News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark McKeever

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more (17th hole up)
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:01 AM »
This 17th green reminds me a good bit of 5 and 15 greens at Schuylkill.  Anyone agree??

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Joe Bausch

« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
Are the Maxwell greens at Melrose worth me sneaking on with my putter?

Sneak on?!  Just go play it!  Melrose now takes public play.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Amarnek

« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »
Joe,
I also think this is a great par 3 and has had quite an impact on match play matches.  I happen to like #4 better, but believe it or not, I tend to get a par on #17 more often than #4!
The tree clearing to the right on #18 sure gives a beautiful view up to the clubhouse and the drinks to come!

John Shimony

« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2013, 11:50:12 AM »
Oh, yeah!  Melrose is semi-private now.  Can I sneak on to avoid a 5 1/2 hr round on the weekend?
John Shimony
Philadelphia, PA

Joe Bausch

« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »
From The Lurker:

All the features mentioned in the first paragraph of the DE report were restored in the Hanse restoration over a decade ago. The 17th green is the biggest on the golf course. The last thing I would like to see done with this hole is to have the trees on the hill behind the green removed as much as possible so the clubhouse could be seen from the 17th tee and from the clubhouse the 17th and 16th green could be seen. A part of that hillside is staked as OB but it doesn't need to be because the club owns all the way to the RR tracks.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2013, 12:56:43 PM »
18.  Uphill par 5 (464 yards).

This is another example of a 1/2 par hole, in abundance at GMGC.

From the DE:

Although numerous and sometimes dramatic alterations have been recommended for the 18th hole, only moderate changes have been approved. Trees now screen the length of the hole from the P&W rail line on the right side.

Grassing sections of the rear bunker behind the green was a recommendation of Donald Ross in 1927 but not approved. On Ross' suggestion the rear of the green was regraded to create two cupping space hollows, separated by a center ridge. Wayne Stiles' recommendation to grass over the entire rear greenside bunkers was approved but never done. Half of the right rear bunker and a third of the left bunker were eventually grassed over. Stiles' recommendation to construct a right front greenside bunker was approved in 1941 and a compensating left front greenside bunker appeared as well.

It may be worth considering if Ross' original green design with its classic "false front" contemplated a moderate to severe "run-back" situation for approach shots to the front or short of the green, like the 9th hole at Augusta National C.C. and the 10th hole at
Shinnecock Hills C.C.

It also seems likely, from the early aerial photographs, that the fairway was cut around the sides of the green; this would be consistent with a favored Ross feature of the short recovery shot ("run-offs") seen extensively at Pinehurst No.2.

Although the official yardage of the 18th is 421, it is well below the minimum for a par 5 (475). The hole plays much longer due to the uphill drive and uphill second and third shots. The theme of this hole is the premium placed on a long tee shot. A drive up and over the hill is a distinct advantage.

The finisher was described by Tom Doak as "GMGC's most amusing hole" and "the shortest par 5 of my acquaintance". This hole probably plays fifty yards longer than it is as the green is 75 feet above the tee. The 18th is not the hole for a short hitter to come into even, or one down, against a long hitter, or behind in stroke play Players are generally advised to play the shot or hole at hand, but in a tight match the 18th has a way of strategically coming to mind before coming into view.

As stated above, enhancing the "run-off" or "run-back" potential on the "false front" and short of it would have the effect of increasing the demand on the long hitter to get the ball over the "false front" in two and somewhat negate his strategic advantage. Although this might leave an occasional bad taste, the theme of GMGC is that the approach shots play longer than their yardage and the satisfying message would be if the player hasn't figured out the theme by now, here it is in spades!

Uphill tee shot view:

Pea-shooters will have this view for their second, where they must decide to go for it or carefully lay up:

I enjoyed this look back to the tee and the 17th and 10th greens in view, and much of the 11th hole:

Bigger hitters will have a view more like this, leaving a mid-iron at most for their 2nd shot:

From short of the green looking down the pretty steep slope:

From long and left of the green, with a particularly fun pin position (big kudos to the person that set the pins this day as they were fantastic!):

« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 10:30:16 AM by Joe Bausch »

David Amarnek

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more (all holes up)
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
Joe,
Thanks again for your wonderful photo tour of GMGC!
Everyone who was there that day (and from previous trips) just loved your photos.  Splendid effort as well to include Tom's evolution report with each hole.
Best,
David

Mark McKeever

« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
Great tour and thanks for all the insight everyone!

Mark

Chris Roselle

« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2013, 02:58:01 PM »
Great tour Joe, Gulph Mills always ranks third in my book behind Pine Valley and Merion in GAP.  The only time I ever made match play of the GAP Amateur it was played at Gulph Mills.  I managed to eagle 18 in my opening round match, with a putt from the back right portion of the 18th green to a front left hole location, for a 2 up victory.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2013, 03:11:54 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for the excellent tour of Gulph Mills. It is a real treat to see golf in the Northeast. Hard to beat Philadelphia!
Tim Weiman

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
Joe,
    Thank you for your well composed tour. I trust all viewers who have not played GMGC have a sense of what a fine property the membership has.
    A couple of closing points; Mark I don't think 17 mimics the 5th or 15th at Skuylkiil, but having only played that fine course once, my ability to compare is probably not great. 17 at GMGC seems more reversed sloped to me.
    GMGC doesn't have the finest club house I've ever seen though I think it quite nice. However, its small mens locker room, with no individual lockers and bench seating, and the men's grill are something to behold. Lit by windows set cathedrally and panneled in heavily varnished wood the intimacy of the two rooms is just fantastic. Understated elegance and efficiency combined.  The new front veranda area allows one to look out over a substantial amount of the course and is a fantastic addition to GMGC.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2013, 06:56:56 PM »
From The Lurker:

Charlie:

If GMGC had moved to Ardrossan one of the items that would probably have been duplicated over there was the locker-room. The Club is very proud of their hooks. That outlook in the back was another item done in the Hanse restoration. That lawn that melds into the 18th green actually had its grade lifted about four feet. The idea came from that same infamous, controversial guy who saw something like it at Misquamicut G.C. in R.I. and recommended GMGC do it.

mike_malone

« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2013, 07:44:13 PM »
I finally get to say that I like 18
AKA Mayday

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2013, 08:09:03 AM »
Joe,
    Interesting that you mention the elevation change near the veranda area, my eye told me it was there as I have stood on the old practice green, practice tee, first tee, and 10th and looked back at the club house dozens of times, but its nice to have confirmation.
   Special place, nice job taking the time to educate us all; and thanks to "The Lurker". I wonder if our paths have crossed and I didn't know who he was? GMGC is one of the least crowded clubs I have ever visited. It is often only occupied by 4-6 foursomes spread out over the course, sometimes less. The chance to encounter other members is limited.
   One final point, the men's grill features extraordinary "Pine Valleys" a refreshing potent potable after a warm summer round. One of the best post round beverages I have ever consumed.

David Amarnek

« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
Charlie,
Your taste for alcoholic beverages is impressive.  Dave makes the best Pine Valley's without doubt.  Merion, not even close and I don't think they even make Pine Valley's at Pine Valley!
We had some friends over from St. Louis and London (and Philly) and tried the drinks at GMGC and Merion and it was unanimous!
Yuengling's are pretty fabulous as well after a round for this transplanted resident of Budweiserville (blech!!!). 
Pretty special sitting above the 18th green after a round with special friends and looking out over the course!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »
Thanks, Joe!

By the way, if you're not from Philly, you don't realize what an oasis of tranquility Gulph Mills is.  The huge King of Prussia mall is nearby, as is I-76, the SEPTA light rail line, and PA-320.

It's also a very historic area - played a significant role in the Revolutionary War.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I really enjoyed putting together this tour.

P.S.  I've been updating the previous holes in this thread with more from the Design Evolution book.

------------------
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 02:54:25 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2013, 07:39:43 PM »
It's also a very historic area - played a significant role in the Revolutionary War.

From The Lurker:

Dan:

That's an item that has floated around for a while. A couple of pretty prominent local Revolutionary War historians believe the road that crosses the 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th was the road Washington marched his army along when he moved them from Whitemarsh to Valley Forge in 1777. That Paul fellow, the GMGC historian, thinks there's between a 15.1%---98.3% possibility that Washington also nailed the lady of the farm on his way (the original farmhouse was the old maintenance office building to the left of the 3rd that just got torn down with the construction of the new Maintenance Facility).

As the creator of this thread, I must say this last post is more than I can easily handle.  :-)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:44:08 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »
"As the creator of this thread, I must say this last post is more than I can easily handle. :-)"

From The Lurker:

In that case, Mr. Bausch, I can only say you may have something less than full appreciation for what might be called "Historical Sublime."

Mark McKeever

« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2013, 10:29:20 AM »
Thanks to a lurker for and showing me around Gulph Mills yesterday. It's a golf course that tends to surpass expectations and this tour does a great job of showing why.  One thing that is difficult to represent in the photos though is just how much movement is in the land.  The course is built on some very rolling propety that gets lost in some of the pictures.  There aren't many flat lies on the golf course and it adds an element of doubt when playing the majority of approach shots.

Gulph Mills is an excellent mix of varied architecture, and one of the more unique courses in the area in that regard.  I don’t think I can name another Philadelphia area golf course that has had so many architects come in and make changes through the years, yet it continued to evolve and stay one of the best golf courses in the GAP. 

Mark 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »
Amen, Mark.  It's a real joy to see and to play.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Those that were following this thread may want to read it again from page 1.  I've updated all the holes with more from the Design Evolution book.  Amazing what these big scanners at my library with great OCR software can do!

David Amarnek

« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2013, 12:49:14 PM »
Mark,
I was wondering if you played when you went around with "The Lurker", or just walked the course.
You couldn't have a better guide, that's for sure!

Joe,
Thanks for the updated info, I look forward to re-visiting your wonderful tour!

David

Mark McKeever

« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »
David,

It worked out really well actually.  I was able to play the golf course, and TEP met up with our group on the 17th green and watched us play up 18.  We then sat on the terrace and had a couple glasses of cabernet while discussing the golf course and it's evolution.  We then took a loop on a golf cart and went around the course again and he showed me some things that I missed.

It was a great sequence of playing/observing/learning.  I had an incredible afternoon and evening. :)

Mark

PS.  I love the unique locker room.  Its a very social orientation.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:09:19 PM by Mark McKeever »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2013, 01:19:48 PM »
From The Lurker:

"PS. I love the unique locker room."

Yes, and we love our unique locker room. We are extremely proud of our hooks.

"Its a very social orientation."

A very social orientation??

Now, that's a most interesting observation, and one I have not heard before. Notwithstanding that lack of audiogenic indication, I believe I can understand what you mean. What golf club locker room has no lockers, and only hooks and a long running U shaped bench and shelf built into the wall covering 3/4 of the room? The bench is so deep it actually has hidden space beneath it with lids and oval brass finger ring openers where one can store their "semi-valuables" and "un-imaginables." I suppose I have never seen a golf club locker room where everyone in it can sit and have conversations and drinks together in various stages of dress and undress no matter where they are in the room.

But does social orientation also mean one must get used to being "Neh-Kid" in front of everyone else in the looker room? I suppose so. For the more modest of us there is definitely nowhere to hide in that unique little locker room. With that potential shock to one's manners and modesty, I once suggested the club supply extra-ultra large towels that look something like the general garb of our Muslim brothers in the Near East. However, the Board deemed that idea a potentially excessive cost item as it was not something Brooks Brothers stocked, and would not produce, other than on some hundred year, quantity based bespoke order basis.

Also, after 35 years I have never seen the inside of the Ladies locker room other than a quick peak when the door swings open as a lady enters or exits. From that quick glimpse though, it does look inordinately posh and somewhat sensual for GMGC.

But let me abolish that thought immediately----or perhaps I should recommend to the Board of Directors that the Men's showers in our unique little locker room offer only ice cold water, as there may be a few more warm blooded people around these days than there used to be when it was built in 1925.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back