the best course other than Ganton within half an hour from Scarborough? This rules Seaton Carew and Fulford out...

Filey is okay and requires a good short game. Not sure if Hornsea is close enough but it is not a bad course and usually in decent nick. I recall the course at Flamborough Head having some good holes as does Scarborough North Cliff. None are world beaters but certainly enjoyable.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »

Filey is okay and requires a good short game. Not sure if Hornsea is close enough but it is not a bad course and usually in decent nick. I recall the course at Flamborough Head having some good holes as does Scarborough North Cliff. None are world beaters but certainly enjoyable.

Thanks Jon. I'm trying to base a trip around Ganton but need to flesh it out with two cheaper courses. Looking at staying at a lovely wee hotel in Filey. Decent small town for views, food and a few gentle pints?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2016, 01:17:11 PM »
Ally,

another thought would be York Golf Club (Strensil) which is a good 18 hole course east of York close to the A64. Not sure if it is close enough or at the right price.

Jon

Giles Payne

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2016, 05:45:46 PM »
Have a look at Beverley - it is an old course on common ground with cattle much in the same vein as a number of GCA favourites and play close to the race course. I have only played it once but remember enjoying it. http://beverleygolfclub.co.uk/Home.aspx

It had it's centenary in 1989 so it has plenty of history.

Beverley is an old town from the wool trade (technically a city as it has a cathedral) and was obviously wealthy at one time.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2016, 03:59:05 AM »
Giles,

Beverly is indeed a quirky course that many here would enjoy. I had completely overlooked and you are correct that along with a visit to the town it certainly is one to consider.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2016, 04:08:01 AM »
Beverley Minster is a gothic masterpiece and one of the great buildings of England; no-one with any interest in architecture would find a visit there a waste of time.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2017, 03:20:34 AM »
Ganton = the best inland course in GB&I according to my newly formed opinion, more of which can be seen on the Ganton vs Alwoodley thread.

Sean_A

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2017, 05:09:24 AM »
Ganton = the best inland course in GB&I according to my newly formed opinion, more of which can be seen on the Ganton vs Alwoodley thread.

Ally

Lets hear about other courses you played.

Ciao

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
Sean - I played Filey and Scarborough South Cliff, both of which had far more moments than I was expecting. Good topography and good variety in the holes.

Both somewhat lacking in detail design but they exceeded my - admittedly pretty low - expectations.

It is perhaps a shame that Ganton doesn't have another high quality course nearby to make the trip a more attractive proposition. I'd quite happily stick on Ganton itself for a whole 4 days but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2017, 03:11:05 PM »
Comments on another thread got me looking at this Ganton photo tour and also the drone flyover footage on the clubs website.
Really surprised by the number of trees and the amount of shade on some of the greens.
Most of the trees seem to be around 70-50-less yrs old and most likely self-seeded not planted which makes me wonder about maintenance regimes past and present and what the course might be like a few years/decades ahead if corrective measures aren't adopted.
Did sheep and cattle graze Ganton before WWII I wonder?
Atb

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2017, 05:16:28 PM »

Thomas,

I can recall winter grazing with sheep during the late 70's. Many of the trees are self seeders though more have been planted :'(

Ben Stephens

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2017, 08:29:57 AM »
Just seen Gordon Irvine's facebook that they are restoring the cape style bunker on the 18th  :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back