News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Ran's challenge
« Reply #225 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
I'd also argue for keeping it to 18-hole courses. If Arble insists on the Scared Nine, I'm going to insist on Shiskine. ;)

Jud_T

« Reply #226 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
ChipOat,

Of your suggestions, I believe only Rockaway Hunting Club is below 6500.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jud_T

« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
What about Teguega, Portland (Maine) Country Club, Roaring Gap, Dedham Country & Polo, Siwanoy, Carolina GC, Hyannisport Club, CC of Rochester, Muskegon CC, Sakonnet, Worcester CC, Allegheny CC, Misquimicut, Lookout Mountain & Blue Mound?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2013, 02:27:23 PM »
Columbia CC in Chevy Chase MD (my home club) clocks in at 6485 yards from the tips, par 70.  Home of the 1921 U.S. Open and the 2003 U.S. Junior Amateur (played from 6586 yards though).  And seemingly well-liked by GCAers....

Phil McDade

« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
What about Teguega, Portland (Maine) Country Club, Roaring Gap, Dedham Country & Polo, Siwanoy, Carolina GC, Hyannisport Club, CC of Rochester, Muskegon CC, Sakonnet, Worcester CC, Allegheny CC, Misquimicut, Lookout Mountain & Blue Mound?

Jud:

Blue Mounds tips out at 6,666 yds -- although I'm guessing it's right in the wheelhouse of what Ran and Steve Lapper were talking about in terms of courses with great strategic interest that don't need lengthening to still present a fun and challenging round. I'm not sure you could realistically add more than 200 yards to that course. It's pretty tight over there, and boxed in on all four sides. (It's really one of the cool things about the course -- walk a few steps off the green, and you're at the next tee. It has that cozy feel that's so unlike much of what's being built today.)

Jud_T

« Reply #230 on: July 18, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »
Kawartha added above...

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #231 on: July 18, 2013, 10:06:26 PM »
Steve Lapper,

It would be interesting to know what Glen Ridge, Forest Hills and Montclair play to.

At one time I don't think any of them were 6,500

Jud_T

« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:28 PM »
Pat,

Looks like Glen Ridge would certainly qualify, not certain about the others.

AJ_Foote

« Reply #233 on: August 07, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
Flying the Aussie flag, Barwon Heads is well worth a mention.

Arguably top 20 in the country - 6371 yards.

Andrew

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #234 on: August 08, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
Islington G and CC tips out at  6487.  It is a very nice Stanley Thompson

Jud_T

« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2015, 05:25:56 PM »
Bumped in honor of Ran's updated profile of Kilspindie...

Kirk Gill

« Reply #236 on: April 21, 2015, 04:32:25 PM »
Royal Epping Forest !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sean_A

« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2015, 04:11:14 AM »
I don't know if it was mentioned, but Formby Ladies is probably not far off a Doak 5 and a great pleasure to play even if it is a bit short at 5400 yards.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 04:39:32 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2015, 04:20:24 AM »
Royal Epping Forest !

Hi Kirk,

Just to clarify, Royal Epping Forest Golf Club is a golf club that does not own a golf course. They play their golf at Chingford, a municipal golf course adjacent to their clubhouse. The course is 6,281 yards long.

Scott

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2015, 05:02:18 AM »
Royal Epping Forest !

Hi Kirk,

Just to clarify, Royal Epping Forest Golf Club is a golf club that does not own a golf course. They play their golf at Chingford, a municipal golf course adjacent to their clubhouse. The course is 6,281 yards long.

Scott

Have either of you played it the course? I haven't but suffice to say many locals regard it as the 3rd best course associated with the name Epping. 

Nearby Chigwell at 6290 should be on the list.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2015, 07:17:39 AM »
Camden CC in Camden, SC is listed at 6,450 yards (Par 70) from the back tees on the card. I suspect for tournaments involving NCAA players and the like we probably stretch some holes to the back edges of tee boxes and may in fact clip the 6,500 limit by a couple of yards on occasion.

But it's definitely an under-6,500 yard course under normal circumstances. I will say Camden is generally viewed not so much as charming, quirky or cute and but more tough, exacting and depending on hole locations even borderline "unfair" by many who have played it. Short but not easy is a combination many golfers find frustrating in the extreme.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60140.0.html
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53363.0.html
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:20:23 AM by Brent Hutto »

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2015, 08:11:56 AM »

Have either of you played it the course? I haven't but suffice to say many locals regard it as the 3rd best course associated with the name Epping. 

Nearby Chigwell at 6290 should be on the list.

Hi Tony,

Yes, I have played Chingford, but not played much else in the area to compare it with.

Scott

Kirk Gill

« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2015, 12:55:01 PM »
Honestly, came across it by accident when I found The Battle of Epping Forest rolling around in my head. I googled it, and the golf club came up in the response. Here's their site:

http://www.refgc.co.uk/#/golf/4537563036

They didn't mention that it isn't their own course !
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Sean_A

« Reply #243 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:15 AM »
Mark

The more I go back to Addy the less I like it.  Though for this purpose, it works very well because its tough as old boots. 

Hang on - has nobody checked the card for Saunton West? ???  I think it is 6403 (from memory- tee hee).  In the interest of getting more links in there because flat bellies like a challenge

Rye
Brancaster
Swinley Forest
Sacred 9
Beau Desert
Kington
Berkshire Red
Machrie
Pulborough
White Bear Yacht
Pasatiempo (is this really less than 6500?)
Maidstone
Creek club
Eastward Ho!
Parapara...Beach
Elie
Addington
New Zealand
Worplesdon
Machrihanish
Brora
Machrie
Southerndown
St Georges
Edgbaston (tee hee)
Saunton West

Ciao

Nearly three years on

Rye
Brancaster
Swinley Forest
Sacred 9
Beau Desert
Kington
Berkshire Red
Machrie
Pulborough
White Bear Yacht
Pasatiempo
Maidstone
Creek Club
Eastward Ho!
Parapara...Beach
Elie
Addington
New Zealand
Worplesdon
Machrihanish
Brora
Machrie
Southerndown
St Georges
Saunton West
Roaring Gap
Golf de Spa
Askernish
Fraserburgh
Glen Falls

Ciao

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:03:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

jeffwarne

« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2016, 09:19:53 AM »
UNDER 6,500, so those are just too long. Yes - tips. As an Englishman I am thinking in terms of the men's medal plate, the one from which you play all significant club competitions during the season.

What a romantic notion.
Surely there's no club built in the last 30 years that plays all club competitions from the furthest back tees. "the tips".....
and sure no one thinks a course built 70-100 years ago had an architect that was a proponent of shorter courses or was smarter or more clever than current architects.
There were simply building for the equipment of the day.
Sure as a member you can competently play the "tips" on outdated courses, but don't kid yourself that you are experiencing what the architect "intended" (whatever that means)
So sad that we have allowed such gems to become less relevant today and have to experience most major events on inflated acreage architectural wastelands.
The good news is that the majority can still enjoy these intimate and interesting places for themselves, many by simply playing the back tees.
By regulating equipment properly, these members could still enjoy these courses, and such courses could still be used as competitive grounds for expert competition, as other sports do.

Palmetto, Myopia and Eastward Ho (edit-Arrowtown!) get my vote under the original premise, but having seen firsthand the way college players play Palmetto, I'd sure like to see [size=78%]the equipment altered, not the golf course.[/size]

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Brad Tufts

« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
Myopia...6539!  (buzzer noise)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2016, 05:16:47 AM »
Did anybody mention The Eden?

It is hiding in plain sight.

Sean Walsh

« Reply #247 on: March 29, 2016, 06:12:09 AM »
I obviously missed this 1st time around

Port Fairy Golf Club
5887m = about 6476yds

and Gib just pipped me to my other favourite

Jud_T

« Reply #248 on: September 12, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
Bumped in light of the announcement of the 3rd course at Sand Valley.  5 years on, the list is open for updating and further debate...(Machrie removed after lengthening)

Addington GC, Surrey UK
Arrowtown GC, New Zealand
Askernish, South Uist, Scotland
Beau Desert, Staffordshire UK
Berkshire Red, Berkshire UK
Broadstone, Dorset UK
Brora, Sutherland, Scotland
Camberly Heath, Surrey UK
Cavendish, Derbyshire UK
CC Troy, NY
Eastward Ho!, Chatham, MA
Elie, Fife, Scotland
Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Glens Falls, Queensbury, NY
Golf de Spa, Belgium
Himalayan GC, Pokhara, Nepal
Huntercombe, Oxfordshire UK
Kawartha Golf & CC, Ontario, CA
Kington, Herefordshire, UK
Knole Park, Kent UK
Leatherstockings, Cooperstown, NY
Liphook, Hampshire, UK
Machrihanish, Argyll, Scotland
Maidstone, East Hampton, NY
New Zealand GC, Surrey, UK
Old Elm, Highland Park, IL
Ootacamund Gymkhana Club, India
Paraparaumu Beach, New Zealand
Parkstone, Dorset, UK
Pasatiempo, Santa Cruz, CA
Prestbury, Cheshire, UK
Royal West Norfolk, UK
Rye, East Sussex, UK
Saunton West, North Devon UK
South Bend CC, IN
Southern Pines, NC
Southerndown, Bridgend, Wales
St. George's, East Setauket, NY
Stoneham, Hampshire, UK
Swinley Forest, Birkshire, UK
Tandridge, Surrey, UK
The Creek, Locust Valley, NY
Turfvaert, Rijsbergen, Netherlands
West Sussex, UK
White Bear Yacht Club, Dellwood, MN
Worplesdon, Surrey, UK
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:56:55 AM by Jud_T »

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #249 on: September 12, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »
Not sure if a couple of these would deserve to be in the top 50, but pending 50 better courses listed...

Highland Park (Birmingham): 5800Pinehurst no. 1: 6089Pinehurst no. 3: 5155Elkridge: 6445

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back