News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Johnston

Re: Forest Dunes Project
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »
Tom

Can't wait to hear more, and see it!

If anyone has earned a "home game" these days, it's you.

Have you picked the primary design associate? 

I hope they were, or will be, wise enough to pick Mahaffey to do the irrigation.  You guys make a formidable team!

Congrats!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2013, 09:11:42 PM »
Don't worry, we will get our p.r. act together before the course is ready to open.  There's plenty of time for that; the best case is it's ready in the late summer of 2015, but that's assuming the permits don't take any time.  However, the p.r. challenge is going to be interesting on a number of levels, because they've bought into my view that we do NOT want too many details of the design leaking out until the course is ready, so that early visitors can explore it for the first time with fresh eyes.

Thanks for putting my worries to rest. Interesting approach that's refreshing in this day and age.

Already looking forward to the 2016 Midwest Mashie.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »
Tom, I love those holes farthest out on the back nine.  They have a lot of the low key feeling I love about the heathland courses south of London.  It would be cool to see a course with the inspiration of Sunningdale and Walton Heath. 

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2014, 04:59:08 PM »
Sad to read this today regarding the 2nd 18 at Forest Dunes:

"That project has officially been stalled, and Doak is understandably frustrated."

http://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/updates-kohler-sand-valley-bandonstreamsong-14472.htm

Jud_T

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
Yeah,

A bummer.  But the big news here potentially is the LIDO!!!!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Rees Milikin

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
Yeah,

A bummer.  But the big news here potentially is the LIDO!!!!

I hope this Lido news come to fruition!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Tom Doak says: The property is fairly flat, and sandy, but we intend to keep the bunkering subdued instead of relying on the bunkers for visual interest.  We won't move much dirt, but what we do move will be to make some really abrupt features -- deep gullies and mounds and ridges.  And the course is probably going to be on the short side, by choice, since the original course is plenty long and we don't feel the need to compete on "resistance to scoring".

Sounds like Huntercombe to me!  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2014, 08:55:14 PM »
Well this just ruined my day.  I'm guessing the revenue simply wasn't there for Forest Dunes to move forward and I think an additional 18 holes produced by Doak would of been something that would of brought the masses.  With that being said its to bad Doak was hung out to dry and hopefully someday he is able to create an additional course at Forest Dunes.
"Pure Michigan"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
I don't know where Matty G gets his information [it seems like he might have gotten this directly from Mike Keiser], but he really should call me before he characterizes my reaction, and to check his facts.

The Forest Dunes course has been put on hold for the time being.  The hold doesn't have anything to do with finances ... the client has had some other issues that have made him more cautious about moving forward.

We are certainly disappointed, since we were looking forward to a home game this summer, and it's unclear whether we'll have any new courses to build this fall, once our projects in New Zealand and France are complete.  But, I've been itching for a sabbatical for a while, and I guess you need to be careful what you wish for.  Maybe I will just go on a book tour.  :)

BShannon

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 03:56:15 PM »
Forest Dunes Facebook page posted pictures of Matt Ginella on the property this past Monday. A few of the shots picture Matt on what appears to be a cleared away patch of land.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152148263470592.1073741852.284468800591&type=1

Does this mean anything for the new course?

I spent a long weekend on the property with 15 friends at the beginning of the month. What a spectacular course and facility!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
A bunch of clearing was done for the course late last fall.  But, no news on when we might get started building anything.

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »
Good morning,

I saw this posted on the internet this morning along with the word that construction on the Doak Course is moving forward at Forest Dunes.  I know there has been quite a bit back and forth on the status of this project - does anyone have definitive word on where they stand?  I don't remember having previously seen a routing, but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything - I apologize for the poor quality of the image, but it is the best I could find...

Any updates would be appreciated, certainly exciting to see this project get moving again, if in fact that is the case...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:38:54 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
Is that a course that can be played in either direction? Sure looks like it ...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2014, 09:32:43 AM »
Chris:

I signed a contract on Friday to build the second course at Forest Dunes, and was there to announce it to their members at the annual member-guest tournament.

We are supposed to work on a press release this week to try and describe the project.  We hope to start a bit of shaping in September or October, after the first few holes are cleaned up from clearing, and after our other work is finished at St. George's in Toronto and in New Zealand.

It's funny, in discussing things with the ownership on Friday, we all agreed that we should keep the plan of the course out of the public eye for a while ... so  I would ask you to please delete that map for now.

Matthew:

Yes, it's a course that can be played in either direction.  But it probably won't look too much like the map, so I don't want people trying to analyze it and tell me that such-and-such hole won't work.  It's a complicated concept and it will require a lot of field work to make it work equally well from both directions.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:16:34 AM by Tom_Doak »

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2014, 09:40:09 AM »
Chris:

I signed a contract on Friday to build the second course at Forest Dunes, and was there to announce it to their members at the annual member-guest tournament.

We are supposed to work on a press release this week to try and describe the project.  We hope to start a bit of shaping in September or October, after the first few holes are cleaned up from clearing, and after our other work is finished at St. George's in Toronto and in New Zealand.

It's funny, in discussing things with the ownership on Friday, we all agreed that we should keep the plan of the course out of the public eye for a while ... I guess that wasn't communicated properly to whoever is running their Facebook page.  :)  I would ask you to please delete that map while I get them to take it down.

Matthew:

Yes, it's a course that can be played in either direction.  But it probably won't look too much like the map, so I don't want people trying to analyze it and tell me that such-and-such hole won't work.  It's a complicated concept and it will require a lot of field work to make it work equally well from both directions.

Thanks for the update Tom and congratulations on the fact that the project is moving forward.  And sorry about posting the routing (it has been deleted), I assumed it was for public consumption...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 09:42:27 AM by Chris_Hufnagel »

John Kirk

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2014, 09:42:42 AM »
Congratulations on the new project, Tom.  A chance to build a course close to home, after three consecutive international projects.  That must feel good.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Congratulations!   I really enjoyed Tom Weiskopf's course a few years ago.  The second course, this time by Tom Doak, should turn Forest Dunes into a primary destination rather than a "I hope I can squeeze it in."   I've heard the on site lodging is very nice.  

Jud_T

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
This is great news.  Northern Michigan might just be the best place for a northern hemisphere golfer to summer this side of Fife.  Gotta love the concept too.  2 courses for the price of 1.  Might be the way forward for the game, not to mention the best thing to happen to armchair architects since the advent of the personal computer...

P.S.  gotta love that commute too Tom... :-*
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »
Congrats to Forest Dunes and Tom Doak ;D
"Pure Michigan"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2014, 11:15:19 PM »
Great news, Tom! This will make FD a top destination. Looking forward to following your progress. All the best!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2014, 08:56:57 AM »
Marvelous news, yet another reason to go up to the peninsula more often.
Those fortunate enough to be mebers at Kingsley have to be excited about another wondeful venue to play nearby .

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2014, 09:59:37 AM »
Great news! It will be exciting to monitor progress throughout '14, '15 and '16.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

SL_Solow

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
wonderful news.  Well deserved

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
This is great. I need to get up to FD this year so I can say I played it before the new course was added. ha.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Forest Dunes was definitely one of the best courses I have ever played, but because it is in the middle of no where, I don't know that I would design any Michigan trip around it. Now I could see doing a 2 round 1 night overnight there on the way to another destination or even on the way back. Congrats Tom, exciting news for sure!
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back