News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Why on Earth don't we talk more abt Rockaway Hunting Club??!!
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 06:02:54 PM »
Someone posted a link of photos after the storm on another thread, and one shows RHC laying underwater.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ChipOat

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 07:10:23 PM »
Inwood and RHC both at/below sea level; RHC has surrounding homes that compound the drainage problem.

The greens always come back, but "through the green" often has standing salt water for several days.  If the sun comes out, goodbye grass.

Let us hope for a cloudy week.

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
Wow - I am impressed.  Jay, thanks for the pix.  Can you post more?

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 08:56:06 AM »
Being without power, I am limited to the droid, but I recently played there in a tournament and shot a bunch of pictures.  My good friend who is completing his first year as their professional has posted a couple pictures on facebook.  They now have a new aesthetic  addition--a boat is lying on the mound between the 6th green and the 15th fairway.  Everything is pretty much under water.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
I hope all those coastal clubs come out okay.  Seems like they were right in the line of the brunt of the storm...

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Any word on how the recovery is going?

A boat in the fairway? Yikes.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
http://met.pga.com/gui/metropolitan13/uploadedfiles/dups/HTMLpages/sandy.htm

Here's a look at Rockaway Hunt Club, Fishers Island, and various New York area pictures.

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
http://met.pga.com/gui/metropolitan13/uploadedfiles/dups/HTMLpages/sandy.htm

Here's a look at Rockaway Hunt Club, Fishers Island, and various New York area pictures.

Very sad to see the damage at RHC. That is really glaring with the boats strewn about. Wow!

ChipOat

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 08:47:34 PM »
I spoke to two RHC Board members today.  The pictures posted were taken by the Golf Professional on Monday before high tide and on Tuesday after the storm surge.

While Sandy was not a non-event for RHC, the damage to the course was actually less than that caused by Irene last year.  As in my previous post, the greens have always drained well and, without hot weather to bake in the salt water this time, the course will dry out without much turf "death".  Also, the power in the clubhouse is still 2-4 days away from coming back.

Getting rid of the boats that "came ashore" is a problem because, like the RHC clubhouse, the whole South Shore in that area is without 1) power, 2) gasoline, 3) water or 4) many places to buy food and 5) will remain that way for another couple of weeks.  While the flood waters have largely receded,  the debris that remains in the residential areas is a major obstacle.  The community of Long Beach was especially hard hit.

Worse, there is more than one home in the immediate RHC neighborhood that is likely to be a total loss after sitting in 5-8 feet of water.  Maximum storm surge was 17+ feet in some places.  Very sad. 

I'm curious about Inwood, which is hard by Jamaica Bay across from JFK Airport.  Like Fishers, they must have taken on plenty of water.

I know this is off topic, but the real problems are not with the golf courses in that area at this time.

B.Ross

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:13 AM »
i'm an inwood member and while we had some damage, nothing too severe that will damage the course or club for years to come.  i am more curious to hear how middlebay in oceanside and lido (public) in lido beach fared.

as for RHC, used to caddie there. very good course w/ a few too many non descript holes. 1 of my personal favorites is the long par 3 on the back over water, very challenging golf hole.

but my pure favorite there has to be 9 and would argue it's the best hole b/t any of the 6 private clubs in the 5 towns area. it's not the hardest (15 at inwood from the back tees is a 4 on the card but it's essentially a 4.5 every day) but it's just such an excellent hole sometimes its driver-3w sometimes its 3w-7i depending on the wind and the landing areas are tight too

corey miller

« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »

BROSS

When was the last time you played Rockaway?  I would be hard pressed to name the non-descript holes #10?......#9 is a fine hole but would argue it is highly overrated (best 100 in world list once) both compared to the "world" list as well as other holes at RHC.

Chip

I don't think I have heard an "official" response on this but was the addition of the added green space on #6 solely for putting or was it also designed to be used as an occasional back tee for #7 as it appeared to me on my last visit?

ChipOat

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
Corey,

Re: #6 green extension as possible back tee on #7.

I don't know the answer (will try to find out) but I hope that the new putting surface will be used for #6 hole locations only.  Unless there turns out to be flooding problems from the canal, the closer the hole can be cut to the water, the better.  Also, if used for a tee box, that are will have to be almost totally flat.  Not so interesting as a putting challenge if that's the case.

Hopefully, something will also be added to the right rough so that the second shot is not a safe bail out that also gives a better angle to a back left hole location.  I hope that deep rough is not the answer.  That is my THIRD pet peeve re: golf architecture.

B.Ross

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Corey - I'm not much a fan of 3, 10 or 16. as i think about the rest of the holes then, they do have all have character. if i remember correctly 10 and 11 are very similar.

last played there in the fall of 2009 in the 5 towns cup.

BROSS

When was the last time you played Rockaway?  I would be hard pressed to name the non-descript holes #10?......#9 is a fine hole but would argue it is highly overrated (best 100 in world list once) both compared to the "world" list as well as other holes at RHC.

Chip

I don't think I have heard an "official" response on this but was the addition of the added green space on #6 solely for putting or was it also designed to be used as an occasional back tee for #7 as it appeared to me on my last visit?

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:23 AM »
Played Rockaway yesterday.

The merits of the course are out there. Really great.

If you want FIRM AND FAST--go right here. The condition is about as good as it gets. Pretty awesome to see a course at sea level playing so great.

MS

Bill Crane

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:26 PM »
Rockaway is the featured club in the recent MET Golfer magazine ( link for online version - starts on page 58 ) :

http://www.metgolferdigital.com/i/371284/65

Worth reading. NOTE the author !

Also - note the bag that M McKinnon photographed at Rat and Plunger and all those Scottish venues he recently posted.

Wm Flynnfan
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 01:27:11 PM by Bill Crane »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 02:18:29 PM »
Thanks for bringing this thread forward. Would love to see Rockaway.
Tim Weiman

Tom Kelly

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
I came across this sweet drone video tour of Rockaway Hunt Club today. I played it once when I was in high school, but it sure didn't look like this!!! Why don't we talk about Rockaway Hunt Club more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPJXOC5bpSc&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
I came across this sweet drone video tour of Rockaway Hunt Club today. I played it once when I was in high school, but it sure didn't look like this!!! Why don't we talk about Rockaway Hunt Club more?

Wow! That tour was quite a treat. Lots to like, but what impressed me most is the place seems to have its own unique character, which is my favorite trait in a golf course.
Tim Weiman

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2016, 08:39:00 AM »
Tim - You nailed it.

What also has me keen to see it again is how the course deals with water. Looks like a lot of interesting shaping to aid the drainage on a flat, wet site.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »

A buddy of mine sent me this too.  Pretty cool.  I've only visited once but absolutely fell in love with the place.  It's the perfect retreat, and so close to the busy city.

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back