News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Heiman

New courses being built in WI?
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »
Guys,

I'm more of a reader than a poster here, but I heard a rumor that there might be some new courses being built in the sandy terrain about 1/2 hour from Wisconsin Dells.  That is all the info I have.  Is there any truth to this, and any more details?  It would be really exciting if it were true, living in the Twin Cities, MN this would be a great road trip.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:35:11 PM by Ryan Heiman »

Tom_Doak

Re: New courses being built in WI?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 05:21:01 PM »
Ryan:

It's not a done deal yet, but it is a distinct possibility.  That's all that anyone can say about it for probably a few months more.

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Guys,

I'm more of a reader than a poster here, but I heard a rumor that there might be some new courses being built in the sandy terrain about 1/2 hour from Wisconsin Dells.  That is all the info I have.  Is there any truth to this, and any more details?  It would be really exciting if it were true, living in the Twin Cities, MN this would be a bad road trip.

Ryan,

In what direction? Who's involved?
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
Sorry, 1/2 hour in what direction? There is sandy soil in that area?
H.P.S.

Ryan Heiman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 06:30:39 PM »
I don't know which direction.  But growing up in WI and traveling through that area often, it is sandy all around there for miles.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:44 PM »
Looking forward to hearing more about this project if it progresses.

Brad

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
It's a homerun with Lawsonia nearby.  Throw in Kohler and Erin Hills for the belt-notching crowd and you have a hell of a destination trip.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

David Schofield

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 10:19:16 PM »
From the information provided (admittedly quite vague) the site or sites may be located somewhere within the sand plains that were left over when the prehistoric Glacial Lake Wisconsin drained through the Wisconsin Dells to the southeast.  Knowing the relative reasonableness of WisDNR, my only concern would be if the site or sites contain wonderfulpreciousuntouchablewetlands.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
Any word on whether the courses are public, private, resort?  Also, what's the season there?  In Minneapolis, seems like I started one year in mid-to-late April. 

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 05:36:11 AM »
I'd guess the season is 4/15-10/31 ish.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jason Thurman

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
I'd guess the season is 4/15-10/31 ish.

That's about right. Most years you could go a little later into November but conditions tend to be pretty muddy and spotty into mid-May too. Of course, if the soil near the Dells is sandy enough, it might alleviate some of that.

Spring in Southern Wisconsin might be the crappiest season I've ever experienced. Fall in Southern Wisconsin is glorious though.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »
So someplace right in here:

I've spent a fair amount of time around the Dells, but candidly I don't remember it being sandy. Guess it is though.

There are quite a few lack-luster resort courses in the area, but Lawsonia is only 30 min or so NE. Would be great if couple new golf courses would be built nearby (hopefully by Mr. Doak) as it would make for a perfect road trip down from the Twin Cities!
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 10:56:06 AM »
Jackson County is one of my favorite outdoors recreation areas. The fishing is good, there is whitewater kayak area on the Black River and below the Black River Falls dam was a fantastic canoe camping trip.  The scenery is stunning for a flatlander like me. 

The soil is sandy by the river. The rest of the county I can't say.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2013, 04:46:57 PM »
I've always thought the central sand plains and gentle hills of central Wisconsin would make ideal golfing land; as Pat's graphic points out, there is a significant area of sandy soils bordered roughly y the Wisconsin Dells in the south and Wisconsin Rapids in the north. It bears some similarity to the sandy terrain of North Carolina and its well-known Pinehurst-area courses. (Oddly, this thread popped up just as I drove through this area less than two weeks ago.)

But it's also one of the least densely populated areas of Wisconsin, for good reason. The soils there are so poor for growing things that the small farm towns found all over the southern two-thirds of the state never sprouted up there. There's some timber there, but most of the good timber land is much farther north. There is no community of any size in the central sands region of the state, unless you count Black River Falls and its 3,500 residents.

In short, I can't see how any golf endeavor built there could succeed unless it's a fairly high-end resort or destination course -- and I wonder just how many more of these the state can support. Kohler has his four big courses, but those have the lure of hosting major tournaments, and are tied to the very nice American Club resort in Kohler proper. Erin Hills has the cache of being a US Open course, and the accommodations there are growing and very well-done -- you can spend a very pleasant weekend there with fine food and housing without leaving the site. Lawsonia is sui generis -- really, the best (by far) Classic-era public course in the state, and tied to a conference center with plenty of housing and the Green Lake area, which has long drawn an old-money crowd from around the state and even Chicago. The Lake Geneva resort courses have a similar draw.

Throw in a bunch of other fairly high-end courses built in the past two decades -- Nicklaus' Bull at Pinehurst Farms outside Sheboygan, the Hanse-Fry Wild Rock (tied closely to a resort in the Dells), Lehman's Troy Burne near the Wisc.-Minn. border -- and I really question whether the state can keep drawing folks from the Twin Cities and Chicago to play all this. (I say that because the Wisconsin economy still continues to putter along, and the willingness of state golfers to keep paying close to -- or more than (alot more than) -- $100 for a round of golf strikes me as near its breaking point.)

That's not to say you couldn't build a great course in the central Wisconsin sand hills/plains -- you almost certainly could. But who's going to play it?

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:09 PM »
I have heard for a few years now that one of the bigger golf course contractors has some land near Erin Hills and was contemplating a similar course.  Probably permanently on hold.

Great memories of going up to build Lake Arrowhead in Nekoosa as a young pup for Killian and Nugent.  I do recall a few holes had some very natural sand dunes that looked like Pine Valley, but Killian had one in particular taken down and shaped because it hid the base of the flag, but it ruined its character.  We did leave one near 6 tee, though.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matthew Rose

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 05:52:39 PM »
The Dells area proper could probably use another course.... the only one I know of there of any note is Trapper's Turn, which is good but not spectacular.

Otherwise, there's a lot of mediocrity around.

If something high calibre had existed in the Dells area 15-20 years ago, I would have driven up from Janesville to play it.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Phil McDade

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »
The Dells area proper could probably use another course.... the only one I know of there of any note is Trapper's Turn, which is good but not spectacular.

If something high calibre had existed in the Dells area 15-20 years ago, I would have driven up from Janesville to play it.

Matthew:

Have your played Wild Rock? I haven't, but it's in the Dells proper, tied to the Wilderness resort, and has generally gotten pretty good reviews. That's the new Hanse/Fry course. It opened a few years ago.

Also, a buddy of mine -- and a very good golfer -- came back from the old Coldwater Canyon course (now tied to the Chula Vista resort) after it had been renovated and absolutely raved about it.

And North's TT is now 27 holes of decent, solid golf -- I agree with your assessment of it.

JC Urbina

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 08:43:56 PM »
Jeff,

When you said mentioned yong pup, how young were you when you did Nekoosa? 

Would you be in charge of the golf course design or did Nugent always make the final calls?

Did you shape features or did you work only from grading plans?

Sorry for the questions, I am always curious how others grew up in the business?

Matthew Rose

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:52 PM »

Matthew:

Have your played Wild Rock? I haven't, but it's in the Dells proper, tied to the Wilderness resort, and has generally gotten pretty good reviews. That's the new Hanse/Fry course. It opened a few years ago.

Also, a buddy of mine -- and a very good golfer -- came back from the old Coldwater Canyon course (now tied to the Chula Vista resort) after it had been renovated and absolutely raved about it.

And North's TT is now 27 holes of decent, solid golf -- I agree with your assessment of it.

No, I haven't...  it's been 11 years since I lived in Wisconsin. Hanse and Fry? Not Hurdzan?

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Steven Blake

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 08:45:18 AM »
The area that is perfect for golf is the area from Lawsoina to Stevens Point back to Waupaca.  It is covered in sand, lots of openings, mature oak trees/pines, and fairly good movement in the land.  In fact some of land may have too much movement for golf but would be stunning to say the least. There are some wetlands but there is plenty of land out there with no wetlands that would be perfect for golf. I am honestly surprised no one like Tom Doak or C&C has built a golf course in this area.  Lets chip in some $$ and get this thing started  ;D

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »

Matthew:

No, I haven't...  it's been 11 years since I lived in Wisconsin. Hanse and Fry? Not Hurdzan?

You're right -- Hurdzan...

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
Jeff,

When you said mentioned yong pup, how young were you when you did Nekoosa? 

Would you be in charge of the golf course design or did Nugent always make the final calls?

Did you shape features or did you work only from grading plans?

Sorry for the questions, I am always curious how others grew up in the business?

Jim,

No problem.  Back in those days, Killian and Nugent always drew grading plans.  In some cases, they would bid to contractors and in others, send a field associate such as Bob Lohmann or myself up to build it using a bunch of sub contractors.  They would explain you could perhaps save the 10 and 10% profit and overhead of a Wadsworth, but with an agreement specifically telling the owner that we didn't guarantee it.

In spring of 1979 I went to Lynchburg, VA to build a nine holer like that, got back and got sent right up to Nekoosa in the fall and the summer of 1980 to build the front nine at Lake Arrowhead.  I was 25-25 and had been with KN since '77.  BTW, the back nine got delayed a few years, and was built after K and N split up. With fewer manpower, we recommended a contractor, and Landscapes Unlimited got the bid, one of my first experiences with them.  (Actually the first was a three hole remodel in Hammond, IN)

But, lucky me, I lived up there for most of that summer.  I was 25 and had been at KN since May '77. Being single and Bob getting ready to be a dad factored into the scheduling.

We brought in a Chicago shaper named Hank Shall, and an irrigation foreman who had worked in WI.  We used a Wisconsin earthmover from Plover (he had the most machines, and our theory was he would bring the right ones.  Some smaller firms had only track hoes, so what do you know, they thought all dirt was track hoe dirt, or trucks, so it was truck dirt.)  I recall the cut and fill as being 90K on plans, but the earth mover was pretty crafty at finding closer dirt.  For anyone who has played there, the fifth tee was originally scheduled to get dirt from the pond across the street, but he made a large cut where the path is and built the tee up with that, all news to this then 25 year old!  Most labor was from homeowners kids, which proved to be a challenge, working with teens and college kids.

So, I mostly set stakes and ran the crew, with some tractor work, but no shaping.  Also recall putting out a forest fire one day......great learning for me.  Would drive up every Monday leaving Chicago about 4AM, and drive back every Friday leaving at 4PM, but when seeding came, I stayed a few weekends to finish it out.

Two funny labor stories, though.  One kid, college age, jumped out of the irrigation trench and started to leave.  Asked where he was going, he said his dad told him if he hadn't gone to college, he would dig ditches all his life, and it just dawned on him that was just what was happening.

A high school kid was a real problem, no interest.  We started edging bunkers and he asked why I was doing what I was doing with the spray can.  At the end of the day he asked if he could try it and I let him.  He was pretty good at it and looked forward to it so I let him keep doing it.  One day a guy comes in asking for me.  It was his father and he said that the kid had always been lazy but the last week he couldn't wait to get to work, was excited and pleasant, and he wanted to know what my motivation skills and techniques were!  Still wonder about that kid to this day.

Good times, and I always thought it was a pretty nice course.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

PCCraig

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
But who's going to play it?

If Tom Doak, C&C, Hanse, etc built a couple courses in Central Wisconsin much like a Streamsong style resort I'd head down at least once a year. The fact that Lawsonia is also in the area makes it a slam dunk for me at least. As far as the Twin Cities market I'd say Erin Hills and Kohler are a little too far away for a one night stay. While the Dells are only a few hours and straight down 94. Plus it's close the Chicago and Milwaukee.
H.P.S.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »
Lake Arrowhead was where my older brother played in the 1989 Wisconsin state high school tournament. He didn't play that well, but I still remember the 50 foot putt he made on the par-3 (#7) for a deuce. Got up at 5 AM on the second day to drive up there from Janesville.

He was really looking forward to getting back there his senior year, but they moved it Fox Hills in Mischicot, which was a terrible mistake.

We all went to adopt a dog that night from the shelter, and the one we picked ended up living 18 years with us.

Howard Riefs

Re: New courses being built in WI? Yes!
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
Good news...

This morning on "Morning Drive," Matt Ginella confirmed the course in Wisconsin will be Mike Keiser's next U.S.-based destination. Matt subsequently tweeted (https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/with_replies):

"Coming soon in Rome, WI, 2 hours from Milwaukee/3 from Chicago, Keiser's next destination. Doak, Urbina, Coore & Kidd have all been to site."

"Plenty of room for 4 courses in Rome, but for now, Keiser's planning 1 course in 60-ft. dunes along rapids of Wisc. River & modest lodging.".

"On Rome, Wisc: Keiser believes at least 2 courses make a destination. I'd expect/guess 1 in 3 years (Doak); 2 in 5 years (Coore & Crenshaw)."

"It wasn't too long ago Kohler marched around SW Coast of Oregon & considered competing with Keiser. Two can play that game. Knock, knock..."

According to the town website, Rome is "located on the northern border of Adams County, one and one half hours northwest of Madison and only 45-minutes north of the Wisconsin Dells area." (http://www.romewi.com/)

Anyone here familiar with the site or area?  (Beyond Tom and Jim.)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 10:34:36 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back