News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Trump at Doral
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 02:59:41 PM »
Tommy,

I know people think he's "promoting the show."  Yet, no one has challenged him on the facts face to face on TV or in an interview for publication. He continues to associate his Pine Hill (now Trump Philadelphia) with Pine Valley just because it's nearby. While "we" know that Pine Hill is a good Fazio course, it's nowhere near Pine Valley as a golf course. The general public doesn't know. As a matter of fact, he has done a fine job there with the course, clubhouse, facilities and service and he deserves the  success in the resuscitation of this club to the point that there is now a waiting list.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 03:17:25 PM »
Tommy,

I know people think he's "promoting the show."  Yet, no one has challenged him on the facts face to face on TV or in an interview for publication. He continues to associate his Pine Hill (now Trump Philadelphia) with Pine Valley just because it's nearby. While "we" know that Pine Hill is a good Fazio course, it's nowhere near Pine Valley as a golf course. The general public doesn't know. As a matter of fact, he has done a fine job there with the course, clubhouse, facilities and service and he deserves the  success in the resuscitation of this club to the point that there is now a waiting list.

Steve,

The general public doesn't know how good Pine Valley is..nevermind that the other Pine is distinctly different. Those that do know about PV are not confused at all.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 03:20:10 PM »
Tommy,

But challenge him on what grounds?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he doesn't usually get specific. he's not calling Trump LA, "the #1 ranked course in California" because there is no ranking to point at. But he calls it the #1 or the Best course in California ... and he can do that just fine. If there are people out there who think it really must be better than Pebble Beach because of the words that splash across the web site ... well, let's just say that person isn't going to have his mind changed by someone confronting the Donald on Morning Drive.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:01 PM »
In his Morning Drive interview this morning, Trump said this about Palm Beach International , " it is now rated the number one course in Florida..."

How can any interviewer let this slide?

« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 03:47:05 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 03:42:49 PM »
In his Morning Drive interview this morning, Trump said this about Palm Beach International , " it is now rated the number one course in Florida..."

How can any interviewer let thsi slide?

Fair enough. Maybe Trump has a magazine with course ratings.

But overall ... lol at calling golf commentators journalists or expecting them to practice hard-hitting interviews. Hell, it's hard enough to find that in politics these days.

Brad Klein

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 03:46:30 PM »
Steve,

Morning Drive/Golf Channel are not journalists. They are in the entertainment business. For what it's worth some of us have challenged him in person and in print on these various claims. If you notice, he gets a lot more air time than any one else, and we live in an age when assertion and confidence go a long way towards determining the truth.  Besides, I am sure there are some regional ratings lists somewhere he has in mind that he can use to bolster his claims, even if it's not on the basis of a national list.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Brad,

As you know, Damon Hack was a journalist for the NYT. Now he is employed by TGC now owned by Comcast which owns  NBC which airs Trump's The Apprentice so he is probably under orders not to confront  Trump.  I'd like to know which publication rates PBI #1.

Blake Conant

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 03:56:45 PM »
After looking at Doral's website, there's nothing on there claiming it as a highly ranked or rated golf course. 

But this is from The Trump International West Palm Beach website:

"it is currently listed by Golf Digest as one of the 50 Best New Golf Clubs built in the United States. The prestigious Florida Golf Magazine rates it “the #1 course in the state of Florida” and it is ranked nationally by GOLF Magazine's "Top 100 in the Country".

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
The "prestigious Florida Golf Magazine" does not RATE golf courses, readers vote:

http://www.floridagolfmagazine.com/FGMwinter2012/FloridasBestGolfCourses2012.html

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 04:19:06 PM »
Steve,

Morning Drive/Golf Channel are not journalists. They are in the entertainment business. For what it's worth some of us have challenged him in person and in print on these various claims. If you notice, he gets a lot more air time than any one else, and we live in an age when assertion and confidence go a long way towards determining the truth.  Besides, I am sure there are some regional ratings lists somewhere he has in mind that he can use to bolster his claims, even if it's not on the basis of a national list.

Brad,

When he made that statement to me a few years ago I told him that Trump WPB wasn't even in the top 3 in Palm Beach County.
When he asked me which courses were better, I cited Boca Rio which he's played, Seminole and Pine Tree.

Net result ?   It didn't matter.

He's a great promoter, one of the greatest of all time, so why let the facts get in the way of consummate promotion.

The guy is fabulous at what he does.

And, he loves golf, so what if he embellishes ?
;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:21:49 PM by Patrick_Mucci »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
Trump must have paid a lot of people to sit down and vote in Florida Golf Magazine for PBI or comped a lot of people to play there and then vote in this "prestigious" magazine. 

Steve Lapper

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »
Gents,

I have been made privy to Gil's drawings for each and every hole at Doral Blue.

Out of respect for copyright and other laws and morals, I will not post them in on a public site. They are exquisite and offer considerable changes (all positive IMO) to all 18 holes. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to IM me.

Cheers,

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Steve,

That's great.

Having played Doral since it opened, it will be interesting to see what Gil has in store for the course.

Will Dick Wilson be happy ? ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2013, 01:22:12 PM »
Did anyone in the media question Muhammad Ali when he stated that he was the greatest of all time ? ;D

Did anyone question him in person ?

Did it stop him from proclaiming that he was the greatest of all time ?

Love him or hate him, he's got a pretty good track record.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2013, 04:14:22 PM »
Did anyone in the media question Muhammad Ali when he stated that he was the greatest of all time ? ;D

The difference, which is obvious, is that Ali WAS the greatest of all time. Or at the very least was in the conversation. I don't know anyone with an IQ over 70 who would rank Trump's course the best in Florida. It's an asinine statement from a guy who's made a living making asinine statements.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2013, 05:32:43 PM »

The difference, which is obvious, is that Ali WAS the greatest of all time.

That's debatable

Or at the very least was in the conversation.

I don't know anyone with an IQ over 70 who would rank Trump's course the best in Florida.

I don't think it's got anything to do with IQ.  Moreso exposure and experience.

It's an asinine statement from a guy who's made a living making asinine statements.

Dan, for a guy who, according to you, makes assinine statements, he's sure done pretty well for himself, for his many members and golf.

He must be doing more than a few things right

BHoover

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:43 PM »
I have no problem with Trump putting money into golf, although I've never played a Trump course.

I do hope that his courses are better than his hair...but how can that not be the case?

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
What, if anything, has Mr. Trump done for public golf in the United States?

WW

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:23 PM »

Wade,

Please reread this thread..

You are aware that Doral is open to the public, aren't you ?

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2013, 07:11:38 PM »

Dan, for a guy who, according to you, makes assinine statements, he's sure done pretty well for himself, for his many members and golf.

He must be doing more than a few things right

Not sure what kind of bizarro form of logic you're using to draw that conclusion. Are you saying that because I observed that he makes asinine statements, I would also say that he hasn't done well for himself? Those two things are unrelated. It's not an "If A then B" relationship. Of course he's done well for himself. He's done VERY well for himself, stepping on those beneath him on his way to wealth.

Are YOU saying that he doesn't make asinine statements? Do a quick Google search of "dumb things Donald Trump has said." You'll find websites and Facebook pages dedicated to the diarrhea that spews out of his mouth.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »

Wade,

Doral costs ~$1400 per foursome.

He's buying and redoing some golf courses and occasionally building others but he isn't growing the game.

WW

archie_struthers

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
 8) ??? ::)

Do think that Muhammad Ali 's claim to greatness was far more accurate . However we should be inured to Trump's hyperbole by now.  Self promotion is his shtick, and we all know it.  If you got him alone without the cameras , I would think he might laugh along with you regarding some of his outrageous statements as to the golf courses.

It's pretty hard to argue that he's good for golf anymore.  He is!   He promotes it constantly, and has saved some wonderful properties from creeping decay.  How he is going to profit from it all is another question. Somehow he must have a grand plan, because its not thru the usual consolidation methods of cut, cut ,cut in the quality of product or service . It seems  almost unanimous that the golf properties he has touched are top shelf in this regard.  In any sales effort , enthusiasm for the product remains a key to success.

Jud_T

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
I hope Gil is putting some slope back in those greens.  They're running 13 and Tiger's batting 1.000 inside 10 feet.  Of course he's below the hole every time.  So much for Shivas' theory...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

jeffwarne

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2013, 01:35:48 PM »
I hope Gil is putting some slope back in those greens. 

+1
The greens look somewhat difficult due to variable speed and being baked out and super fast.
Love to see the challenge be due to green undulation and even better some tilt. (so they didn't have to be near dead to create challenge)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »

Wade,

Doral costs ~$1400 per foursome.

He's buying and redoing some golf courses and occasionally building others but he isn't growing the game.

First of all, That's not his responsibility, but if building new courses isn't growing the game, I don't know what is.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back