News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Re: The Punchbowl - opens Friday the 13th of September
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 12:31:14 PM »
We have discussed lighting at length but are holding off on it for now.  My fear is that it would be so popular that they would completely wear out the grass on it.  Of course, some at the resort would see that as a good thing, but they should be careful what they wish for!

Chris DeToro

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:46 PM »
I'll be out there in November--can't wait to see it!!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »
The Bandon website features a Q&A with Tom and more:

http://www.bandondunesgolf.com/blog/punchbowl-opening-2014

Perhaps they should update the opening date...
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:21 PM »
I'll be there tomorrow, using the King's Putter.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2013, 01:13:43 PM »

Perhaps they should update the opening date...

I should have been more clear.  The official opening date is May 1, 2014.  Tomorrow is the beginning of preview play, which will run until the end of October.  They are doing this to get a feel for how many people will play it and how to deal with operating the facility.  The green will be closed this winter.

Eric Smith

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the photos Eric. It looks like a lot of fun.

Jon

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 05:58:52 PM »
Bunch of pics here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.700234686657430.1073741830.161078460573058&type=1

I am in the far right picture on the third line. High 5s after an ace on the 2nd. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 05:08:12 PM »
Peter,

What did you think of it?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »
Peter,

What did you think of it?
Tom,
I had to go to Bandon so I could justify spending $500 at Fiddler's Green for a carry bag, shoes and rangefinder, which all crapped out the weekend before at Sagebrush.  

The routing we played started with two half pipes, a turn south for two holes part the miniforest, then the strong uphiller.
Sensory overload on picking lines, none of which were obviously the best. The choices was really greenspeed dependent. There were a couple of drink stands by the hole arrows, so I played the arrows the first 18 and the other one for the second cicuit, which was much more brutal.

If the stimp was 7.5 on opening day I'd suggest topping it off at 8.5 because the misreads, mishits, etc become brutal after that. The hardest part of management of he Punchbowl will be walking the fine line between fun and competition.

If they ever have any opening ceremony at a tournament, this is the venue. It would have been a rocking good time to watch the Curtis Cup sides on it. I would put it at least equal to the Himilayas. Wipes out  Sagebrush's Badlands. World Woods is a notch below.

I think it will be a smash hit at the resort. Everybody was having fun, the green concierge, Ray from Texarcana, is as big a plus as Shoe. A dedicated drink cart :D a tray carrying bartender ;D ;D ;D. I'd just outlaw chewing tobacco and sunflower seeds or add the nesessary spitoons.

Depending on when it opens each day (9/13 was at 2 p.m) Punchbowl is a better warmup for your courses tha the large green in the practice area. I'd use that for BD and BT.Only saw one ace, which was on the second hole in the 100 minutes I was putting, using the King's Putter.

About time for a best practice putting green rating by one of the magazines.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:19:38 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jud_T

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 07:29:51 PM »
In the larger scheme of things, this might be the most exciting course opening this year.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
It was worth a four hour drive from Portland, even with no other golf.

William_G

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2013, 08:08:17 PM »
It was worth a four hour drive from Portland, even with no other golf.

nice, that says it all!
It's all about the golf!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »
In the larger scheme of things, this might be the most exciting course opening this year.

Well, I think there is more variety to the new course at Dismal River, where I also just spent three happy days.  I just wish it got half as much exposure as the Punchbowl will.

Jud_T

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:19 AM »
Tom,

No disrespect for Dismal Dos intended, I'm psyched to see the course myself.  I meant that in terms of where the game is headed with regards to cost, time, fun for all abilities, environmental impact, getting women, children and aging arthritic boomers more involved etc. that the Punchbowl was very exciting in terms of potential influence.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rees Milikin

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »
This looks like so much fun and really wish there were more of these.  I would love to see one at Streamsong, but I am not going to get my hopes up.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
Pete,

In my computer, a carry bag crapping out at Sagebrush does not compute. Are you on some new extreme fitness thing?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 12:19:58 PM »
Nice pic via Bandon Dunes Facebook..https://www.facebook.com/BandonDunesGolf

Tom_Doak

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
Eric:

That's a great photo in terms of setting the scale of the place and the amount of contour, even though it only shows about 60% of the green.  [It cuts out the bottom of the bowl around the pine trees to the left, and the whole NW section of the green as well.]

I don't think it's possible to capture the whole thing in one photo.  Having more people on it would help.  Other than Pete Pittock, I still haven't heard from anyone who's played on it in the soft opening.

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2013, 05:04:02 PM »
Tom, I played all the courses including the par 3 and punchbowl on the 17th. The putting course was great fun and our entire group of 40 enjoyed it. Quite a Variety of holes and terrain to lay out a putting course. My non archie buddies enjoyd the bar and quick time around. Well done.

Jerry
Times flys and your the pilot !

Max Sternberg

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:05 PM »
Was out at Bandon first week in August and walked around the Punchbowl (outside the edges of course!). Already looked spectacular and it was well shy of being grown in.

Putting courses in general should be a real priority for efforts at growing the game. I myself grew up playing regularly on vacation at a great little track called Pops in PB Gardens (now a Walmart/Target/K Mart/something). Was able to have fun and experience success even at the age of 2 and have been addicted ever since.

We need more large putting greens/courses like Punchbowl, Big Putt, and others to attract new players to the game.

But besides that, they are just flat out fun. There is nothing better than finishing up 36 and then settling ties in the virtual darkness over a putting match. Unfortunately, too many facilities today dont give you the opportunity to have that experience.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2013, 09:10:11 PM »
I don't know how The Punchbowl fits into Bandon's economic model, but I really wonder how it would fit anywhere. Besides the cost of construction( I'm sure it's on native soils at Bandon, but what about non-sandy sites?), how does a facility go about recuperating the initial invest as well as the typically high maintenance costs for a very large green? Do people pay by the hour to use such facilities?

Any know how this works at Bandon and elsewhere?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
I don't know how The Punchbowl fits into Bandon's economic model, but I really wonder how it would fit anywhere. Besides the cost of construction( I'm sure it's on native soils at Bandon, but what about non-sandy sites?), how does a facility go about recuperating the initial invest as well as the typically high maintenance costs for a very large green? Do people pay by the hour to use such facilities?

Any know how this works at Bandon and elsewhere?

Joe:

In general, you are right about the cost / benefit analysis.  When I built a big putting course green at High Pointe, all the owners could see was how much it would cost to maintain, and they couldn't imagine a way to charge for it, so they downsized it very quickly.

Right now, the plan in Bandon is to let golfers play for free, even though it will cost a significant sum to maintain every year.  I think Mike will get tired of that eventually, although it should increase the food & beverage take at the Pacific Dunes clubhouse substantially.  My guess is that it will get so crowded that they have to charge a small amount [say $5 or $10 a foursome] for a tee time at peak times in the evening hours, so there aren't problems keeping people in line.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Thanks, Tom.

In regards to The Punchbowl, did you take any efforts to do any screening or other type of debris removal from the rootzone over the entire area, or did it get a cleanup on top right before seeding, or some combination?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tom_Doak

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »
Thanks, Tom.

In regards to The Punchbowl, did you take any efforts to do any screening or other type of debris removal from the rootzone over the entire area, or did it get a cleanup on top right before seeding, or some combination?

Joe

We root-raked the entire area of the green pretty thoroughly at the beginning of shaping, and then cleaned it up again after shaping.  Plus I picked a bunch of roots and sticks out of it during the shaping, when Jim would kick them up with the dozer.  I try to make myself useful out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back