GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Quail Hollow greens issue - Thanks

(1/18) > >>

Carl Johnson:
Here's the text from a mass e-mail notice I just received from the Golf Channel.  I'll be spectating at the Wells Fargo there next week.  Wonder what went wrong?  Can sod take hold and come together for tournament play in a week or so?

On the heels of Tiger Woods' decision to officially skip next week's Wells Fargo Championship, a report surfaced Tuesday night that multiple greens at Quail Hollow Club have been forced to undergo emergency maintenance this week.

According to Golfweek, both the eighth and 10th greens at the Charlotte, N.C. club were completely re-sodded Tuesday, just nine days before tournament play is set to officially begin at one of the PGA Tour's marquee events.

"They would not have been in acceptable condition," explained Andy Pazder, the Tour's senior vice president of tournament adminstration, according to the report. "It was a rather extraordinary step."

The report indicates that portions of both the 12th and 13th greens also received new sod Tuesday, repairs which Pazder noted were for aesthetic purposes.

Johnson Wagner, a three-time PGA Tour winner and member at Quail Hollow, reportedly played the course two weeks ago and was forced to putt on temporary greens at both Nos. 8 and 10. According to Wagner, the problems with the 10th green can be traced back to excessive top-dressing by the Tour's agronomy staff in the weeks leading up to the event.

"It went from a perfectly sodded green three weeks ago, which I thought was unbelievable, to being dead," he noted.

According to the report, Pazder disagreed with the notion that top-dressing was to blame for the issues addressed Tuesday.

"There were a number of factors involved which contributed to the decline in conditions of the 10th green," he explained. "But over-top-dressing was not one of them."

Whatever solutions are created in advance of next week's event will likely be short-lived; all 18 greens at Quail Hollow will reportedly be torn up once the final putt drops, set to be replaced as the club begins preparations to host the PGA Championship in 2017.

Matt MacIver:
I heard there was no choice but to re-sod again, otherwise they would have been putting on spray-painted dirt, or worse if it rained.  They are going to close the course the week after the tournament and re-do all the greens to Bermuda. 

Carl Johnson:

--- Quote from: Matt MacIver on April 24, 2013, 01:38:27 PM ---I heard there was no choice but to re-sod again, otherwise they would have been putting on spray-painted dirt, or worse if it rained.  They are going to close the course the week after the tournament and re-do all the greens to Bermuda. 

--- End quote ---

Matt, have you heard what caused the greens to die? 

Alex Miller:

--- Quote from: Carl Johnson on April 24, 2013, 02:35:30 PM ---
--- Quote from: Matt MacIver on April 24, 2013, 01:38:27 PM ---I heard there was no choice but to re-sod again, otherwise they would have been putting on spray-painted dirt, or worse if it rained.  They are going to close the course the week after the tournament and re-do all the greens to Bermuda. 

--- End quote ---

Matt, have you heard what caused the greens to die? 

--- End quote ---

No one say nematodes...  ;)

Carl Johnson:
Here's an article in today's Charlotte Observer (local daily newspaper) about the resodding.  Still, no mention of what happened.  We know they know, but aren't saying, and apparently the sports department isn't pressing Quail on it.  http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/24/4002027/quail-hollow-rolls-out-a-solution.html#disqus_thread

The article reports that the newly sodded greens will be playable, but softer and slower than the others.  Should be interesting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version