News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Burnes

The real Philadelphia Story
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »

Terry Lavin

Re: The real Philadelphia Story
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »
Thanks for posting.  I can't imagine a better portrayal of civic pride surrounding the game of golf.  Here's his ending:

No one better understands the breadth of golf in the City of Brotherly Love than my friend Jim Finegan, a retired Philadelphia advertising man who wrote a seven-pound book about the history of golf in our city and its suburbs that admirably scratches the surface of this important subject. Jim is a former club champion at Philadelphia Country Club, where Sam Snead didn’t win the 1939 U.S. Open. (Byron Nelson did.) Jim has recorded many, many scrambling pars on the 45 holes at the Philadelphia Cricket Club, site of two early U.S. Opens. He has been the winner of the Father-Son members’ event at Pine Valley, where the 1986 Walker Cup was played. Jim knows every water hazard on Cobb’s Creek, a public course within the city limits designed by Wilson, where the U.S. Amateur Public Links was played in 1928. As for his knowledge of another Wilson course, the East at Merion, it’s staggering. In 2000, on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Ben Hogan’s aching victory, Jim spoke to the Merion membership, from deep within his unbridled passion, about some of the many USGA championships that have been played in Philadelphia and its suburbs.

His point: No city has a stronger link to the USGA than Philadelphia. Trust me, on this subject, you do not want to argue with Jim Finegan.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:32:52 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
Terry,

It must have been about 15 years ago  I struggled to find a copy of Jim Finegan's book on golf in Philadelphia.

Finally, I tracked down copy and am happy I did.

Obviously, compared to his books on golf in the UK & Ireland, the Philly book is a bit dry, but, man does Jim know his stuff!
Tim Weiman

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 04:24:46 PM »
Take it from a native New Yorker who has lived in the Philly area since 1995... All things considered, it doesn't get any better than Philly.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »
Amen, Geoffery.  I'm a native of Buffalo, and lived in Portland, OR before I moved to Philly.  I really do love it here, and our collective love of all aspects of golf - its history, its playing grounds, its players, and its beauty.

I just got back from a run out to Merion to pick up some stuff at the US Open merchandise tent.  Between my house and Merion, I passed The Mink, Applecross, Merion West, Gulph Mills, St. Davids, etc.   It really is a helluva place.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
If you liked that article, then you should definitely read this one by my colleague Joe Logan:

http://www.linksmagazine.com/golf_travel/the-city-of-golferly-love
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:55:38 PM »
This paragraph summarizes both the Philly pride and other regions' frustration:  

"This is the fifth U.S. Open (1934, ’50, ’71, ’81) at Merion East and the 18th USGA championship in its 100-year history. It has hosted six U.S. Amateurs, four U.S. Women’s Amateurs, a Girls’ Junior, a Curtis Cup, and a Walker Cup: The club has hosted more USGA championships than any other and, by itself, more USGA championships than 29 states."

Some would argue favoritism/overkill. Not my argument, but just sayin'.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 10:55:12 PM »
Terry,

A valid comment but the other side of that coin is that Merion is willing to host ALL of those championships.  I don't see too many Top 25 courses lining up for the girl's junior or the senior amateur.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Think those numerous past selections have something to do with the quality of the course! The sun is out, a slight breeze is blowing and the boyz are hard at it fine-tuning! With some luck on the potential showers, we should be in great shape. You should see the pride of the lads...  I got some nice smirks when I asked some of the crew how they felt she would hold up this week. Game on!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

William_G

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »
hahaha Kris

location location location, I definitely see Terry's point

game on this week, good luck    8)
It's all about the golf!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:02 AM »
A very nice article. A little funny that Bamberger gives Macdonald a gentle ribbing but doesn't recognize the caddie's quote about greens is very close to what Macdonald wrote.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ray Cross

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
Both Bamberger and Logan's articles were great....and timely. I read Mike's on the USGA Open app a few days ago but didn't know how to forward from that app......(so not ready for the 21st).
REC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back