News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim_Weiman

Would you recommend Bandon Dunes?
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:04:40 PM »
.......to a single woman, early 40s, avid golfer who just wants to get away by herself for a week, play golf and tune out the rest of the world?

.......and, does Bandon make more or less sense than Scotland?

Not asking about the relative merits of either location for a group of guys, but a single woman.

Any thoughts?

Tim Weiman

Alex Miller

Re: Would you recommend Bandon Dunes?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
.......to a single woman, early 40s, avid golfer who just wants to get away by herself for a week, play golf and tune out the rest of the world?

Not asking about the relative merits of either location for a group of guys, but a single woman.

Any thoughts?

I don't know if I would go to Bandon by myself for a week. Bandon seems like a group destination, or at least multiple people. If she (or I) went to Scotland I'd imagine it would be much easier to have new experiences, meet new people (there are other tourists and travellers who probably have a more open disposition), and take it all in.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:16:41 PM »
I agree with Alex.  Seems like a harder place to interact with other people. 

How about Pebble/Carmel?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »
Never been to Scotland, but Bandon would be fine. Unless you need stores and high fashion. Instead you have a gorgeous sea coast, and parks galore.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 03:23:04 PM »

Any thoughts?

No, I wouldn't.  Unless she can play 3 rounds/day.  It would be a very lonely dinner hour/down time between rounds.

Bart

Greg Tallman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 03:25:37 PM »
Cabo... and give her my number  ;)

Jud_T

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 03:32:49 PM »
I'd recommend Bandon to anyone who loves the game.  Alternate 36 hole days with 18 hole days followed by a massage, just like us fat middle aged guys.  As a single she can even play it by ear and get paired up with random couples etc. or easily get out on any of the courses.  Hit the par 3.  Pull up a stool in the bar and bet the bartender drinks on how many random guys strike up a conversation. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Nixon

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »
I thought the original post mentioned she wanted to be off by herself. Why the concern with whether or not she'd find people to interact with in the following posts?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
Ireland - for the single male or female.

Alex Miller

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
I thought the original post mentioned she wanted to be off by herself. Why the concern with whether or not she'd find people to interact with in the following posts?

Getting away from it all and being by yourself are two very different things to me. We got away from it all at the KP in Bandon, but we were very much not alone. (Insert X-files music here)

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 04:01:45 PM »
If she wants to be by herself, from what all you are saying Bandon should work perfectly.  

If at some point she finds she wants company, the male/female ratio at Bandon is decidedly in her favor.  

Jud_T

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Importantly, where's she hailing from?  Chicago/Dallas or points west, Bandon is the clear choice IMO.   From the East Coast GB&I might be easier.  Also costs/jet lag/customs to consider.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

JLahrman

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »
If you're travelling by yourself perhaps you like to be alone; that's probably the point.

The key is if you are content with golf-golf-golf or if you want some cultural options.

I love Bandon but it's pretty much golf and golf only unless you want to take a nice drive up the coast or hang out in your room and read a book. There is a lot more to explore and experience in Scotland/Ireland if that's your cup of tea. If you want to take an afternoon off the course you'll likely have a lot more options in Scotland or Ireland than you will in Bandon.

If you just want to play golf, don't mind being on your own, and are indifferent as to whether you meet new people or not, then it would be hard to beat Bandon.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
I love Bandon but it's pretty much golf and golf only unless you want to take a nice drive up the coast or hang out in your room and read a book. ...

Maybe she's one that likes long walks on the beach at sunset.
;D

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 04:28:35 PM »
Some people like their own company and rather enjoy being alone.  I don't think it makes a difference where you go.   
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Yes.
Both would be great options to get lost for a week male or female.
The differences are at Bandon no car is required.
In Scotland I would want to travel a bit either to North Berwick or Dornoch or similar.
Tee times are difficult at The Old Course.
No easy wifi or access via phone in Scotland - which would be a positive I assume.
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 04:33:07 PM »
I love Bandon but it's pretty much golf and golf only unless you want to take a nice drive up the coast or hang out in your room and read a book. ...

;D

And pina coladas?

JLahrman

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 04:39:21 PM »

;D

And pina coladas?

Yeah well a long walk on the beach with either of you two would make playing golf alone sound ideal. Not to mention reading War and Peace in a locked room.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:49:48 PM by JLahrman »

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 04:59:14 PM »
Wow...this one's beyond easy. Hang out in St Andrews for a week...do the ballot if you want or just get up early, hit the starter's shack and meet some interesting locals as a single. Play TOC a couple of times...hit some of the other gems in the neighborhood...chill on the beach or in town.

I would do this at least once a year except my wife insists on coming along  :)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:01:49 PM by Chris DeNigris »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
Waterford Resort - an ivy covered castle...

with luxury accommodations....

...located on a private island with its own golf course.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

BCrosby

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:18 PM »
Several years ago my wife and I did a trip to England. At our B&B in Rye, we sat next to an attractive woman at breakfast who was there alone touring southern England. Turns out she was a retired teacher from Philadelphia. I was at first concerned for her, but soon came to realize that she was doing exactly what she wanted to do and quite happy to be alone in, as they say, a strange land. We finished breakfast and moved on. Never saw her again, but I was impressed with her quiet composure. She still comes to mind every now and again.  

Bob  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »
Definitely yes.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
Tim,

Don't listen to those guys, they're all morons.

Of course Bandon would be great, a genuine twofer.

She can play all the golf she wants......... and guess what, she'll meet alot of guys with a common interest.

Talk about shooting fish in a barrel.

If you love golf, Bandon is terrific.
The golf, lodging, food, service and experience are worth it, not to mention the trolling  ;D

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 07:16:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Actually, my brother is a friend of this woman and he asked that I call her this weekend to make a recommendation. Apparently, her interest is really to go to Scotland, but I was leaning toward an Ireland recommendation. Got me to thinking about Bandon as a possible alternative, which is why I started this thread.

So often we talk about things probably imagining a group of guys going somewhere. This is a different twist, I think.

Thanks again. If you have any further thoughts, that would be great.
Tim Weiman

Doug Wright

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Tim,

My last trip to Bandon I was paired with a single woman in her 50s for two rounds. Although an avid golfer, she was not a good player (picked up on several holes but didn't care), had the same Bandon caddy as her companion both days and was playing 18 holes per day. She had a great time, and she told me so (it wasn't just due to the wonderful playing partners she had... ;)). Of course, in many respects this question is no different than if you were taliking about a guy--it's what her/his preferences are for golf and the attendant surroundings that matter. But from my one observation it can be a great place to visit and play for a single woman visitor.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back