News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCowan

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills (resized pix)
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 08:01:58 PM »
Cheers Ben & Dick

I wish I had a few good pix of the 1st, but alas the sun wasn't favouring me.  It may be the best hole on the course, but my tip for favourite must be the 13th - what a hole.  I didn't think trees were a big issue mainly because there were so many great specimens not mucked with by stupid trees and I think the club likely keeps the tree areas well cleared of harsh rough/undergrowth.  Look at pix of the 2nd to the right.  That is my idea of a perfect tree area.

Ben - if you get the chance, play Birmingham CC.  The greens are very good and there are a lot of fine holes.   

I resized the pix so they are much better framed now.  Take another look.  

Ciao

S,

I had the great fortune of playing Franklin again today.  The course is so good imo.  If 200 trees were removed and 17 was tweaked it could possibly be a 9 Imho.  I think it is as good as Inverness and would surpass it with tweaking 17 alone.  #7, 10, and 11 would greatly improve with tree removal.  The course should definitely be applauded for all the trees they took out in 2003ish. 

Rob Collins

Re: DETROIT: Tigers, Beer, Birmingham CC & Franklin Hills
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 09:00:23 PM »
It's great to see Franklin Hills get some attention on GCA. I had the pleasure of touring it in May with Ari. In addition to having the chance to play some of the more well known courses in the area, I came away with the impression that FH is the class of the bunch in Detroit.
Rob Collins

www.kingcollinsgolf.com
@kingcollinsgolf on Twitter
@kingcollinsgolf on Instagram

BCowan

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 09:06:12 PM »
It's great to see Franklin Hills get some attention on GCA. I had the pleasure of touring it in May with Ari. In addition to having the chance to play some of the more well known courses in the area, I came away with the impression that FH is the class of the bunch in Detroit.

+1, you gotta love that they don't care about rankings.  The club seems to embrace being under the radar, which is great.  So many world class holes. 

BHoover

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 09:25:03 PM »
Disappointed I couldn't make it. Did you take any photos? Who did the renovation/restoration work?

BCowan

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
Disappointed I couldn't make it. Did you take any photos? Who did the renovation/restoration work?

Prichard, it was back in 03'.  Wasn't in SE Mich then. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:31:02 PM by BCowan »

Niall Hay

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »

So many world class holes. 

Which holes do you consider world class?

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2014, 07:12:53 PM »

Niall

I think 13 is an All Michigan Candidate...perhaps the first as well.  Franklin is more about a very good diet of holes of varied terrain without many real standouts.  13 for me is an obvious choice.  #1 is long and tough, but what sets it apart is the huge green. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall Hay

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2014, 07:27:46 PM »
13 is a cool hole. Fun to play too.

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2014, 07:31:07 PM »

World class #2, #9, #13, #18.   

Great holes #3, #5, #6, #12, #14

Sean_A

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:52 PM »

B

You have described a course which is among the very best in the world.  Franklin is very good, but not all that  :D

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

BCowan

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 11:50:20 PM »

B

You have described a course which is among the very best in the world.  Franklin is very good, but not all that  :D

Ciao

S,

I stated 4 holes that where top notch.  I give FH an 8, with possibly a chance of being 9 with changes to 15 and 17 and tree removal.  Please provide where i said best in the world  ;)  Rob also stated his admiration of FH. 

B

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 04:48:24 AM »
B

Four world class holes is something quite special, then backed up with five great holes (not sure what that means to you, but great to me is damn special as well), to me would put FH in very rarified air.  You then say clear some trees and FH is a 9...which confirms you believe FH is in rarified air.  You are welcome to your opinion, but I think you have over-stated your case.  Just to impart some context, TOC doesn't have four all-world holes and five great backers, yet it does have an awesome back nine. 

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2014, 08:59:14 AM »
B

Four world class holes is something quite special, then backed up with five great holes (not sure what that means to you, but great to me is damn special as well), to me would put FH in very rarified air.  You then say clear some trees and FH is a 9...which confirms you believe FH is in rarified air.  You are welcome to your opinion, but I think you have over-stated your case.  Just to impart some context, TOC doesn't have four all-world holes and five great backers, yet it does have an awesome back nine. 

Ciao

S,

I said much more than clear some trees and FH is a 9.  I said currently it is an 8.  Having not played TOC, and the fact that it was just given a 10 would make me wonder how a course gets a 10 and doesn't have 4 All world holes?  It's just like how you criticized #7 at Inverness, which is considered All World by many.  One of a few holes to make it into ''Golf Never Failed Me Book''.  So this is turning into semantics. 

B

DFarron

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Sounds like a great trip, originally I am from Southfield. A little disappointed you didn't go to Buddy's though :'(

Mike Schott

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2014, 02:57:52 PM »
Sounds like a great trip, originally I am from Southfield. A little disappointed you didn't go to Buddy's though :'(

To tell the truth, Buddy's is not what it used to be. That or there are now other high quality choices. My local fave is Loui's in Hazel Park.

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 03:44:22 AM »
Southfield and Hazel Park for pizza?  Who knew there were such wing nuts about?  :)

Next time back in Detroit I would like to see a few of Barton Hills, Indianwood Old, Orchard Lake and a few others are on the list.  Is there pizza at these clubs?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:54:53 AM by Sean_A »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
If we're talking pizza in Detroit, Supino's has to be part of the conversation

Sean_A

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »
Does anyone know how far along the work at Birmingham is?  Also, have the trees near 8 green gone?

Ciao

BCowan

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62619.msg1490730.html#msg1490730

S,

Going to do a full photo tour later this summer and add to this one.  Hopefully some other Metro D tracks as well. 

I do enjoy re reading this thread with local recommendations with food and such. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:49:44 PM by Ben Cowan (Michigan) »

Sean_A

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2016, 08:18:00 AM »
Cheers Ben.  I forgot about that thread...very illuminating. 

BTW...there is pizza at Orchard Lake  :D

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:20:19 AM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »
Sean,

After a round at OLCC it is customary for me to eat at thee Red Coat Tavern down the street.  I'll be washing down that fine burger with a Skull Splitter Scotch Ale.   :P :)

Sean_A

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 08:55:02 AM »
Red Coat...yes...as I recall, very expensive burgers in a 70s Jimmy Hoffa type bar.  I like the bar more than the food...though the zip sauce was interesting.  If memory serves me correctly, a very handy place for Birmingham CC  ;)  Though, I am more inclined to head for Lafeyette for coney dogs...I can get burgers anywhere.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:57:15 AM by Sean_A »

BCowan

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2016, 09:13:37 AM »
$6.95 really breaks the bank.  I go to the one in West Bloom, haven't been to the original one in Royal Oak.  The burger is award winning.  You should give it another go  ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 10:11:06 AM »
Maybe we drank a bit..I recall a $60 bill for two  8)

Ciao

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
$6.95 really breaks the bank.  I go to the one in West Bloom, haven't been to the original one in Royal Oak.  The burger is award winning.  You should give it another go  ;)

That's kind of a half-truth, Ben.  $6.95 gets you a pretty naked burger.  Most people would add toppings, which adds cost.  Probably $10 or so by the time you're done.  Add in beers at $6-$7 a pop, and Sean's $60 sounds reasonable.

Plus to say you've been to RCT when you haven't been to the Royal Oak one is also a bit of a half-truth ;-)  Would be like someone saying they went to tOSU, when in fact they went to tOSU Mansfield.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back