News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

In his fifth installment of golf in the Sandhills of Moore County, Chris traces the development of my beloved home course Southern Pines Golf Club from a simplistic nine hole course in 1906 to a 36 hole facility at the onset of the Great Depression. Laced with photos, postcards and articles from the period, Chris’s piece transports the reader back to the Golden Age of architecture.

The course is but a mile from my home and I have played some portion of the course (6 holes, 8 holes, maybe 10, 12 and even 18) probably 300 times since moving here from Australia. Many of those rounds have been with Chris and the quality of the place is such that we have never once tired of it. Standing on the elevated first tee always brings a sense of happiness about what we are about to experience (regardless of the quality of play).

At its core is a great routing over the best piece of property in the Sandhills of North Carolina. In fact, it’s one of the very best, tightest routings I’ve ever seen, up there in my top dozen with Sand Hills in Nebraska. The variety and manner in which the holes lay over the ground is nothing short of outstanding. The swooping drops in the hitting areas at 2 and 5, the one shot 7th over the rim of a thirty foot natural depression, the hog's back fairway at 8, the side slopes at 10 and 11, the list goes on. For that reason alone, I’ve always been 100% certain that the course was a Ross design. Too many things were too good for this to be beginner’s luck. The fact that Ross listed it in one of his advertisements back in the day confirmed as much. However, the complete absence of any other documentation (written or otherwise like hole diagrams) by Ross  has puzzled people in recent times and called into doubt the design pedigree. I presume that since he lived here, his needs for communicating what to do were far less important than if the course was being built out in the hinterlands.

To put an end to the mystery, Chris unearthed and then grouped in one place evidence that SPGC is indeed Ross. He traces the “hands on” work to J.N. Peacock and James MacNab who were Ross’s long time assistants in the Pinehurst area. An article from the Charlotte Daily Observer in 1914 chronicles the substantial changes/improvements to the course and Ross’s involvement. Ross’s right-hand man Frank Maples later converted the sand ‘greens’ to grass in 1938.

As Chris got into his research, he came up with the shocking revelation that golf was actually played in Southern Pines more than a year prior to Pinehurst.  It makes sense because the train from the north stopped in Southern Pines first and required a 7 mile trolley ride to Pinehurst.  Nonetheless, I have never read a hint or whiff of that anywhere else. Also, Chris found out – and it surprised/thrilled both of us -  that many greats including Sam Snead, Walter Hagen, Patty Berg and Babe Didrickson had played here. (Hagan's 1924 4-ball match was against the reigning British and French Open champions.) Chris and I may love Southern Pines unconditionally but it is nice affirmation that the powers that arranged such events/matches thought so highly of Southern Pines as well. Even the great Fownes family from Pittsburgh engaged in annual matches at SPGC for ~twenty-five years.

My favorite quotes and photos from Chris’s piece are the following which explain some of the allure of the place:

"The hills are rugged little mountains, giving all the charm desired to a climb or a walk in the pursuit of the game or in a ramble among the pine woods, where walks and roads and springs and forest foliage suggest the primeval." - SPGC Ad

Note the sand green in the distance.

Anyway, I am not going to wax on about the joys of golf here as those are risky waters for a homer like myself! Suffice to say, all of us who live in Moore County are lucky to have SPGC and we are all lucky to have Chris’s latest to mull over and savor. Golfers might be blind to the allure of certain places but that shouldn’t prevent us from learning more about them. That is just what has occurred with Chris’s latest stroll through the pines.

Best,
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:45:46 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Chris Buie's A History of Southern Pines Golf Club is posted under IMO
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:05:22 PM »
Chris.  Well done.  The history and research are superb.  

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:39:52 AM »
This is a terrific piece of work. It must have taken you ages. Well done Chris. A very nice introduction from Ran as well.
All the best.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »
Just incredible stuff Chris! Thank you.

And high praise from Ran. Between the two I'll have to revisit Southern Pines the next time I'm in the area.
H.P.S.

Chris Buie

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
Thanks much guys. Very kind. Thanks to Ran, Joe Bausch, Mike Cirba and Craig Disher as well.
For me, the story was fascinating so it was entirely a pleasure to look through the materials. It's pretty easy to do in the digital age - just type in a keyword and there's the articles. DigitalNC is where most of the articles came from.

Regarding the quality of the place today - it's Ran Morrissett's home course. That should tell you all you need to know about what caliber of course it is.  A rich and interesting history always adds to the appeal for me as well. To know that people like Ross, Walter Hagen and Sam Snead are part of the story somehow makes it more compelling.
Because the terrain and the way Ross worked with it were/are so brilliant I would definitely recommend you give it a go if you get the chance to visit.

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
 8)

Chris,

Very well done.  SPCC , aka The Elks' Club, was 2nd course I played in the Sandhills in 1979, and we always reserved it for 2+ rounds on first sunday of Go Carolina spring outing for over 25 years.  Hated to see the "back 9+" down the street from the pool go to waste.  I always had feeling it was an experimental field of play.

Wish I could walk out and play it right now and soak it in again.. maybe Go Carolina next spring..

thanks for your effort
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:33:00 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:56:32 PM »
Thanx Chris, It's interesting how the sand greens had a squareish shape to them. Juxtaposed to the sand greens still found out here in the other sand hills. On my one time visit to this course, I was impressed at how "fast" the compacted sand, under the tree canopy, was. My sense is that the ability to make firm fast putting surfaces, out of sand, without the aid of oil (like they do out here) made the sport much more enjoyable, and relatively close to our modern game. And it was that enjoyment which eventually led to the areas dominance as the go to golf resort. Which then led to other attempts, around the country. i.e. Pebble Beach    
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Chris Buie

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:06:24 PM »
Steve, I think there's a city ordinance or something where they can't mess with the 'little 9'. Presumably one day it will come back. They mow it on occasion so its not too far gone. I suppose some goat may try to do a retroactive deal so they can try to dump condos on there - but I don't think they'll get away with it.
The little 9 is the course I mainly learned to play on as a kid in the 70's. It was just right for that - and for others who didn't hit it so far. It never struck me as being on the same level as the first 18 but it very well may have been quite good back in Ross's day. The 5th hole was over 600 yards back then. Actually now that I think about it, it probably was a good course simply because I don't think Ross would have allowed his work to be second rate in his back yard - or any course he concentrated on. I can not picture him being ok with that at all. So it was most likely better than we would imagine today.

Adam, it's my understanding the sand greens putted pretty well but you didn't really want to land the approach on the green because it would go bounding off. They have a replica of those sand greens at the Tufts Archives now. You can pitch and putt there with hickories they'll lend you gratis.

Despite the fact that's it's a relatively long essay I left a lot out in order to keep the tempo semi-reasonable and not get too bogged down in tedium. I'll try to share some of that stuff when I get the chance. Here's a couple of comparisons from the 2nd course.

The first hole:

The 18th hole - later the 9th hole on the 'little 9'. Today it's the driving range.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
This was a great and interesting historical overview of SPGC.  But, I was disappointed that the history wasn't brought up to our present times.  Chris seems to leave the story at the point of the era of bankruptcy and is vague on how the club was financially tided over and how the ELKS became involved.  I have no idea, but there has to be substantial activity to bring the course to its modern day structure.  I haven't been there since slightly before Ran moved to SP.  I played there about 4-5 times on a couple separate trips to the area, and was very pleased to play with some of the regular good old fellows.  I don't know many of their back stories, but I got the impression in just how the 19th hole kidding and banter went that there are plenty of folks that seem to have much time and emotion invested in the current club's activity.  Also at the time I was visiting, the super was heavily involved with work to shore up the pond after 5 green - 6 tee and upgrade the irrigation.  Also, no mention of the remodeling of a couple of the old Ross greens, and I forget who that remodel archie was....  :-\ ::)  But, the remodel of some greens and surrounds definitely took out significant internal contours and mounded surrounds different than Ross had designed.  If I'm not mistaken, there were areas where greens surrounds had smaller mounds (Rees's pieces sort of design) and took our some of the Ross run away collection areas off of greens.  (I could be wrong on that - a dozen or more years ago that I have to remember)

In looking at Google aerial, I see the 'little 9' seems to be in about the same shape as I played there, which indicated they might have been mowing FWs once every week to 10 days, and greens maybe once a week.  But, it was fun to bat it around that little 9, and clearly once could see the potential to bring it back to life and make a very cute and sporty track of it.  The stretch of 5-6-7-8 of little 9 were particularly good corridors and screamed to be upgraded, IMO.  

So, if Ran or Chris could add a bit more info about the last 30-40 years of the club's development, or lack of development regarding the nearly abandoned 'little 9', I think it would help readers to see how these things go in a clubs journey through good and bad times.  We did get into this a bit more on a thread some years ago, where Craig Disher shared quite a bit of his SP photos and knowledge.  

I know I would be a ELKs club member there in a heartbeat, and still fondly remember the fun that was had with that gang of locals.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »
If you like, you can go to Google maps and do a street view down Spring Rd and get a decent glimpse of some of the 'little 9' following #1 down the left and come to clearing for 7green and 8 tee.  It gives an idea of what is there and in disrepair.  Fpor a purist hickory club player, one could almost say that playing the 'little 9' now would be close to recapturing golf conditions and standards of yesteryear.  I can't imagine that it would take more than a million to shine it up to high quality modern playing standards.  Ran?   ;) ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Buie

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 10:31:48 AM »
RJ, Richard Mandell's book has a good account of the modern history. It's a very well done book.
That modern part of the story is pretty straight forward. The path it took after WWII is not remarkable. It is not dissimilar to your average American club of the era - except it had/has the enigmatic Ross course. For me that is not even remotely as interesting as the earlier era. I can see how some would want a comprehensive list of facts but that's not what I do. A highly uncommon collection of dynamics were unfolding in the early era and it's enjoyable for me to try to relate how that worked and to convey some sense of the times.

JR Potts

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
Nm

Andrew Buck

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:53:56 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to do this.  All of the information on the Pinehurst area courses you provide is great information and history.

Chris Buie

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 10:41:43 AM »
Thanks much Andrew.

Here's some comparisons of then and now you might find interesting.

The 6th hole

Looking back from the par-3 9th green (6th fairway on right)

The 14th hole (my camera angle is a bit different)

The 2nd green with the 3rd hole adjacent.

1st fairway on the left with the 18th on the right

BCowan

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
Chris,

I read this post the day before I played Southern Pines.  Played it on tues this week.  The course is really good, with so much potential.  The routing, the land, and the green complex's are great.  A lot of very good/great short par 4's.  I enjoyed #11 a lot.  Great write up. 

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
I was in Southern Pines a few weeks ago and we played Southern Pines. The next day we played Tot Hill Farm and I immediately came to realization how good SPCC really was. Actually, while walking up the 18th green I was amazed at how awesome a course SPCC really was. This is a course you can play over and over without any regrets and also look forward to your next round as well.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Chris Buie

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 03:25:43 PM »
Thanks Mr. Cowan. Glad you and Richard got the chance to play.
BCowan, this is what I'd to with 11. Some nice sandy dunes on the right side of the fairway would be good, as well. I'd also have a skyline green rather than trees in back. For those not familiar, 11 is about 315 yards.

Here are some other things I'd do.

15 is a longish par-5 that brings the fairway bunkers into play.

A design ultra guru told me SPGC could be the second best course in the area with a nice make over. He knows far more than I do - take that for whatever it's worth. All I can tell you is I never get tired of playing it.

Philip Hensley

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 04:36:14 PM »
Not a guru but I think it's in the Top 5 in the area.

When you guys say that SP is your "home course" are you saying that you're actually members there? Or that it's where you play a lot? I wasn't aware they sold memberships.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »
Chris, I like your vision of changes to the course. Very much in keeping with its character. If only money were available for such changes and a resurrection of the 3rd nine.
For golfers within a reasonable drive of Southern Pines, they are offering an unlimited playing card for Dec., Jan. and Feb for $350.00
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Chris Buie

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »
Yes, Ran and I are members there. They definitely have memberships available, just call the pro shop. It's an extremely reasonable deal. I'd rather have it economical and not at liberty to make major upgrades than be yet another expensive place.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
Mr Buie,

You could cut down 10,000 trees at SP and few would prob notice.  Your photos imaging was really cool too.  I had lunch with a local after the round at the Hickory Tavern and he thinks SP could be top in the area, so you aren't alone.  I like that it is low key, my only complaint is they don't have trollies for yanks to rent.  My father in law was looking to rent one, so unfortunately we ended up in a buggy. 

Carl Rogers

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:34 PM »
have played SP twice ... it is the course you could play every day.  for an older 6 handicapper, it is all the golf I could want to have.  as stated by others, if it was in a different neighborhood, it would have much higher ranking.  the walk is a good workout.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

David_Madison

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »
A "soft" version of what was done by Kyle Franz at Mid Pines would elevate the course to something truly elite. I believe the budget at Mid Pines was about $1 million, which seems like nothing for all that was done and the result achieved. But assuming that money was dropped from the sky but eventually had to be repaid, would it be worth it to add to the cost of every round until the money was repaid in 3-5 years or however long it took? Then you risk changing the character of the place. Maybe some small "demonstration" changes here and there would generate enthusiasm for a bigger, longer term restoration.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2014, 07:40:41 AM »
A "soft" version of what was done by Kyle Franz at Mid Pines would elevate the course to something truly elite. I believe the budget at Mid Pines was about $1 million, which seems like nothing for all that was done and the result achieved. But assuming that money was dropped from the sky but eventually had to be repaid, would it be worth it to add to the cost of every round until the money was repaid in 3-5 years or however long it took? Then you risk changing the character of the place. Maybe some small "demonstration" changes here and there would generate enthusiasm for a bigger, longer term restoration.
Interesting idea as a model for other courses.  A lot of courses could use a little bit of a make over (bunker re-work, tree removal), but it would have a big impact on the look and play ability.  I'd pay an extra $15 for it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:44:07 AM by Carl Rogers »
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Philip Hensley

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2014, 05:57:20 PM »
Yes, Ran and I are members there. They definitely have memberships available, just call the pro shop. It's an extremely reasonable deal. I'd rather have it economical and not at liberty to make major upgrades than be yet another expensive place.

I met David at TWGS event at MP/PN and met Jay at Dormie Club last weekend and am considering joining MP/PN as an out of town member. They have a great deal for golfers in my area. However, it would be great to play more at SPGC except it can be pricey to pay per round depending on the time of year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back