News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Odds on Rio golf, 2016?
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:58:42 PM »
After considering the ongoing nation-wide Brazilian protests, much of which seems centered around local resistence to the expenditures detracting from local civic and social needs, and work that is plowing through neighborhoods with Olympic constructions and infrastructure;  is it looking like the Hanse golf course will go forward - and if so, will it be finished to the extent of holding an Olympic world championship? 

While the linked story is prior to the ground breaking where it was reported much of the permitting and local go-aheads were secured;  in the current atmosphere, might these concerns stated in the article get brought back to the fore, and delay what seems like a very narrow and closing window to ready a new course into the sort of shape a world tournament could be played?

http://riotimesonline.com/brazil-news/rio-sports/2016olympics/2016-olympic-golf-course-controversy-in-rio/#

It might be a stroke of great luck that Gil has a new patron in Trump in other parts of the globe, if this doesn't pan out, at least there will be work for him elsewhere.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Randy Thompson

Re: Odds on Rio golf, 2016?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:29:28 AM »
Hey RJ, whats shakin and baking! I guess I can throw in my two cents. I think it will get done and this current events, we could call the second news worthy hurdle and I would imagine there are already much more hurdles that we don´t even hear about that Gill is having to over come and there will be lots more that will créate doubt even in his mind but I think it will work out eventually. This is really not unusal for South America, you learn to go with the flow and accept it and worry about the things you can control and the things you can´t, let them pass! If you don´t, you will go nuts or committ suicide, so I imagine he is transitioning or evolving! If he has moved himself and his family there, I would imagine there will be difficult times and times of regret but they will also pass, he will need to stay focused on the positives.
 I just got out of there last Monday before they blocked the roads in protest to the airport and created all the Caos with the International flights coming out of Sao Paulo. I was there because there was a marketing event at one of my projects, an inaugeration of a lighted drivig range, in a nine hole golf course development that I started twelve years ago. The nine is not ready but it is planted, minus two greens and there is a good chance that they will be ready by December making it just under the wire for 13 years. This is my second nine hole course in Brazil and the first one also took twelve years. On the upside, I have done two eighteen hole courses there and were done closer to the norm of two years. Spoke with an Irrigation distributor from there and he said the Project was progressing pretty good and media people from the golf sector were also postive but these things can change day to day but all I heard was positive things but I was talking to Brazilians! Its just a different world! For example, there were over 300 people in attendance all from who is who in the golf world of Brazil and potential clients for lot sales. This was Saturday of the US Open and was quite pleased when I arrived to see a huge cinema screen set up, thought yeah buddy, gonna catch the Open after all, what a nice touch! Wrong...opening of the Federation Cup, Brazil vs Japan! Conclusions: 97.23% it will get done and be ready and be a hit! 50-50 it will get done on time to properly test!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
Randy, what I find interesting about the mood down there, if news reports here are accurate, is that the various groups protesting various issues seem to be a stew of discontent and not one specific thing.  Then, with alleged offers by the government or powers that be to negotiate or work-out the problems reportedly have been met with no interest to actually sit down and work things out by disparate factions.  If true, that doesn't sound too good for timely progress on all their construction plans surrounding the Oly's. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »
All true but Sunday are the finals of the federation cup, Brazil vs Spain, the goverment will intervine to make sure Brazil wins or brazil will just win and things will go back to normal and everybodies mind will be occupied with the upcoming World cup less tan a year away!!

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Spoke this week to a senior Toro guy who said they don't yet have a paid for confirmed order yet so won't be shipping any irrigation product until they do. Interesting.

Larry_Rodgers

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:59:06 AM »
Neal, you may want to ask your contact that same question again and let us know.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:49 PM »
Ian Andrew wrote a piece for Score Golf (canada) titled UnRiolistic, published in the June 2014 issue. I cannot find it online, but I'll keep trying. Pretty telling piece.

EDIT: Thanks, David, for the link below.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 08:44:19 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

DMoriarty

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:38:00 PM »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »
Ian Andrew wrote a piece for Score Golf (canada) titled UnRiolistic, published in the June 2014 issue.

Right after that piece was written they hired the Golf Contractor and the Irrigation crew picked up the pace with some changes.

I talked to Gil very recently.

Greens are done and seeded.
Golf course will be finished at the end of November.
Golf will be ready.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:51:31 AM by Ian Andrew »
-

Ian Andrew

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:47:24 AM »
Gil, Neil Cameron, Kyle Franz and Ben Hillard deserve a lot of credit for gutting through this one

4th green from back - courtesy Ben Hillard

9th green complex
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:50:32 AM by Ian Andrew »
-

Randy Thompson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
Great article Ian, in ten days you got it pretty clear what it is like constructing in Brazil. Its going to be a great course but what should have been a fun Project I am sure turned into many sleepless nights for those involved who work with passion. They ended up getting a good finishing contractor..From what i saw of one of their other works were excellent. But they were left alone in the other works, so hopefully, the owners won´t interfere in that step to much. Anymore pictures would be great. Take care!

Lou_Duran

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
Randy,

I heard a couple weeks ago that construction had been halted on at least part of the course by one of the environmental authorities.  Something to do with a permit not being done right and further study was needed.  Can paspalum be sprigged and grown-in in less than two years to provide putting surfaces for this level of play?  Typically, new greens are very firm and often bumpy.  What might the Olympians experience?  I hope we pick for our team some aggressive putters.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »
I hope we pick for our team some aggressive putters.

My understanding is that we don't pick our team.  It's whoever are the top 4 U.S. players in the world rankings at the cutoff date.

Bryan Icenhower

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
Randy,

I heard a couple weeks ago that construction had been halted on at least part of the course by one of the environmental authorities.  Something to do with a permit not being done right and further study was needed.  Can paspalum be sprigged and grown-in in less than two years to provide putting surfaces for this level of play?  Typically, new greens are very firm and often bumpy.  What might the Olympians experience?  I hope we pick for our team some aggressive putters.
Shackelford makes a comment about the environmental angle in the latest state of the game and how absurd it was in his mind having been on site. Here is a link to an ESPN article.
http://m.espn.go.com/extra/olympics/story?storyId=11463567

Mike_Young

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »

My understanding is that we don't pick our team.  It's whoever are the top 4 U.S. players in the world rankings at the cutoff date.

Tom,
I think the process will be interesting.  It could very well be that the top 4 have no interest in going.   :)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Randy Thompson

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 12:58:11 AM »

Tom,
I think the process will be interesting.  It could very well be that the top 4 have no interest in going.   :)
Mike,
There might not be interest but at that level, like most things today the dollar rules. Remember when your one of the top four in the USA you earn more in endorsements then you do actually in prize money playing golf. So, most likely they will suck it up and play to protect their market perception!

Lou,
My paspalm experience is limited but you have almost ideal year round weather conditions that favor máximum growth, so producing thatch to take them from hard to firm should not be a problem. Aggressive light topdressing can smooth out any fast growing surface and there is always the old stand by of rolling in six directions and then triple cutting. Producing quality greens USE TO BE an ART where a select few stood out but not anymore.

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:10 AM »
It might be less than 4 US players if there aren't 4 in the top 15 in the world.

It will be interesting seeing if the Olympic Games will factor in to the players scheduling as the games get closer. Right now Rickie Fowler is on the cusp being the 4th ranked US player.  I have no doubt the pull of the Olympics will be on the minds of the lower ranked players. 

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/ogr-men/

@Pure_Golf

Mike_Young

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »
We are close approaching where the Olympics will be like the Worlds Fair.  No city is making money and the corruption is high. 
There will be a player or two in the near future who chooses not to accept a Ryder Cup selection.  The Ryder Cup is presented to us , the public, as if it were all about Country pride etc but in reality that is the sought after perception when in reality it is all about the PGA.  It is true the endorsements will play roles in much of this but IMHO it will not necessarily be where they force them to play.  You think Callaway was thrilled with Phil sitting on Saturday at the Ryder Cup?  I'm  fairly certain there is not a top American pro out there  excited about playing Olympic golf. 

Lou_Duran

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 10:40:14 AM »
Weiskopf skipped the RC to go hunting in 1977.  I don't necessarily look badly on players opting to allow others "the honor".  Perhaps we would seat better teams if we selected only the best players who truly wanted to compete.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
I'm of the same mind, Lou. Was it counterproductive of Webb Simpson to lobby so vigorously, even when he was off form? Might he have taken the high road and not done so?

Also, how many of these guys receive sponsor cash bonuses for making the team? Changes everything.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
I'm of the same mind, Lou. Was it counterproductive of Webb Simpson to lobby so vigorously, even when he was off form? Might he have taken the high road and not done so?

Also, how many of these guys receive sponsor cash bonuses for making the team? Changes everything.

I doubt there will be sponsor bonuses for playing in the Olympics...

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 06:00:28 AM »
Really Mike? 

PS, what's the purse (if anything) for the Olympics?
@Pure_Golf

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 07:03:49 AM »
Mike,

why do you think golf will be any different to tennis? Just about all competitors at the Olympics are money driven.

Jon

Josh Stevens

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
I know brazil well. Worked there for years. It will be allright on the night even if they ar still painting a few hours befor hand. It just sort of works

Mike_Young

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 10:00:35 AM »
Mike,

why do you think golf will be any different to tennis? Just about all competitors at the Olympics are money driven.

Jon

Jon,
IMHO golf should not be in the Olympics anyway but  the guys will not be able to profit from it as their AGENTS would wish and with PGA Championship close by etc it will not be a big deal for the American pros....plus if it is country driven there will be some participants who could not win a club championship here in the States.  Watch some of the world am events and who shows up....I have worked Latin America for a while and a long time ago worked some in Brazil and so far I haven't seen a country there that could put 4 world class players together....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back