News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JC Jones

Re: The Cost of Building An Upscale Club
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 04:38:26 PM »
JC:

The clubhouse at my favorite golf course didn't cost $5M, and it serves it purpose quite nicely.

WW

WW,

Exactly.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
There was a great line in the recent Brad Klein interview - "Do it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it enjoyable from 6,200 yards. The clubhouse is irrelevant. The most important building is for maintenance."
All the best.

Rick Sides

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 05:05:49 PM »
Very interesting topic.  I asked the question because there is an amazing piece of land in the NJ pines about a mile away from my house, it was an old sand quarry- (sound familiar Pine Valley fans ) .  It is only 95 acres-maybe an amazing par 3 or executive course.The price just for land- 7 million.

JC Jones

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
Your model is Dunes Club in New Buffalo Michigan.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Rick Sides

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »
JC,
Right on the money!!!

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David_Tepper

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:23 PM »
"There was a great line in the recent Brad Klein interview - "Do it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it enjoyable from 6,200 yards. The clubhouse is irrelevant. The most important building is for maintenance.""

Thomas D. -

While I admire and agree with Brad Klein's comments, it must be pointed out that his comments were not directed towards developing an upscale club.

DT

Lou_Duran

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 05:14:40 PM »
There was a great line in the recent Brad Klein interview - "Do it cheap. Keep it simple. Make it enjoyable from 6,200 yards. The clubhouse is irrelevant. The most important building is for maintenance."
All the best.

A great line maybe and perhaps fine if you're building a course for Brad Klein.  I suspect that he is an outlier.  I would bet that a successful club today has to meet the needs and expectations of a wider, more normal clientele.

Where I play at this time, it was built to be a poor man's Preston Trail- good golf course and practice facility, modest, but comfortable clubhouse, adequate, but not over the top maintenance.  It was fed by the developer for years, but now that he is dead and most of the development land has been sold, his heirs don't want to subsidize the club anymore.  It is in a thriving family area and plans are to put in a swimming pool and greatly expand the dining facilities.  We'll see if it pays off, but as it stands today in the Klein mode, it doesn't work.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
Question:

If you buy an existing golf course and completely redesign/rebuild it, what is the permitting process like?  None?  Way less involved than a completely new project?  Can you basically do anything you want without authorization?
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2013, 05:08:34 PM »
Tom
In general it is way less involved.
Wetlands, streams & habitats still need to be managed.
And if no new "important" land was going to be utilized you would need the following:
A SWPPP - storm water & pollution plan
And most likely a grading plan showing that you won't effect the surrounding drainage - especially within cities
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Mike_Young

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Do we agree one can build an upscale club without an upscale course but it's hard to build an upscale course without it being an upscale club? :) :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back