News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken Moum

Re: Should The Ground Game Demand A Lower Ball Flight
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
True, but in my book there's nothing cheesier than switching balls to meet the shot demands. 

Bogey

Okay, but why is changing balls between holes any worse than changing clubs ON EVERY SHOT?

Seems like you, and the USGA, are drawing some pretty arbitrary lines.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 06:54:01 PM »
I think it is the apex of Treehouse tomfoolerly to blame equipment regulations for insufficiently firm conditions at a high-end private golf club. Really, guys, a little perspective is in order surely.

Were the fairways at Wexford overseeded?
If so, they would be well watered in mid October to get a start on germination.
It's not past the treehouse to expect static perfect(firm and fast) conditions at golf courses in all seasons.

except those don't exist unless you get UK temperature ranges and therefore grasses.(and a links course)
a lot of Supers would like to grow grass where the temperature rarely exceeded 70 F or dropped below 40.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:08:24 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:51 PM »
I think you have to play what is on offer.  Ideally, I don't think demanding a certain trajectory to bounce a ball in should be something supers seek to achieve.  Some guys may want to try to hit low sliders and some may want to try high bouncers.  I can't see why offering ground conditions to allow for either is a negative thing. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:29 AM »
We ran out of water for 1 week this summer right at the height of the heat wave. Our bentgrass fairways went dormant and the balls were rolling and rolling. Even after we had enough water to apply to fairways the supply was so limited that sprinklers weren't making anything soft. Not that we keep things soft generally - but these were rock hard conditions.

Our day to day players aren't that sophisticated - if you asked them what the ground game is they would probably say "oh thats when Ditika used to pound the ball up the middle against Greenbay". But it was interesting to hear a lot of the older guys say that they had a better chance against the younger longer hitters. And the younger guys were seeing more of their balls rolling off the fairway to out of play areas. Thats about all that changed really. I had widened the approaches last year and I haven't seen anyone play the shorter turf as a bump and run. Everyone still lofts the ball in.

Carl Johnson

Re: Should The Ground Game Demand A Lower Ball Flight New
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
True, but in my book there's nothing cheesier than switching balls to meet the shot demands.  

Bogey

Okay, but why is changing balls between holes any worse than changing clubs ON EVERY SHOT?

Seems like you, and the USGA, are drawing some pretty arbitrary lines.

K

As Ken makes clear, you may change balls from hole to hole, but not within a hole (with exceptions, at least, for a lost or damaged ball).  Several years ago I was playing an interclub match under "lift, clean and place."  My opponent took this as license to change balls between the lift and place.  He even pointed this out to me as a smart tactical move on his part.  I kept my mouth shut.

On the question at hand, I agree with those who've said you've got to factor in everything - ground conditions, slopes, green contours, wind, ball, club selection, how you strike it, luck and so on.  Ball flight is only one piece of the puzzle.  That being said, I addition to all of the "modern clubs" I carry, I also include in my bag two 1950s steel shafted Power Bilt "Citation" blades - 8 and 6 irons - specifically for "ground game" approaches when the circumstances call for a particularly lower approach (I also find that for me they work better from deep rough than the modern clubs).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 10:45:05 AM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back