News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Any new courses being built in Calif.? 2013 or 2014?
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
I cant remember when there have been no new courses opening or being built for this long a time in Cali.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom_Doak

Re: Any new courses being built in Calif.? 2013 or 2014?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:19 PM »
Probably 1936-38?  The golf development Depression is very much alive and well, although we are starting to get calls about new work in the U.S. again, for the first time in a while.  We've done two courses here in the past four years, but they were definitely outliers.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »
David Kidd has a course in Oroville called Whisper Ridge.

http://www.orovillemr.com/rss/ci_22744687

Rees Jones will probably the start the rebuild of Alameda South at the end of this year.

RTJ Jr. blew up and started over on Poppy Hills which should reopen later this year or early part of next year.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:07:17 PM »
Also Kyle Phillips is currently doing a major rebuild of Menlo CC.  I believe Oliphant is the contractor.

Hopefully 2014 will start the rebuild of Sharp Park but that's pretty optimistic.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
A thin list for 2013 when this question was asked last December:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,54380.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:53 PM »
Does Baja California count?  ;)

Should have 3 new ones and pretty good ones in Cabo by this time next year.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
What ever happened to the links course someone was building on the old airfield in Alameda with great views of the City? Wasn't South Lake Tahoe getting a new public course? Any chance of Langtry opening to the public?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »
What ever happened to the links course someone was building on the old airfield in Alameda with great views of the City? Wasn't South Lake Tahoe getting a new public course? Any chance of Langtry opening to the public?

The Alameda course by Kyle Phillips is dead.  The entire development of the former naval air station is very slow but the future plans do not have a golf course involved.

Lake Tahoe Golf Course had drawn up plans by John Harbottle to reroute several holes due to flooding and environmental reasons.  The entire issue ended up in a nasty court fight and is either pending or dead. 

I'm told Langtry is opening up it's doors to some upscale hotels on a limited basis.  Green fees $400.  I'm still puzzled by this golf course and why Weiskopf made it so hard?

http://www.departures.com/articles/great-golf-courses-in-california-wine-country

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »
Tom Fazio is also doing some work at Monterey Peninsula CC Dunes at some point.  The plans have not been submitted yet so it's not known if it's going to be minor or major.

I heard about a new Coore & Crenshaw course in the Napa Valley.  

http://www.bramblesclub.com/

David_Tepper

Re: Any new courses being built in Calif.? 2013 or 2014? New
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
Joel S. -

The www.bramblesclub.com website is very interesting. However, if the club is near Middletown, CA, it is likely in Lake County, not the Napa Valley or Napa County. I hear that both Sonoma and Mayacama currently have members on their sell list and wonder what the appetite is for a club in an even more remote location.

Any idea who is behind the project or how far along it really is in terms of planning approval, financing, etc.? It sounds like this property is near the Langtry property, where there is already a golf course that sits idle for most of the day, most of the days of the year.

The Wieskopf Langtry course:

http://langtryfounders.com/golf

I wonder if any of the people who tried to develop the club near the Aetna Springs 9-hole course are involved with this project.    

DT
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 05:13:07 PM by David_Tepper »

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:51:33 PM »
Long-time Coore & Crenshaw associate James Duncan is the driving force behind Brambles. I don't know how far along he is with fundraising.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back