News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AKikuchi

Re: Black Mesa conditioning - What is the issue?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »
Is that a grub?

It certainly looks like one. I was actually on the lookout for them, but didn't notice that one until looking at the picture after returning home. I don't know where grubs fall on the spectrum of turf issues, or whether they were in fact a big cause of the problems on the course, but those spotty dead-looking patches were fairly widespread.

astavrides

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »
I played there today. I hadn't been there since 2007.

It seems to be in significantly better condition than it was a month ago--judging from the description and the pictures posted on June 10. Not great condition, nor top 100 public course worthy condition nor even good condition, but definitely playable. I was never distracted by the lack of conditions, although it would have made it funner. Still a very fun round of golf, at an appropriately discounted rate ($46 riding at 1130 on a Sunday). My guess and hope is that the (new, I think) management is trying to get things back to the way they were.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:58 AM »
That's great news, thanks for the update!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

astavrides

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »
Yeah, still a long way to go, but reason for cautious optimism I think.

Jason Hines

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:27 PM »
After some confusion over a defunct website and a phone that was busy for several hours, I am set for 7am this coming Friday if anyone else would like to join.  I last played in October, 2003 in the officially sanctioned GCA event, looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:19:41 AM by Jason Hines »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:41 PM »
After some confusion over a defunct website and a phone that was busy for several hours, I am set for 7am this coming Friday if anyone else would like to join.  I last played in October, 2003 in the officially sanctioned GCA event, looking forward to it.

Has it really been that long since the Land of Enchantment Tour?   :o

Steve Lang

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:55 PM »
 8) Bill Yes it has and we've been back there twice... and to paa ko ridge.. but you may better remember the group's outing to a local fav

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 10:43:34 PM »
8) Bill Yes it has and we've been back there twice... and to paa ko ridge.. but you may better remember the group's outing to a local fav

I took a group of four couples there in May 2008.  Had a great time, played Black Mesa twice.  They weren't exactly sure what to make of it!   And yes, dinner at both the Pink Adobe and Shed.   Green sauce.

Jason Hines

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
A quick update before we head up the mountain for a morning hike.  I arrived at the course before most of the staff and read some of the announcements in the windows apologizing to patrons for the watering during the day and that they want to get the course conditions back to where they were in the past.  It had rained an inch the night before and the sprinklers were on when I arrived.  The fairways still had some bump and run, however the greens were fairly slow from what I remembered.  Overall, conditions were much better than I was expecting and probably have improved since Bill started this thread almost a year ago.  

There were some bare spots in the fairways and my guess is that you had about a 25% chance that your ball was going to end up in one of the spots.  There were still a decent amount of dandelions in the fairways and especially the rough, but quite honestly, everything was mowed down and did not affect the overall playability in my opinion.  You do get sense that conditions have and are improving.

I will say that I was happy that I returned after 11 years and that the fun factor still remains.  I love some of the blind drives over the flags on #1 and #4 and hit the drive of my life on #10 over the left side bunkers cutting the corner.  #11 is a very scenic par three and #13 with the hump in the middle is still a hoot.  The par 5, #16 which goes straight up the hill to a hill top green with a tremendous amount of movement is a hole where the design matches it’s beauty to me.

I have attached a few low quality photos of the day.

#17 I believe this is one of the rock formations used in the filming of "Looney Tunes", poor coyote..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 06:44:33 PM by Jason Hines »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »
Thanks for the skinny.

And that Moses ray pic is sick.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

astavrides

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2015, 11:20:45 AM »
I played there yesterday. Turfgrass (other than greens) was thicker and healthier looking than I remember it from last year, perhaps because NM has gotten a lot of rain this year. Grass was fairly high though in the fairway--not really firm nor fast. Towa, just down the road, which I also played yesterday was not in great shape either-lot of bare spots or over-watered spots, despite probably having a much bigger maintenance budget. Also, it was hard to get a tee to stick in their tee boxes and still have it high enough to be the appropriate height to tee a driver. Probably the local climate is not great for growing and maintaining grass, or else Towa's superintendent is not very good.

About 14 of the 18 greens on Black Mesa had brown lines and/or patches all over them, with several black spots with no grass. One of the 20ish year old Native Americans who man the pro shop said the issues with the greens were due to thatch, perhaps due to not aerating in the spring. They are scheduled to aerate this week, which he said he hoped would fix the issue after a while. I don't know enough about grass to know if that makes sense. The greens were slow as a result. (6 or 7 on the stimp I would guess, but that's just a guess)

Still I thought the conditions were ok for play and didn't really affect my score. I wouldn't take a non Kool-Aid drinking buddy out there this year though.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
Alex,
When I was there in March the fairways were spotty and the ball would settle down and this sweeper had to resort to preferred lies to have an enjoyable game. Is that still the case?  The greens were in good condition for coming out of the winter.

astavrides

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »
Alex,
When I was there in March the fairways were spotty and the ball would settle down and this sweeper had to resort to preferred lies to have an enjoyable game. Is that still the case?  The greens were in good condition for coming out of the winter.

No, the ball generally sat up pretty well on the fairways and rough. Summer is the rainiest season here and we got more than usual this year so most of the courses have been in good shape. There were a few bare spots, but I didn't end up in any of them. Not sure what your standard is though. I never fix a lie unless I'm playing in a competition that allows it.

James Brown

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 08:06:55 PM »
Played there in May.  Ranger told me they are under yet another management change and run by one of the tribes now and golf is not a big emphasis.  Said it was a budget issue.  Every other course in NM of note is always in grand shape.

mike_beene

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
Not to thread jack, but this seems a good place to ask if anyone has been out to Santa Fe CC lately. While it wasn't spectacular when I used to go there the greens would be nice a firm and the course better than people thought.Walked some beautiful high desert days out there.

astavrides

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2015, 02:11:02 AM »
Not to thread jack, but this seems a good place to ask if anyone has been out to Santa Fe CC lately. While it wasn't spectacular when I used to go there the greens would be nice a firm and the course better than people thought.Walked some beautiful high desert days out there.

It is an ok course. Conditioning was much improved this year. I much prefer Marty Sanchez Links just down the road from it.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2015, 12:52:15 PM »
I went there a few years ago (3-4 years) and the fairways and greens were in excellent shape....sad to hear they've been having issues.

The course is a gem IMO and would be a shame to become a dog track conditions wise...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back