News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Although Gulph Mills Golf Club has been mentioned frequently on this site (home club of former GCAer Tom Paul), I've never seen a thread completely dedicated to the club, nor has there ever been a photo tour.

With the US Open coming to my area soon, many golfers will likely get out to play Gulph Mills so I think this tour will be rather timely.  For much of my analysis I am relying upon the excellent "Design Evolution" book penned by Tom Paul and Charles Lighthall (published in 1999).

GMGC was organized in June of 1916 and Donald Ross was contracted to build the course.  It opened officially on May 16, 1919.

On the first page of the Design Evolution book, Tom Paul writes the following:

Under the classics axiom, that "an original and unadulterated course is of greater value than a course that has undergone changes", GMGC cannot be considered a Donald Ross purebred.  According to The Architects of Golf, (Cornish & Whitten), architectural attribution under the GMGC listing is more numerous than almost any course that can be found.  From the 1920s to the present, seven architects have made changes or recommended changes that were adopted.  These numerous design changes by no means indicate the course was poor to start with or that is has been adulterated.  When the various Green Committees and Boards felt the need to make alterations, their inclination was to contract architects who were at the top of their profession and whose work and inventories have definitely stood the test of time.

Here is a summary of the design evolution until 1999, lifted or paraphrased from the Paul and Lighthall book:

1916 - Ross designed and constructed.

1925 - Toomey and Flynn rebuilt regrassed 17 of the original 18 Ross greens.

1927 - Ross recommended changes on eleven holes in a hole by hole report.  Most recommendations were minor tee and bunker alterations.  Recommended regrading of greens #2, #8, #16 and #18.  Greens #2 and #18 were approved.  #8 no longer exists, and #16, although apparently approved, does not appear to resemble Ross' specifications.

1934 - Maxwell reconstructed the 8th hole and relocated the 8th and 10th greens.

1937 - Maxwell reconstructed 11th & 14th holes, relocated 11 & 14th greens and tees (pars were swapped).

1938 - Maxwell reconstructed the 7th hole.  Par was likely reduced from par 4 to par 5, relocated and reconstructed green, rerouted fairway, added rear tee boxes and recommended the hole by played from the shorter tees (425-465).

1940 - Stiles made numerous but mostly minor changes throughout the course, particularly with bunkering and tees to holes #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8, #9, #10, #11, #15, #16 and #18.

1947 - McGovern reconstructed hole #7 (fw and green), and hole #9 (tee and green).  Greenside and fairway bunker alterations were made to hole #1.

1956 - William F. Gordon remodeled holes #1, #4, #11, #13, #14, particularly bunkers and tees.

1958 - Gordon enlarged pond on hole #10, and added alternate tees on holes #5, #6, and #7.

1966 - RT Jones sited present practice range on original 10th fairway.  Relocated 10th tee to site of original 9th green.  Remodeled 9th green in the process of constructing 10th tee above it.  Rerouted 10th fairway, appropriated 12th green and the last third of the original 12th fairway and remodeled the 10th green, extending the front of the green to the pond edge.  Rerouted second half of 12th fairway (dogleg left) and constructed new 12th green.   Sited and constructed present 13th tee boxes, remodeled 13th fairway and routing, constructed left fairway bunkers in place of the berm.

1992 - Tom Fazio recommended mostly minor changes relating to tees, bunkering, cart routing, etc.  It appears most of the changes were approved and implemented.

[when I learn exactly what Hanse has done since, I'll update the above]

Ok, here is the original 1916 plan for the course (most figures and pictures here are clickable to obtain a larger size):

I've annotated that original plan with the holes:

Here is an aerial from Penn Pilot in 1937 (rotated about 30° clockwise from the 1916 plan above):

And here is a current (2011) Google Earth aerial with the hole-sequencing shown:

Ok, time to start the photo part of the thread.  On this day the lighting was pretty good at times, a bit cruddy on a couple of holes, but overall I think you'll enjoy the pics (all photos are clickable to 1400 pixels wide).  The course was in Spring mode with lots of trees in bloom.  And with the elevation changes it is quite photogenic, IMHO.

#1.  Par 4 (415 yards).

I don't have any hole diagrams, so I'll borrow some from Google Earth:

This hole typifies what I think are many par 4.5 holes at GM.  The card yardage isn't long, but the 2nd shot is very uphill and quite demanding due to the green not being so receptive to a long iron.

From the Design Evolution book: 

The 1st hole was originally designed as a 437 yard par five.* The rear tee location was approximately the counter of the pro shop. It played as a straight-away par 5, to the present green with the fairway direction somewhat to the right of the present fairway. Although designed by Donald Ross as the 1st hole, it was used as the 18th hole for the first seven to eight years of the club's existence. Mike Smith's house was the original clubhouse, consequently the second hole was used as the Ist hole. Donald Ross recommended in the original design that the GMGC clubhouse be constructed where it is today but it was not completed until 1926.

The original 1st tee became a problem due to sliced shots out of bounds onto Swedeland Road and later as a danger to the newly constructed houses across Swedeland Road. To partially correct this problem the direction of the fairway was moved left to its present location on the recommendation of Wayne Stiles in 1941. A large cross bunker, probably the largest on the course, approximately 100 yards off the original 1st tee, near present practice green, was filled in 1941. A long diagonal bunker on the left side, 140 yards out, was removed in the late 1930s. The right greenside bunker was added and the more rearward, left greenside bunker was grassed over in the 1940s. The original green was perfectly square and remained that way as late as the 1939 photograph. The 1st tee was moved to its present location in 1965-66 and the hole was transformed into a 427 yard par 4.

Tom Fazio remarked in 1992 that the 1st hole is "somewhat strange". The length of the hole and the unreceptiveness of the green to a long iron or wood, due to its height, has made the hole controversial. This hole is a good example of the psychology of par. It has lost approximately 20-30 yards in length from its par 5 days. Other than an altered tee shot angle, the hole is essentially the same as the original. In its first forty seven years as a par 5 it was thought to be a shortish, comfortable, "get into the round" hole. It is now well within par 4 parameters (251-475 yards) but is considered a long, difficult and controversial hole. What happened to the issue of the ball going too far with modern equipment?

The importance of "par" has changed dramatically since 1916. The "Golden Age Strategic Designers" wouldn't understand the controversy. They would probably respond: "How can the expectation of a number change a hole? It is the same hole, only shorter, play it and enjoy it." There is no doubt that the modern expectation of "par", particularly in America, and its influence on how a player responds to a hole, or its approach shot, is valid. In this case, the fact that #1 is viewed as "somewhat strange" does not mean that it is a bad hole, only that it probably "evolved" incorrectly. Maybe it should be shorter still.

This will astound some members, but, Donald Ross was adamant, early on, that all golfers play from the same tee markers. If it took a player two shots to get to the green and another player four shots, so be it. He did provide different tee boxes but believed they should only be used for rotation and differing playing conditions. One can see from this example how much the modern "stroke play" mentality has replaced the traditional "match play" mentality of golf.

Elevated tee view:

Very uphill approach shot is next:

I came up short and right of the green leaving this view:

From right of the green:

Well, that was fun!  More tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 12:03:46 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JMEvensky

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 02:02:02 PM »
Can we expect contemporaneous comment from The Lurker himself?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 02:20:03 PM »
Can we expect contemporaneous comment from The Lurker himself?

I think so.   :)

Donnie Beck

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 03:18:45 PM »
. . .
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:40:52 PM by Donnie Beck »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
. . .
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:25:36 PM by Joe Bausch »

Donnie Beck

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 03:36:35 PM »
:) glad to hear... I look forward to seeing them... Everyone I know that has played it speaks very highly of the course.

Kevin_D

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
This is great! I grew up literally just down the road from the club but somehow have never been there. Looking forward to more pics and commentary!

Kenny Baer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:13:12 PM »
Although Gulph Mills Golf Club has been mentioned frequently on this site (home club of former GCAer Tom Paul), I've never seen a thread completely dedicated to the club, nor has there ever been a photo tour.

From what I know about Gulph Mills it is a very private membership. Are you 100% sure the membership approves of you posting pictures openly on the internet for anyone to see?
Gulph Mills sure is lucky to have a member of the picture police like yourself looking out for them.  If Joe had said he didnt know would you have called the club or just refused to look at the pictures?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:14:59 PM by Kenny Baer »

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 08:04:46 PM by Doug Braunsdorf »
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »

That is clearly no fun on a Saturday night!  8)

Donnie Beck

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:28:13 PM »

From what I know about Gulph Mills it is a very private membership. Are you 100% sure the membership approves of you posting pictures openly on the internet for anyone to see?
Gulph Mills sure is lucky to have a member of the picture police like yourself looking out for them.  If Joe had said he didnt know would you have called the club or just refused to look at the pictures?

Picture police?   I have never set foot on the property why in the world would i call the club? I do however know several members as well as the greens chairman and know that they have no unaccompanied guest policy. I simply asked if his host was aware he was posting pictures? In hind sight I probably should have asked in private but my intention was not to protect the club but rather Joe so he did not offend his host.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:26:21 PM by Joe Bausch »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
In hind sight I probably should have asked in private but my intention was not to protect the club but rather Joe so he did not offend his host.

Yes, Joe was in danger of being banned to Cobbs Creek for the rest of his golf playing days!!  :D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 09:30:20 PM »
You philly guys have tight sphincters...
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »
Rat and Toilet Plunger Redux?

Well, I posted pictures from inside the clubhouse last fall showing that Tom  Paul won the the  club championship  several years  running with a hat tip to the former "Mayor of Pine Valley" John Ott  and no one from GMGC complained. I would be surprised if any  members beyond  Mr. Paul ever deign to glance at this website.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,53792.0.html

Joe, please continue with your tour.

Malcolm

And also, Donnie, would the membership  at Fishers be offended if photos showed up here? Oops, they've been here for years.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:44:34 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2013, 11:39:33 PM »
Joe,

The history is so interesting! Thanks.

I had thought that this was a pure Ross course but never "got" it  playing over the years. Other than the routing it just didn't feel that "Ross" like to me.

Thanks to you I learn the greens today are mostly Flynn rebuilds  with some Maxwell and RTJ inputs at the turn. To me, the Maxwell green at 8 is barely playable. Stiles, too? , no way, and how did Gordon get in there? Appears Fazio had a minimum impact.

I like the RTJ 9th green as well as the bend on 10.

Thanks for the view into Gulph Mills evolution.

Malcolm

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 08:06:39 AM »
Joe,
   Thank's for your effort re Gulph Mills. The history you compiled is even more detailed than I knew of as I was aware of Stile's work and RTJ's, but was unaware of Flynn or Maxwell having had hands on the property. Looking forward to your unfolding photo tour.
  I have played Gulph Mills somewhere around 90 times as a close friend is a member.  Your compendium on the 1st hole is right on, and though I have stated this twice before at GCA I will mention it again; the first at Gulph Mills is a really stern test as an opener. The approach to the green is daunting even with a mid iron because the green is steeply pitched and the shot is so up hill. Missing long is dangerous because the rough is thick on that part of the property making recovery even more of a challenge. It is very easy to overcook it just a little and the ball will come right off the green and head back down the hill. Recovery from either side of the green is just as daunting. The only safe miss is just short. Bogeys and others are plentiful on this introduction to Gulph Mills, even good players get bittten frequently. I can't think of a harder opener on any course I play regularly. It is certainly no gentle hand shake.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 08:44:38 AM »
#2.  Par 4 (404 yards).

You get a tiny breather on this 2-shotter, although you'll see the green is two-tiered and our pin this day, just barely on the upper tier, was tough.

From the Evolution Design book: 

The 2nd hole has undergone moderate alterations from the original design. A cross bunker, approximately 100 yards off the tee, was removed in 1941 by Wayne Stiles. The rightside fairway bunker is not as much in the line of playas previously and the fairway has moved left and narrowed, possibly due to the line of evergreens along Swedeland Road. Donald Ross felt the slope of the green was too severe and it was regraded in 1927. The green size has decreased over time. The original 9th tee was added, as an alternate tee, after the 8th hole was redesigned by Perry Maxwell in 1934.

The 2nd hole is a medium-length par 4, playing downhill, across a road to an uphill green. The fairway bunker on the right was the most functional of Ross' few tee shot fairway bunkers. His original design had only five tee shot bunkers. The ideal approach to the green is the right side near the bunker, but the left side is of little difference. The two-tiered green requires some thought but the 2nd hole is mild from a strategic standpoint.

Elevated tee view:

Approach shot view:

View from behind the green:

After my school's commencement finishes this morning, I'll add the No 1 stroke hole, the par 4 3rd.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:57:27 AM by Joe Bausch »

Dan Herrmann

Re: Gulph Mills GC: a photo tour and more (2nd hole up)
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »
I absolutely LOVE Gulph Mills.  Everything about it was great to me - from the locker room, to the staff ribbing the members, and obviously the golf course.    All I know is that I was treated by everybody like family when I was there.

It's a true oasis in the midst of the King of Prussia area commercial madness.

Carr Harris

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
The suprising thing to me @ GMGC is how difficult the first three holes are. It's not hard at all for even a good player to be +2 or +3 after 3.   It's suprising considering Ross's normal edict about "Handshake Starting holes" and all that.

Was the original routing changed? I can't remember if my host told me that or not.

Either way, Gulph Mills certainly has a wonderful club atmosphere that really makes everyone feel at home. The day I played, my caddy lost my putter cover and I stopped by on my way out of town the next day with my wife and 3 year old daughter to see if it had been found. While I was talking to the staff in the pro shop, my daughter proceeded to take off sprinting around the clubhouse lanai and crowded putting green. Needless to say I was horrified that they'd scream at her and ask us to leave immediately but everyone from the staff to the members were laughing and couldn't have been nicer or more understanding. It's little things like that that stick in your head and give you a nice lasting impression of a place.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »
It would be nice if Tom Paul could comment along the way.

Tom,

Why all the interior trees. On the right side I understand as that is the boundary, but there looks to be room for clearing on the left of 1 and 2?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2013, 12:34:34 PM »
It would be nice if Tom Paul could comment along the way.

He is.  Hang in there.   :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
From The Lurker:

At a time like this with Joe Bausch's excellent thread on GOLFCLUBATLAS.com, I realize this man Tom Paul who put that GMGC Design booklet together was apparently something of a novice golf architecture researcher/writer when he did that booklet back around 1997-98.

It was done before GOLFCLUBATLAS.com existed and at the time he was still just a mindless tournament golfer who essentially had little interest in golf course architecture or its history. All he knew at the time about golf architecture was how to recognize enough about its configurations and nuances to be able to score fairly well on it.

That all changed around 1997 when Paul was sitting having drinks on the patio of Manufacturers GC with a field of golfers after a qualifier for the Pa State Open. After about two and a half bottles of red wine, some of which he spilt all over himself apparently leading some of the Manufacturer's employees to suspect he had somehow severely cut himself, TEPaul began speaking with the superintendent of Manufacturers about the architecture of that golf course and he informed him he came from Gulph Mills GC. The super told TEPaul there was a remarkable collection of old aerial photographs (the Dallin Collection) of most all the old courses of the Delaware Valley at an old DuPont estate now known as the Hagley Museum in Wilmington Del.

Paul went down there and bought all the old aerials of GMGC and a number of other courses and was just blown away by the numerous changes in so many of them from those old aerials (early 1920s to 1939). What he first noticed via this comparison was how and how much so many courses had most all their features shrunken in over time by both trees and maintenance factors---eg shrunken hole corridors, fairways, greens and bunkers.  And so began his interest in the history of golf course architecture. He put that booklet together only for his own interest. Paul was a real estate broker at the time who played about 40+ tournaments annually for the previous twenty years or so. Therefore, at the time he probably knew no more about golf course architecture than that insurance broker and novice golf architect, Hugh Wilson of Merion, when MCC asked him to design a new course for them in Ardmore in 1911 (Merion East). Within a year, the president of GMGC saw this architectural research and design chronicle and had it put together with the aerials into a booklet and had a thousand copies published that included having it handed out to every member and new member of GMGC. That definitely had an impact on the memberships' education and appreciation for the course and its architectural history.

I write this as a preface to explain that there appears to be a number of inaccuracies of fact in that 1999 GMGC Design Evolution booklet. One of them is that William Flynn 'rebuilt' seventeen of GMGC's original Ross greens. The exact fact is that Flynn (with the over-view of the Wilson brothers) only re-grassed those seventeen greens as they had been undergoing agronomic problems, since, inexplicably, in the late teens the greenkeeper (John Reid) had planted them with wheat! (for which Reid was summarily fired, leading him to mercilessly trash-mouth both GMGC and Flynn and Wilson for the next few ensuing years. Could this have been why Wilson and Flynn bitch-slapped Reid upside his stump-like head and came into Philmont to fix Reid's Philmont South?).

At this time, it may not be known if the membership of GMGC objects to this type of publication on the world-wide Internet, and a discussion of their immensely private course and club. If they do object you may expect Bausch and those he played the course with to be out of action for a year or so while they undergo some form of Rendition and water-boarding in some CIA contract country. If it comes to something like that, I will personally intervene and speak with TEPaul to ask him to try to prevail on the GMGC membership to amend this Rendition to only enough torture to determine which architect and course Bausch and those he played with hate most; at which point they will all be imprisoned on that course and forced to play it every day for up to a year.

The Lurker His-self  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:31:06 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
The suprising thing to me @ GMGC is how difficult the first three holes are. It's not hard at all for even a good player to be +2 or +3 after 3.   It's suprising considering Ross's normal edict about "Handshake Starting holes" and all that.

Was the original routing changed? I can't remember if my host told me that or not.

From The Lurker:

In the first few years after the course opened for play, the 2nd hole served as the 1st and the 1st served as the 18th. The reason for that was although Ross sited the clubhouse where it is today, the clubhouse was not built for a few years. The temporary clubhouse was the building just to the right of the first green that was part of the farm that preceded GMGC.

At another point, the club switched the nines simply so that it would be easier to get a cocktail coming off #18 (the front nine) on the way to the back nine. That iteration only lasted a year or so and the club switched back to the routing and sequence Ross designed.

In answer to that point about Ross wanting an easier "handshake" type hole to open the round, the original (and present) 1st hole was a short par 5. The tee for it was just about in the middle of what is now the pro shop, so it was longer than it is today. One interesting aspect of this course is that Ross apparently asked that a sycamore tree be planted on each side of every tee box. One can still see one massive sycamore tree next to the pro shop. More than half of them are now going but a few remain next to some of Ross's original tees.

Another interesting aspect of Ross's GMGC course, is it may be one of the few courses in the world that was originally designed (1916) with a longer total card yardage than it is today from the tips.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:31:22 PM by Joe Bausch »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Before putting up pics for the 3rd hole, I've been having some informative conversations with The Lurker about the less obvious aspects of some of the greens and their surrounds at GM.  Three of them involved a good amount of engineering employing "cut and level" techniques (others call this "cut and fill") as the natural grade was too steep to just drop a green on.  

Go back to the first post in the thread and look at the 1916 topo map.  Here you can see that green #2 employed the "cut and level" technique.  Two other original greens required this technique as well.  I will not reveal them till later.  But perhaps you'll want to see if you can guess them from the pics together with the topo map.

From the Lurker:  

Note the swales surrounding those greens (cut) and also note how a lot of the fill (cuts) came from not just the upper side but also the lower side from which quite deep bunkering was created.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 02:32:07 PM by Joe Bausch »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back