News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill McKinley

Yeamans Hall Club, Located in Hanahan South Carolina, just outside of historic Charleston, opened in 1925 and was designed by Seth Raynor.  The club was named after the original land owner Sir John Yeamans and started on the principles that it would be very nice winter retreat for northerners, mainly Metropolitan area golfers.  Initially when the club was founded, the idea was to have 36 holes with home sites available for the membership but for whatever reason, only 18 holes were constructed and there are very few homes on the very large property.  Raynor's initial design remains very much intact today thanks in large part to the membership's decision to commission our own Tom Doak's company in the late 1990's to restore a lot of the greens to their original state.

The vibe of the club is that it is a very private place and the members like to keep it that way.  But what I found when talking to employees and members during my visit is that it is very private, but it is also very laid back and low key.  Not up tight and stuffy at all!  The whole place just oozes southern charm.  

I arrived at the gate a little after 7:00 in the morning in mid October.  The gate is very cool, sorry the picture didn't come out too well but it was actually pretty dark still!  My man Daryl at the gate was extremely welcoming.  He being a former mid westerner, we chatted about a few things and then he gave me directions to the clubhouse.

After a wonderful winding drive on a narrow dirt road, your anticipation to play the golf course really goes up a notch when you drive across the first fairway and get a look at the amazing 1st green complex, then see beautiful Redan green of #6.  If you weren't excited to play YHC before, you definitely are now!  Then you arrive at a the clubhouse, locker room and golf house, all separate buildings.

I thought the locker room house was really cool...

The golf course plays to a par 70 from every set of tees.  It is at very low elevation as you can imagine in South Carolina "Low Country".  We were warned to play a 1/2 club more, but we still opted for the back tees which are called the Rust tees at Yeamans.  I will give yardages from the Rust and Yellow tees during the tour.

Rust: 6808
Yellow: 6494

After checking in at the golf shop and talking to some more very friendly folks, we were off to the practice range to hit a few balls, putts and be the first group off of the day!

Hole #1 Double Plateau. Par 4. 427/403

The first hole is a longish par 4 that is a gentle dogleg right.  The fairways at Yeamans are some of the widest I have played in the US and the 1st hole his no exception.  You just need to hit a solid tee shot that puts you in play because the first hole is all about your approach and putting!

Here's the 1st tee shot...

The approach plays over the entry road and the restored principles nose bunker, which isn't in play for many golfers.  But getting to the green is where all the fun starts!  As has been said before, no picture can do justice how much slope is in this magnificent green structure, but here's some pictures that will try to do it justice.  The back right hole location is one of the toughest.

#2 Leven. Par 4. 384/358

The 2nd hole begins with you recapping your experience on the first green.  Yeamans just recently hosted a Society of Seniors event just prior to my visit.  I'd really like to know the putting stats of those guys during the event.  It had to average over 2 putts per player.  Anyway, to the 2nd, it's a shortish dogleg left that definitely favors a right to left shot off the tee.  There are 3 bunkers down the right side that will make the proceedings very difficult if your tee shot happens to find one.

From the tee...

After hitting a good tee shot, the golfer is faced with an approach with most likely a short iron or wedge.  However, as is Raynor's nature, it's not just an easy shot.  The green is protected with a large, deep bunker on the left side.  Hole locations on the left, like when we played that day are tricky because the shot plays uphill and you cannot see the putting surface.  Also, you still are not sure how far the ball is flying this early in the round.  However, I did find this hole to be rather benign, especially being sandwiched between such standout holes as #1 and #3.

Here's the approach...

#3 Short.  Par 3 147/136

After you walk off the 2nd green to the left, the 3rd green comes into view and it is a special one.  The Short hole at Yeamans Hall is a great rendition.  The hole is almost completely encircled in bunkers and your depth perception is really thrown off by the lack of a backdrop behind the green.  The setting is tremendous with the low country marsh lands in the distance.  It is played on flat land, not downhill at all, unlike some other Shorts that I have played.

From the tee

Today's hole location was right inside the horseshoe or thumbprint feature on the green.  The photo doesn't do it justice because of the early morning light, but trust me you can see the horseshoe very clearly on the green when you play it.  Really cool!

Taken from behind the green, a beautiful wraparound bunker, that makes it very difficult for players to make 3 if their tee shot fails to find the putting surface.  Notice the bunkers are flat.  No easy uphill lies in these bunkers!  Shots do also get caught up in the big slopes by the greens, again making it tough for the player to get it up and down if their shot misses the generously sized green.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:05:30 PM by Bill McKinley »
2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-3 posted
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:26:50 AM »
#4 Bottle.  Par 4. 480/420

Right behind the 3rd green you will find the Rust tee box for the 4th hole.  It's a stout 480 yard par 4.  I believe the idea for creating this back tee was to help with the "bottle" nature of the hole, but if players are playing their proper tee box, the center bunker still doesn't come into play.  The tee shot plays out of a chute into a generous fairway.  It is a difficult one, only because you really feel like you have to bust it.

From the tee directly into the sun...

My pics of the approach didn't come out due to the morning sunlight, but the green is flanked by bunkers to the left and right while being open for run up shots.  But the false front and the spine down the center make the 4th hole one of the most difficult on the course.

From behind the green...

2016 Highlights:  Streamsong Blue (3/17); Streamsong Red (3/17); Charles River Club (5/16); The Country Club - Brookline (5/17); Myopia Hunt Club (5/17); Fishers Island Club (5/18); Aronomink GC (10/16); Pine Valley GC (10/17); Somerset Hills CC (10/18)

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-4 posted
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
#5 Alps.  Par 4 419/404

The 5th hole is a famous Raynor template of Preswick's 17th hole in Scotland.  This rendition is on completely flat terrain, but is a wonderful example of how good of a golf course architect Seth Raynor was.  The hole plays back towards the 1st green and really plays tricks with the whole way.

From the tee, you can't tell which bunker is in your landing area, to me, it looked like the squarish center bunker was in the landing area, but in fact it was about 360 from the tee I played.  Definitely not in my landing area!!

The approach really fun.  If you've managed to avoid the bunkers off the tee, you are faced with this look.  As you can see my drive finished well short of the center bunker...

A closer look at the approach reveals a wonderful trench bunker which completely gobbles up any shots hit short or with not enough carry.  Imagine trying to hit your 2nd shot over that bunker with 1930s equipment!!  I'm sure most players had to lay up short of it back in those days and try to get up and down with a pitch and a putt to try and make their par.

One final look back at a great designed golf hole...

Jim Colton

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-5 posted
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »
Bill,

Thanks for the tour. A round at Yeamans in September was one of the highlights of my year. This is truly one of those 'could play everyday' type courses.

A couple questions/observations (for the group):

- What was the evolution of the 1st green? Particularly, what did it look like before Tom/Jim got their hands on it?
- As you pointed out, the 5th hole is really difficult for the first timer. The shape and size of the mounding really mask how far each of the bunkers are, though your 2nd picture proves there is more than enough room. Unsure of what to do, I just aimed for the right rough!

Looking forward the rest of the tour. I played with my father-in-law (a Mac/Raynor virgin), and he still can't talking about our round here.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:33 AM »
Thanks for the tour Bill. Do you have any pictures of the Principal's Nose? Any thoughts on how it impacts play?

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
Great pics! It is a shame that you had an issue and couldnt show the false front on No 4. It may be open and invites the ground game but how do you get a ball to run all the way up that slope? Also the green on the Alps is absolutely huge. These greens play small due to the ridges in them. I love Yeamans and could play there everyday. Next up the Redan!

Bill McKinley

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 05:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the tour Bill. Do you have any pictures of the Principal's Nose? Any thoughts on how it impacts play?

Mark, I'll have to look through and see if I can find any good shots of the Principal's Nose bunker on #1.  But, as far as how it impacts play; it would block a players view to the green if their tee shot finds the left side of the fairway or left rough.  It also works as a "penal" bunker in that it will make bad shots much worse.  If you miss hit your approach, you could find the front or backside of it.  I will work on putting an aerial image of it on here, that shows it off the best.  Essentially the bunker is a grass mound with sand on the front slope of it and on the back slope of it.  Overall, my opinion of the bunker is that I'm glad it's there because it is a cool feature, but I don't believe it impacts play that much.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 05:13:16 PM »
#6 Redan. Par 3 190/182

The 6th hole is the second and most copied of all the template par 3s.  Playing from the proper yardage, you will play a long iron that will chase onto the green, a right to left shot is preferred, dare I say needed, to get the ball close to the hole.  The dominating features on this hole are the giant trench bunker on the front left of the green, almost covering the entire width of the green and the big kickboard mound on the extreme right side of the green.  For a player that draws the ball it is a comfortable shot, well as comfortable as a 4 or 5 iron would be for a lot of players.  But for the high number of players that fade the ball, it's a very tall order to get a shot onto this green.

From the tee, right into the sun again! You can also see the directional bunker well short of the green that confuses the players depth perception.

From the front right of the green, standing on the the kick board mound...

From left of the green, showcasing the deep trench bunker that will get a lot of action I'm sure...

From behind the green, the slope in the left of the picture looks softer than in person, but it's about 3/4 as high as the flag

Great hole and a really tough par!

Greg Gilson

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-6 posted
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 06:05:43 PM »
Bill, thank you for the great photos & commentary. I played YH about 20 years ago and had no idea then what a treat it was. I have just returned from experiencing Camargo & Shoreacres - that + your images make me keen to re-experience YH. I am back down there in April 2013 so i might investigate that. Thanks again.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »
RE: Redan...most copied by whom?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »

- What was the evolution of the 1st green? Particularly, what did it look like before Tom/Jim got their hands on it?

Jim:

A couple of years before Jim and I started working at Yeamans, the club had rebuilt the 1st green to USGA specs, presumably as a test for the other greens.  The left part of the green had been abandoned before that, so they only built the front right and back right parts of the green, and they made a very toned-down version of it.  I can't remember exactly what the area that used to be the front left looked like, but it had been flattened out.

So, when we went to rebuild all the greens, they didn't want to do the first green that they had just spent so much money on.  So we rebuilt 17 greens, all except the first.  And then about three years after we finished, they decided to rebuild the first green to match the rest, which actually took a couple of tries for everyone to be happy with.  [The first attempt was even more severe, if you can imagine that!]

That sixth hole is amazing.  When I played at Chicago Golf a couple of weeks ago, Mr. Shean volunteered that Chicago's Redan was the best he knew, and after thinking about it for a while, I said the one I liked best was Yeamans'.  He has never been there, but I think he's going to go now.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:05:22 PM »
I have only played The National once, so I think their Redan is very good.  I haven't played all the highly touted Redans by Raynor or McDonald, but of the Redans I have played Yeaman's is the best.  Somerset Hills could be the best, but the lower half of the left green needs fixing.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Bill McKinley

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:20:23 AM »
RE: Redan...most copied by whom?

I would say that Flynn, Tilly and maybe Ross also used the Redan template.  Also modern day architects like Silva and Nicklaus have used it as well.  I can't think of another template hole that is used more.  Can you?

Bill McKinley

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 07:22:03 PM »
#7 Road.  Par 4 435/428

The 7th hole at YHC is a long uphill par 4 that's tee box is located just beyond and to the right of the 6th green.  The driving area is very generous with the bunkers not really coming into play for a well struck tee shot.  But this hole plays plenty long, uphill all the way. 

The line off the tee is right over the left edge of the right fairway bunker.  If you're a little right of that, that is fine because approaches from the left will have to deal with the Road hole bunker.  Approaches from the center or right side of the fairway will be open to the green, but beware of missing to the right of the green due to the "Road."  A long, narrow bunker is on the right of the green at angle, that really does look like a dirt road!

From the tee right...

From the approach.  As you can see the road hole bunker on the left is menacing, but not in line with the flag for today's hole location

A look at the "road" feature to the left of the green.  That bunker is probably about 40-50 yards in length.  Probably the best "road" interpretation that I've seen outside of the real road at St. Andrews.  The only difference was I played a shot off the road at The Old Course and did not get that "experience" here at YHC.  ;D

From behind the green.  Again, a huge green!  Back left hole locations have to be really tough to get close to, but front left would probably the toughest on the entire green.

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-7 posted
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
#8 Creek. Par 4 426/411

The 8th hole is another really good par 4, and one of the reasons why I love to play Raynor courses so much.  The 8th is called Creek, after Goose Creek, locate behind the green, and I believe it is an original hole to Yeamans Hall.  You see, before I play a MacDonald or Raynor course I am always eager to see that version of the Redan or Short or Cape or whatever.  But then after playing, or during, it is great to see what "non template" hole jumped out at me.  Like the 12th (Channel) at Camargo, or the 18th (Colony House) at Mountain Lake or the 8th (Plateau) at Fox Chapel, Creek was a great hole from start to finish!

From the tee, a very generous landing zone but there's not a whole lot for the player to aim at.

Zoomed in from the approach, not much depth perception to help judge your shot.  The front hole location is relatively benign, but I imagine a back flag will be very tough to get to with that backdrop.

Close to the green that is not pushed up at all and the bunkers aren't too deep either, great setting!

Look back from the back part of the green.  Very clean!

One more, just because!

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-9 posted
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
#9 Long. Par 5 530/523

The 9th hole is a par 5 that's tee box has almost an island feel to it.  Directly behind you, you will find Goose Creek and expansive marshlands.  It's a very picturesque low country setting.  In front of the tee box is a small pond that you must carry for your tee shot.  It's not much of a carry at all, maybe 80 yards, but it does create kind of an isolated island tee box kind of feel.

The hole bends gently to the right and your tee shot should be played just inside a well placed fairway bunker on the left side of the fairway.  A good drive should leave longer players with a chance at going for the green in 2, but it would have to be two very good strikes.  Normally a 530 yard par 5 would be a length that I could reach with 2 good shots.  But, after a good tee shot, I was nowhere near in the go zone on the 9th at Yeamans.  More evidence that this golf course plays much longer than the 6800 yards on the scorecard.

Here's a look at the setting of the 9th tee...

View from the tee...

Charming little halfway house, complete with a fire pit in front and a great view of the low country...

Taken from just right of the well placed left side fairway bunker...

From the approach, about 60 yards from the green.  You definitely need to get your yardage right.  A pretty severe false front on this green and good deal of internal contours are present in this green.

This shot showcases the squared off false front to the 9th green...

The look back looks kind of tight, but I never got the impression of that when playing the hole

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-9 posted
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
#10 Cape. Par 4 365/347

The first hole of the 2nd nine is a short par for that has a dogleg to the right.  Unbeknownst to me, the 10th hole does start close to the clubhouse.  It's actually behind the clubhouse and hidden very well by trees.  I didn't have a great sense of where I was on the property after we finished #9, but I did notice that the 10th hole does run parallel to another hole but I wasn't sure what it was at the time, turns out it was #18.

Let me show the look from the tee and then we can talk about how the hole plays...

Being a Cape hole and a short par 4, I believed there was some merit for trying to go down the right hand side and carry the bunker on the right side of the fairway.  The hole sets you up for a left to right shot but in reality, I believe you want to hit a right to left shot, aiming at the fairway bunker and turning it away from there.  I believe this is the correct play because I hit my tee shot with a little fade, finishing over the middle of the right hand fairway bunker.  I was very happy with this shot off the tee.  My friend hit a good drive that I thought was going to be a little too far to the left, but in the fairway nonetheless, but it would leave him with too long of a shot into a tough green surrounded by deep bunkers.

But, to my surprise, my playing partner had a perfect angle into the green from about 110 yards, position A in my opinion.  My shot was closer, about 100 yards, but I had a wicked angle over a fairway bunker, with not much green to work with to get my shot close.  I did hit a good shot, but it found a big bowl in the middle of the green leaving me with a difficult two putt from about 30 feet.

My reason for this story is I was surprised to have a poor angle when I played the bold line on the Cape hole.  Maybe I'm wrong on this assessment but I didn't think that was the idea of a Cape hole.  My friend hit a good but safe drive and he had the easier shot of the two of us.  Do I think this means #10 is a bad hole? Absolutely not.  But I question why it would be called a Cape.  Help me out all!!

Anyway, here is the view from the front right of the green.  Deep bunker short and right of the green, also you can see the back right shelf that the hole is on.  The slope is probably about a foot high.

From behind the green looking back a the players left side of the green.  Again a deep, flat bunker will gobble up wayward approaches and make for a difficult up and down.

It's a shame I didn't get more pics of the green structure because it is a good one, but as you can see they were rolling the green at the time.  Oh well, next time!

#11 Maiden. Par 4 414/400

The 11th hole is a straightaway par 4 that uses the rolling terrain extremely well.

The tee shot is played to a generous fairway and unless you're playing from the wrong tees or you can bomb it off the tee, the right hand bunker that you see is not reachable.

A view of the hole taken from 17 green

Ok, so the right hand fairway bunker looked reachable to me from the tee but I hit a solid tee shot and noticed that it was definitely short of that bunker.  The reason for that is that there is a very big low area in the fairway that collects a lot of tee shots.  It leaves you with this look from the center of the fairway.

Awesome stuff!  You can see the flag right in the middle of the picture above.  My driver was just right of center and I could not see the flag at all, but my aiming point was the tallest tree in the background.  Coincidence?

The second shot obviously plays significantly uphill into a false front and this devilish little coffin bunker to the left of the green can ruin your score on this hole.

Very charming look back on Maiden.  A real treat to play!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:16:19 PM by Bill McKinley »

Brian Ross

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-11 posted
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
Bill, I thought I would supplement your excellent tour with a couple of the pictures you've lamented missing thus far.  Hope you don't mind!  Unfortunately, I also don't have a good picture of the principal's nose bunker on #1.  Here are a few others, though. 

Here is a good look at the "thumbprint" in the 3rd green.

Here is the 4th green from the fairway.

And here is the 4th from the left.  This gives a good perspective of the back to front slope.

Here is the 10th from the fairway just short of the green.  Pretty awesome green complex.

Here's a good look at the Maiden green at #11.

Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Bill McKinley

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
Great stuff Brian!!
Thanks for helping out. Love the pics of 10 &11 especially.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:38 PM »
"My reason for this story is I was surprised to have a poor angle when I played the bold line on the Cape hole.  Maybe I'm wrong on this assessment but I didn't think that was the idea of a Cape hole.  My friend hit a good but safe drive and he had the easier shot of the two of us.  Do I think this means #10 is a bad hole? Absolutely not.  But I question why it would be called a Cape.  Help me out all!!"

....interesting....maybe the 10th is actually a very rare "Cove" hole that many are unaware of! ;-)
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Bill McKinley

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »
#12 Narrows. Par 4 363/348

The 12th hole is a fairly straightforward short par 4.  The tee shot must avoid the fairway bunkers.  The left bunker can be carried with a well struck tee shot.  The right hand bunker is well placed, especially with today's left side hole location. 

From the tee...

You can see from the picture above that the 2nd shot plays up hill, but the green is very wide, and not too deep, especially by Yeamans standards.  Proper distance control is required on this green and you can see from the picture below that long is no good.  There is also a deep flat bunker fronting the green as well.  This picture taken from the right edge of the green illustrates how wide it is.

The look back...

I thought the 12th was more of a connector hole than anything else.  It does have an interesting green complex, like pretty much all the holes at Yeamans, set at angle to the golfer, but the wide, generally flat green, won't showcase the greenside hazards due to the fact that most players will be able to hit the green with a short iron or wedge.

#13 Eden.  Par 3 187/174

The 3rd of Raynor's template par 3s was playing a very long and burly 202 yards for us on the day we played it.  It was also into a breeze, but the breeze was blocked a little bit by the large trees behind the green.  The green again is very wide with 2 penal bunkers about 40 yards short of the green and green side bunkers left, right and long. 

From the tee...

The bunker behind the green is very attractive, while at the same time menacing to your score.  The green has some very good internal contours as well.  Very good and tough par 3.

From behind the green...

Bill McKinley

Re: Yeamans Hall Club - Photo Tour, with write up too :) 1-14 posted
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 06:12:58 PM »
#14 Knoll.  Par 4 412/394

The 14th hole at YHC is a straightaway par 4 with a fantastic green complex.  The ideal line off the tee is right over the center of the bunker you can see in the forefront of the picture below...

Hitting your tee shot on that line with give you a favorable line into this knoll green.  The fairway starts to run downhill and to the right.  This will complicate your 2nd shot if you really bust a drive, you'll then have a downhill, sidehill lie to a green that sits well above the two greenside bunkers.  The bunker on the left is really really deep, I would estimate about 10-15 feet below the putting surface.

Here's the view from the fairway. We had a fairly easy hole location on that day.  I would imagine a back-left spot would be awesome on this gigantic green

This shot from behind the green gives some perspective on how large this green is.

And zoomed in view showcases the rolling terrain in the fairway..

One more view from behind the green, looking at the golfers right greenside bunker.  Very nice

I found this hole very fun to play and definitely a standout hole on this marvelous golf course.  The size of the green and the surrounds make me think it would play differently almost every time you play it.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 11:15:39 PM »
Hey, Bill...just caught your question referencing my question. You answered it with hole #10...Cape. I think that, if a study were done, we'd find at least twice as many Cape holes in evidence as Redan holes. The reason might not satisfy purists: the Cape is sexy while the Redan is not, at least to contemporary owners. It seems that everyone wants a green tucked into a march, a pond, a wasteland, whereas a Redan is given its due respect only by those with a historical bent.

Feel free to dispute my assertion.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Jim Colton

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
Is the 8th a Hogs Back?

Bill McKinley

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
Jim,

The fairway on the 8th hole is just undulated more than anything.  There are a couple high spots, with the middle being one of them, but there's also a high spot on the right side.  There are just a couple swails in the fairway as opposed to a hogs back, even though I can see from the photo from the tee that it may seem like there is a hogs back.  Either way it's a great hole!

Stan,

I see where you're going there with the Cape and Redan comparison.  By that rationale, if the "definitions" are loose as to what a Cape hole is, then yes there would be many more Cape's than Redans, but if we're talking about templates or copies, then I still think there would be more Redan copies than anything else.  It's also tough to define where the original Cape hole came from, whereas we all know where the Redan originated.  Thanks for commenting, it is certainly an interesting debate!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back