News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ross Tuddenham

Re: Cabot Cliffs
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »
So it doesn't exactly look like a minimalist project does it?  The whole fairway in the photos and video looks to be shaped by machine.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 05:04:59 AM »
Ross, we rode and walked the area under construction.  That fairway will look very natural when it's grown in. Rod Whitman has a soft touch with the Cat.  The routing goes up into and back of the forest twice; that was one of the fairways headed back to the sea and I think some trees were cleared along the way. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »
Here's the story on Cabot Cliffs that ran today on Morning Drive:

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/golden-ticket-ginella-nova-scotia-coore-crenshaw-keiser/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Josh Tarble

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2013, 10:43:07 PM »
Thanks for posting Howard. That was a really good segment.

Man, for them to be saying it has a chance to be that good is something.

Will Lozier

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2013, 10:46:30 PM »
This is a really well done story...except: 1) The first shot of Highland is of carts on paths?!%$ with maybe one good shot of the course - poor showing where they really could have highlighted its uniqueness and done NS golf better, and 2) How many shots do I have to watch MG hit?!% (I was impressed with the beach shot)

Cheers

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2013, 08:00:50 AM »
Glenora Inn & Distillery...$7 tours!!!!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Gary Slatter

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2013, 03:03:53 PM »
For years PEI was the go to spot for a golfing vacation in Eastern Canada, I believe that Cape Breton is already challenging PEI if not surpassing it as a go to destination. With the addition of a Cabot Cliffs, game, set and match!

Don, I feel PEI will remain a superb golf destination because so many people need carts to play multiple days. However,  Cape Breton can also become the fantastic Bandon type of experience.  Together, they will make the Maritimes a superb golfing destination.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Don Hyslop

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »
For years PEI was the go to spot for a golfing vacation in Eastern Canada, I believe that Cape Breton is already challenging PEI if not surpassing it as a go to destination. With the addition of a Cabot Cliffs, game, set and match!

Don, I feel PEI will remain a superb golf destination because so many people need carts to play multiple days. However,  Cape Breton can also become the fantastic Bandon type of experience.  Together, they will make the Maritimes a superb golfing destination.

Another advantage PEI would have is the relative ease of getting from course to course but although it may be more difficult getting from place to place in Cape Breton, the scenic beauty in Cape Breton more than makes up for it.
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »
Any possibility of more great courses, if the first two prove successful? 

Robert Thompson

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
Jim: There is additional land, though Coore was told to simply use the best land for the second course.
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Paul Gray

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

Nice interview. Six par threes on one course seems like a colossal let down but if I had his talent I would maybe have a different perspective. Hope to make it up there someday.

This comment is a joke, right?  ???

If there are six par 3's then surely they'll be six par 5 as well, as everyone knows a golf course can't be any good if par is less than 72.  ::)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:09 AM »
I'll counter, respectfully, what Kelly Blake Moran says above with this: if the par three hole is demanding/challenging enough, thought-provoking, somewhat counter-intuitive, then the ability to select lie and tee ball offers a point of equilibrium for me. I don't disparage his support for broken ground, awkward and accidental lies.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Alex Miller

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »

Nice interview. Six par threes on one course seems like a colossal let down but if I had his talent I would maybe have a different perspective. Hope to make it up there someday.

If there are six par 3's then surely they'll be six par 5 as well, as everyone knows a golf course can't be any good if par is less than 72.  ::)

I like holes involving a tee shot and an approach shot. There is more strategy, more uncertainty, more opportunity for interesting recovery shots, just more interesting elements involved with playing the hole. A tee shot to the green allows you to pick a flat spot and tee your ball, not always the most interesting part of the game. Now if tees were not allowed or if the tee ground were broken like a fairway, or maybe you have the option to tee your ball if you net a par or better on the previous hole, net  a worse score and you must take a drop on the tee and play it as it lies, then the par three becomes more interesting. But to effectively have a tee shot to a green every third hole does not interest me as much as say a course with two or three holes requiring a tee shot to a green. I would rather have more approach shots to a green from varied lies, elevations, and the ability to improve my conditions for the approach shot based upon how I performed on the previous shot.

On the flip side, more par 3's often means more cliff-side golf (see: Pacific Dunes 10 & 11 and Cypress Point 15 & 16). Also if the end result is a more seamless routing with the 18 best holes, then I personally care very little about much else. To continue with the PD example, the back 9 there has 4 par 3's, but it might be the best 9 at the resort, in the state of Oregon. To see an abstract fact about the course as a "colossal let down" is like seeing a golf hole without bunkers surrounding fairway and green and saying that it must not be difficult.

I guess I have more of a wait-and-see approach...

Jim Colton

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2013, 07:07:08 PM »
Looks like there's a stretch of 3 par 3's in 4 holes? (4th, 6th, 7th)

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Looks like there's a stretch of 3 par 3's in 4 holes? (4th, 6th, 7th)

Jim,
Not in the final routing! :) They fall at 4, 6, 9, 12, 14 and 16.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2014, 02:34:16 PM »

Bingo.

Via Matt Ginella, who attended the Coore Crenshaw Cup at Bandon this week...

"Bill Coore was at Bandon this week & told me Cabot Cliffs (Nova Scotia) will have 6 par 3s, 6 par 4s & 6 par 5s."

https://twitter.com/MattGinellaGC/status/466644342082654208

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jud_T

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Wow!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Bowen

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:18 PM »
I've thought that 5-5-5 would be great as I've always had more fun playing 5's and 3's.  Leave it to C&C to go above in beyond.  Toppers!

Charlie Gallagher

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
Don't know if this has been covered, but will the 6,6,6 combination slow pace of play?
I actually think the balance is pretty neat. I know I've never played a championship course with that many 5's and 3's, and that few 4's.
You'd certainly think that the power player would be at huge advantage if the 5's are reachable in two.

George Pazin

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
Don't know if this has been covered, but will the 6,6,6 combination slow pace of play?
I actually think the balance is pretty neat. I know I've never played a championship course with that many 5's and 3's, and that few 4's.
You'd certainly think that the power player would be at huge advantage if the 5's are reachable in two.

No worries, Charlie, for the tourneys they will call them par 4s!

As for pace of play, I think that is far more player dependent than designation dependent.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ben Malach

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »
It is really cool to hear you are all excited about the golf course.  so far have loved the expirence of working on it the that for the three days that I have been on site. I hope to provide more in future posts but need to check over a few things first.
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Amol Yajnik

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »
View of the green on the par 3 16th hole from @jeffhutcheson on Twitter:

PCCraig

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2014, 05:04:22 PM »
Do we know for sure that Cliffs is opening in the summer of 2015?
H.P.S.

Robert Thompson

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:04 PM »
Yes, late summer. There were several holes already seeded when I was there last week, and only five or six left to complete.
Do we know for sure that Cliffs is opening in the summer of 2015?
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2014, 12:26:33 AM »
no delay from the recent hurricane/tropical storm?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back