News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

New Mike Miller paintings added under Art & Architecture
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
We are posting a Feature Interview with a 34 year old golf course architect later today. As we assembled it, I couldn’t help but think what a tough profession to be in at that age in this economic environment.

Similar sentiments apply to other artists in other fields. Yet without art, where is culture? Excluding the super high end, demand for original art has suffered since 2008 so it is a pleasure to shine the spotlight on worthy works via our Art & Architecture section. Not that Mike Miller is 34 years old (mind you!) nor is he complaining. He gets to do what he loves everyday which is more than most people can claim. He keeps painting away, finding inspiration from site visits and/or photographs that capture his fancy.

The locations of the thirteen 2012 additions we have just posted in his section include Scotland and Ireland and span from Long Island to Hawaii in the United States with the only common theme being diversity. Maybe your eye is drawn to the manner in which he captures trees or sandy soil or maybe one of his famous skies like in his NGLA painting. He even includes man-made structures these days like a covered bridge or a clubhouse high on a ridge.

Having original art is transformational and comes with the risk that everything else in your room will look woeful. I embrace that problem/challenge as a happy one indeed! Of the 1,000 plus raging alcoholics masquerading as distinguished visitors  8) that have come through GolfClubAtlas.com’s Southern Pines campus, Mike’s original works on the 6th at Westward Ho! and the 18th at Kapalua Plantation always gain much unsolicited attention.

Lots has happened in the golf world since I first met Mike in ~1997 as the Head Golf Professional at Riviera. He has been out on his own as a painter for well over a decade and now lives in Anderson, Indiana. His contact details are in his section. Perhaps your unappreciative partner should treat you to a limited edition print for being such a good person this year?  ;) Maybe you should even order it on her behalf to save her time?  ;D

Give Mike a shout. Artists have their own ways of looking at things and you will learn something just from talking to him. I know I do.

Cheers,

John Chilver-Stainer

Re: New Mike Miller paintings added under Art & Architecture
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:24:47 PM »
Good luck to Mike Miller.

Painting can be a solitary occupation, but when you get it right - it's very rewarding (in a self way)

A very current question that blitzes across my mind - will the changing silhouette of the 11th Green at the Old Course provoke golf course artists of this world to paint new renditions!!!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:33:37 PM by John Chilver-Stainer »

Chris Buie

Re: New Mike Miller paintings added under Art & Architecture
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »
Mike has produced a lot of really striking work. There are several I like very much - especially the one of Riviera. I hope he gets to continue to evolve with his abilities. Not all people have a talent which is worth going out of your way to encourage - but there are some who are. Clearly, Mike belongs in the latter group. I am quite certain that continuing down this path will result in more than a few works on the upper tier of the form. And the presentation of a variety of works on the upper tier is something you want to have happen. For the culture to be healthy and optimal you are going to want it to be robust with enriching works. Or, at least that's what I think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back