GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Is this the worst rule in golf?

<< < (3/5) > >>

TEPaul:
Rich:

I'm not certain about it but I might surmise that when Richard Tufts (former USGA Pres and rules expert) wrote "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf" in 1960 he probably did so because he believed that far too many "exceptions" had already found their way into the Rules of Golf.

Tufts was also one of the central characters who was part of the combined committee that unified the Rules of Golf between the USGA and the R&A in the early 1950s. I vaguely remember my father saying no way in hell would they ever pull that off but they did.

All in all golf and the rules probably needed that kind of unification but still there were numerous people who never believed it would ever happen.

In a way that task (the unification of the separate USGA and the R&A rules into one) by that combined committee was a herculean task and I view it as a perfect blueprint for the regulatory bodies today (and all the other important enitities in the world of golf) to get together and do it again!

Obviously, what they should concentrate on is the distance the ball goes and might go and what that means to the future of architecture and to the future of golf.

TEPaul:
"Actually the worst rule in golf is the local one banning penetrating metal spikes."

redanman;

If you really believe that you should adopt the requirement that Aronimink (I believe it is) adopted which is penetrating spikes are technically only banned on the greens (and probably in the clubhouse). What you need to do is bring a pair of softspikes with you in your bag and every time you get to the green change from your spiked shoes to your soft spikes. I don't think you're in danger of slipping and losing your footing on the putting greens, do you? And when you change your shoes 18-20 times a round you'd better be damned quick about it or I'll penalize you for violating Rule 6-7!!    ;)  

ForkaB:
Tom

That ploy only works when you are playing in tournaments that don't apply the "One Shoe" rule.

JohnV:
The worst rule in golf is that there is no rule allowing us to shoot the guy who doesn't replace the divot or rake the bunker. ;)

Rick Shefchik:
Gotta disagree with Tiger here. I don't want the Rules Poobahs to take away one of my best excuses.

By the way, I love Watson's reaction to a ball in a divot hole. Truthfully, I've hit more good shots than bad out of divot holes, to the point where I consider it one of the better shots in my bag. I wouldn't say my eyes light up, but I do see it as win-win: Either I hit a cool shot that I can brag about (if I were so inclined), or I can hardly be blamed for my poor shot, given the horrible lie I had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version