News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Minogue

We already have a thread on whats going on over the pond in the U.S., lets see whats going on in Europe.

I will start with a couple of easy ones the couple of New Builds that I know of,

St Andrews International (Scotland): Tom Weiskopf
Parnu Bay (Estonia): Lassi Pekka Tilander
Cherkley Court (England) : David Kidd
St Emillion (France) : Tom Doak

Cheers.

Paul Gray

Since we're compiling, a recent thread showed Frank Pont et al doing excellent restoration work at Broadstone.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Jud_T

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jonathan Davison

David,

August will see the opening of my new course at Penati Golf Resort, Slovakia. Also I hope to break ground on a new 27 hole project in Slovakia sometime this year, I will post some more information in a month or so.

Slovakia will also see another nine holes at the Grey Bear Golf Resort, Tale, Slovakia designed by Bob Walton.

Next year I am hoping to start a nice little nine hole project in Poland another sandy site which could be fun.

Jeremy Plüss

In Andermatt, Switzerland a course by Kurt Rossknecht is under construction. Because of its high altitude, it won't open until 2016.

http://www.andermatt-swissalps.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Destination/Andermatt_Morgen/Golf/1_Aktuelle_Bilder/Front_Destination_Golf_Plan.jpg

Jon Wiggett

I was offered the constructional supervision lead on this project back in 2008 by the owners but felt it was not the right move for me at that time. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Jon

Niall Hay

St Emillion (France) : Tom Doak

Is there any more detail on this course?

Frank Pont

Quite busy at the moment, with restoration work and design work for new courses.

Restoration the following:

- Hardelot Les Pins (Simpson). Patrice Boissonnas and I did the front nine work last winter and we will do the back nine this upcoming winter. Lots of tree removal, exposing sand, creating new tees,  restoring the bunkers back to the lace edge Simpson style, expanding fore greens and greens back to their historic sizes. Will post pics later in the year when it has grown in a bit more.

- le Touquet La Mer (Colt). After having had to wait for a extensive ecological investigation, we can now move ahead with the work of restoring the courses original routing between holes 11-17, extensive tree removal, exposing sand, restoring the Colt sand face bunkers and widening fairways.

- Tandridge (Colt). Finishing the restoration of all the bunkers and green surrounds of the whole course with the last 4 holes, namely (14,15,16,17).

- Broadstone (Colt). Expect that Jeff Stein and i will be doing more work at this beautiful and impressive Colt heathland course this winter.

- Tyneside (Colt). Will be tackling 2 holes this year, and be further developing a new alternate hole 2, which is currently part of the practice range.

- Swinley Forest (Colt). Will continue the low profile restoration work we started last year, restoring the left green bunker on hole 4 (the right bunkers were done last winter), the green bunkers on hole 5 and further significant rhodo clearance.

- Amsterdam Old Course (Alison/ Colt).  In the process of completely rebuilding this late Alison design in Amsterdam. Because it was built on pure peat it always was very wet. We are nog excavating 5 m deep and filling it with 7-8 m of good soil, so the restored course will be 2 m higher than before and a lot dryer. All the historic greens have been surveyed and will be rebuild exactly. Non original greens have been changed to Colt style greens inspired by greens at R Hague and Eindhovensche

- Royal Spa (Simpson). Will finally start the restoration of the famous 6th hole, La Fortresse, this winter.

- Toxandria (Colt/Morisson) .  Two new holes 5, 6 will be built to replace two holes that were added some 30 years ago but never really blended with the other holes.

- Malaga (Colt/Simpson). Very exciting restoration project in southern spain of a original links course designed by Colt and later expanded by Simpson. Waiting for funding to come through. Could become one of the best courses in the south of Spain.

- Hoge Kleij.(Pennink). Continue the process of tree removal, fairway widening and heather regeneration. Is starting to be serious competition for Hilversum and Rosendaelsche

Expect to be able to announce 2-3 more exciting UK projects in the next two months

Frank Pont

New builds. 

No construction work this year, but lots of design and master planning work. All projects restricted to Benelux, do not want to travel further than that for time consuming new build projects as long as I have small children ( My wife and I both work 4 days a week, take ca of our kids one day a week). Exception would be that exiting new links course somewhere on the globe  :) ....

Hulst on Sea. A massive project on the coast of the westerschelde, the sea inlet leading to Antwerpen. Will require 4 mil cubes of soil to create a dunes landscape over the existing sea dykes, a undertaking similar to what was done at Bayonne. Will be first Dutch course with 8 holes having direct sea views. Also up to 15 m height differences.

Ullerberg. A 9 holes reversible course, on a former sand quarry with changes of altitudes of more than 20 m.

Vlagheide. A links style project on a former waste dump with height differences of up to 15 m. Unique in that the dump was originally designed to have slopes gentle enough to accommodate a golf course

Rolduc.  A project in the south of the Netherlands, on the grounds of on of the oldest and grandest monasteries of W Europe. Set among old copses of trees and height differences of more that 30 meters

Interestingly enough all these projects will have very un Dutch changes in altitudes!

Steve Okula

Not this year, but if all goes well in 2014 Kyle Philips will be starting an 18 hole resort course at Sangatte near Calais. It's relatively flat terrain right on the sea, and I have no doubt Kyle will turn it into a brilliant links à la Kingsbarns.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Joey Chase

I recently visited Evian, France where European Golf Designs along with Steve Smyers are doing a renovation to the course there.  They have done some fairly major changes to the course including re-routing several holes.  All of the greens were rebuilt as well as the bunkers.  They still have a way to go before it will be completed, but they are hoping to have it open before the Evian Masters is played in September.

David Minogue

Glad to hear some people are busy, hopefully its the sign that things are picking up again.

I guess with the way the money market is in Europe we are lucky to have any new stuff being built or even renovated/restored.

Hopefully we might see whats happening in the States the clubs who didnt over extend themselves in the good times may have some money
to spend over the next couple of years.

I guess they will be getting very competitive prices from architects and contractors now!!!

Cheers.

Gary Slatter

Is Morocco close enough?   
The CASA GREEN GOLF CLUB opened on April 20.  Apparently it's a great links like course designed by Jeremy Pern.   The project was put together by BRAEMAR GOLF (PGA UK) which is based in St. Andrews Scotland.  The course comes with a mandatory teaching facility, lessons in French, Arabic and English.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Minogue

Forgot this one in Austria that is going to be starting sometime in the fall.

http://www.asgca.org/news/694-scot-sherman-asgca-begins-austrian-design-with-anders-forsbrandwith-

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

Nicklaus Design's two year reconstruction of Ullna GC just north of Stockholm is nearly finished and the course will re-open on June 8th.

David Minogue

Yes Donal, from what i have seen in pictures they seemed to have given it  a right overhaul. I think the budget was in around 7 million euro's, i will say i found the bunkers and the shaping of them interesting. I guess they went with a different style compared to other newer courses such as brohoff and vibanis. Cheers.

Joel_Stewart

Kyle Phillips is building a course near the Eurotunnel in France.  It's being touted as a championship tournament course???

David Minogue

The blog of the construction and such at Ullna (Nicklaus) project. Cheers

http://uppgradering.ullnagolf.se/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back