News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

What an excellent array of bunkers of all interesting forms and placed in interesting angles.  The greens surrounds are quite intricate with mounds and close to putting surface bunker slopes.  But, the photos appear to suggest that the greens can't be mowed with a wider collar mostly due to those surrounds and bunker proximity, and that the chunk and run is the operative shot from just off the often appearing smallish greens.  It also appears (from photos) that Emmet was a clever fellow in only showing a sliver of some of the larger intricate bunkers, which seems quite deceptive and a real challenge for first time or infrequent players.  It is a pity you had a wet day.  This looks like a wonderful course to play every day as a club member.  It seems a real efficient routing and a very lovely walk.  Nice to see Mike C. on a few photos, and he looks in great shape. 
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Robert Emmons

15 has the cardiac hill climb, 16 has a green, triple the size of any other on the course with good cross bunkers, 17 is a new green built in '62 by Billy Mitchell. Mitchell who had nearby offices in East Norwich was brought in to look at a renovation of the course. His plans included removing the 14th green to make a 575 yard holefrom the 14th tee to the currant 15 green, a new par 3, and re-routing the 16th to a sharp dog leg right. We never did any of it...He built the currant second tee and 17 green only...17 was the last hole to be worked on during the restoation and all the cross bunkers were never put back as membership was getting tired of construction...Keegan Bradley who has been at the Club the last few days getting ready for the Barkley enjoys the character of the course...RHE

David Harshbarger

Cross posting this from the 2013 Emmet Society thread, where it may get more views as time goes on

Thank you to our hosts and Mark to having us out to a wonderful Emmet course.  103 years on this course continues to delight and challenge.

The thing I liked most about Huntington CC is how the holes speak through the ground contours as you see them from the tee then experience them on the course.  By this I mean each hole presents a strong look from the tee, sometimes expansive, sometimes rolling, a few times blind, but in each case engaging.  While the course has 150! bunkers, and they certainly help accent the story, it's the roll of the land that makes the story.

About those 150 bunkers.  The story is that Emmet, Emmet, and Tull reworked the 1910 design in 1929 to bring it up to date.  This was a renovation with hole changes, additions, reroutings.  The course in place today is largely this renovation, and this is from late in Emmet's career.  My feeling was that this is Emmet at his most evolved, though the historians can correct me.  There is just so much variety in the bunkers: pots, swirls, islands, a horseshoe, a donut, church pews, an "E", a vase, stair steps, footprints, minefields.  The bunkers are confident, present, in play, yet whimsical and playful.  

In form the bunkers are flatish  with grass faces. As you can imagine from the styles, the faces often wrap around in all directions, not just flush towards the tee and banked towards the green in the traditional "directional" mold.  This stylization is reflected in play as great variety in uphill, side hill, and downhill lies for balls in the bunker complexes.  Contrast this to the popular sand faced bunker, which is larger in area, but by funneling most shots off the sand faces into the bunker bases result in much less variety of recovery shots.

Huntington's greens are excellent. Why?  They work well through a tight coupling of 1.) green surfaces that extend out to 2.)surrounding perimeter features that are 3.) laid across/perched on/built into the topographic contours.

1.) the green surfaces are not "big" but are scaled well for the site and course.  In typical Emmet style most of the green surface challenges come from tilt, and subtle internal counters.  Tilt spans the compass, and on some holes is obfuscated through deception via juxtaposition: back-front tilt is exaggerated on 8 by building up a green pad on ground falling front to back.  On 15, the opposite occurs, as back to front tilt is "flattened" with an elongated green on a false flat following a long climb up from the fairway.

Most of the internal contours are subtle, or gentle, and are part of the green more than an extension of features outside the green.  Because the greens fill the footpads, and extend directly out to the perimeter features, the perimeter mounds are often reflected in sideboard type features at green edges.  However, unlike Ross at Sagamore, for instance, perimeter features are not used to bring spines or plateaus into the green. The green contours follow their own logic.

Interestingly, 13 and 14 present back to back tiered greens. I don't think of Emmet as a tiered green designer, but here there are two two-tiered greens in a row, very well done.  Interestingly, whereas most tiered greens I've seen divide the entire green into tiers,  both of these have the tiers come together on one side in a sloping section about 1/8th the green width.

2.) the surrounding perimeter features are excellent in variety and structure, and they are tightly connected to greens. Nowhere that I recall (other than at green entrances fronting crossing bunkers) was there an expanse of non-green between the green perimeter and features.  So if there are mounds at the green, the green runs upto or slightly onto their flank.  If there are drop-offs the green extends to the drop off point, which continues downward as rough.

The effect of this is that while the greens are smallish, they fill the space as defined by the perimeter features.  I think this is what gives them the feel of proper scale.

3.) Generally speaking, Emmet greens lay at grade, or at least start there.  At Huntington many greens are truly at grade, but others are built up on one side or another.  6 is cut into a side hill and built up with a drop off opposite the cut.  8 is built up on ground falling away. 7, the road hole, is set in relief with the bunkers the result of carving the green from the land.  15, one of my favorites, extends out along a point bounded by OB and a steep drop, but due to the false flat of the point, feels grounded, not isolated.

Finally, Huntington shows yet again that Emmet's work is sophisticated.  His work creates challenge and interest to the golfer.  And, I think importantly, Emmet's work reflects a unique sensibility, and Huntington represents a full realization of his sensibilities.

Mr. Emmons is too modest in what he has done to breathe life back into this Emmet creation.  This is living Emmet, and I encourage anyone interested in understanding the work of this master to visit Huntington CC.

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Mike Sweeney

Just played Huntington CC for the first time this week. I don't think I would change one word of David's commentary above. It was fabulous.

Sometimes the 2nd Tier courses on Long Island get ignored because that have no unique or "all world" holes. The 10-16 stretch as noted by Mark Chalfont is fabulous, here is #10:

and Joe's photo album is now here:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Huntington/index.html

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Tom_Doak

Mike:

I think that's #13 in your photo, not #10.  There's no bunker to the right of #10 green.

That was one of the only drawbacks of the course, actually ... hard to separate three long, uphill par-4's in one's memory.

Just played Huntington CC for the first time this week. I don't think I would change one word of David's commentary above. It was fabulous.

Sometimes the 2nd Tier courses on Long Island get ignored because that have no unique or "all world" holes. The 10-16 stretch as noted by Mark Chalfont is fabulous, here is #10:

and Joe's photo album is now here:

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/Huntington/index.html

Mike Sweeney

Mike:

I think that's #13 in your photo, not #10.  There's no bunker to the right of #10 green.

That was one of the only drawbacks of the course, actually ... hard to separate three long, uphill par-4's in one's memory.

Dang it, Doakey is correct. It was a small outing but we started on #5, and the "half-way house" is after #12, so my sequencing is screwed up.

What are the 3 long uphill par 4's? Seriously, I don't remember....
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Tom_Doak

Dang it, Doakey is correct. It was a small outing but we started on #5, and the "half-way house" is after #12, so my sequencing is screwed up.

What are the 3 long uphill par 4's? Seriously, I don't remember....

I don't remember, either.  To be fair, it's been a lot longer since I've been there.  #8 maybe?  It just seemed like there were a bunch of par-4's with uphill second shots.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

5, 13, and 16 are the uphill par 4's  And 15 is the dramatically uphill second shot reachable par 5. This is a great course, designed by Emmet, that is not well known, but deserves more recognition

Mike Sweeney

And 15 is the dramatically uphill second shot reachable par 5.

Agreed. The 7th hole which is crossed by the driveway, was also a really unique par 5 with one if the narrowest greens I have seen. Due to the format of the day, best drive of the group and then play your own ball, I really did not notice the green until I got there - left side.

It is a real hodge poge of green and bunkering styles which I personally really liked. Greens were in fantastic shape, especially considering the season. I hope to go back with a traditional day of golf. Emmet is underrated, imo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:10:25 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Robert Emmons

Glad you liked it...RHE

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back