News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #750 on: July 12, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
There tends to be an assumption of logic associated with Trump which ignores his personality.

Megalomaniac - - A megalomaniac is a pathological egotist, that is, someone with a psychological disorder with symptoms like delusions of grandeur and an obsession with power.

I don't buy that. Huge ego no doubt, but fundamentally a businessman. I know he's had plenty of failures along with his successes, but you don't have the career he's had if your decision making continually lacks logic.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #751 on: July 12, 2014, 09:28:17 AM »
Adam

In the last decade we've seen a national property market fall off the end of a cliff followed by a period of stagnation for seven years and yet in that time house prices in Aberdeen have near doubled which is quite staggering. I know he over valued what he thought he could get for the housing quite significantly but with the growth in house prices in recent years that shortfall will have reduced significantly.

My recollection of his planning consent is that there was a fair amount of holiday houses in the make up with limited occupation consent ie. not 12 months a year, although could be wrong about that. If I'm right that would be a tough sell as one golf course does not make a holiday destination, particularly in an area prone to north sea haar. And if I am right about the nature of the restriction on some of the occupation then that could make getting a mortgage quite difficult which would reduce the number of prospective buyers.

Another issue may be the terms of the s.75/s.69 agreements, which may quite onerous. There are rumblings about certain developers set to challenge local authority policies which if successful could open the flood gates for further appeals. Again depends on the terms of any agreement but feasibly they could be waiting for that.

All in all I expect that who ever develops the housing, and fairly sure it won't be Trump (Stewart Milne best bet), then I think they will be fairly keen to rework the planning consent with perhaps a kick back to Donald on basis of any improved terms. As for the hotel, no real idea why he might not have done that, other than funding might be difficult for that scale of development in such an outlying location.

I think we can safely assume one thing, and that is he'll be working out the best way of maximising profits with little regard for sentiment.

Niall

Jim Nugent

« Reply #752 on: July 12, 2014, 11:55:42 AM »
I read several months ago that the value of Trump's Scottish estate had skyrocketed.  Don't quote me on the figures, but something like from 4 million pounds to over a hundred. 

If so, he's probably done quite well with the project, and has his best golf course to date.  The rest of it, though, requires several billion (?) dollars of additional investment.  With the world and European economies stuck somewhere around neutral, does he really want to take that risk? 

He's a good businessman.  So it's hard for me to believe he would turn his back on the project, Don Quixote-like, if the dollars added up. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #753 on: July 12, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
Thomas, You don't need the BBC's high-tech gear to see the wind farms off the coast of Lancashire, the Wirral and North Wales. They are plainly visible to the naked eye. In fact. I'm surprised no big ship has yet hit a windmill, they are so profuse.

Niall C

« Reply #754 on: July 13, 2014, 08:42:44 AM »
Jim

Most of the figures reported seem to come from Trump himself and often are not only barely credible but contradictory. Don't believe everything that is reported.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #755 on: July 23, 2014, 04:14:57 PM »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:48:32 PM by Jon Wiggett »

Paul Gray

« Reply #756 on: July 23, 2014, 05:45:28 PM »
It would be nice, an excellent PR move, and completely unimaginable, if the World of golf would endorse the notion of pollutant free energy.

Here's hoping.....pointlessly.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #757 on: July 24, 2014, 02:18:12 AM »
"It is a disgrace that the Scottish government has recklessly disregarded the health and safety of the Blackdog residents"

The Man has no shame  ::)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 02:22:18 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #758 on: July 24, 2014, 07:32:29 AM »
Mark ships tend to stay in deep water and wind farms tend to avoid shipping lanes.

Nice to see Trumps sticking up for the locals...........
Cave Nil Vino

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/290974-nearly-200-jobs-face-axe-as-energy-giant-shuts-down-operations/

Energy giant shuts down offshore wind operations threatening 190 jobs
5 September 2014

A French energy giant has announced plans to shut down its Scottish offshore wind operations.

Nearly 200 jobs are facing the axe at Technip Offshore Wind, which is based at Westhill in Aberdeenshire.

The firm blamed a "highly capital-intensive" market and "disparities" in the renewable energy industry across Europe and the loss of 190 posts.

A Technip spokesman said: "Technip can confirm that it has undertaken a review of it's business in the offshore wind sector.

"Following this review the group is proposing that it's business unit Technip Offshore Wind will close following the completion of all projects.

"The proposal is subject to consultation with employee representatives before any final decision is taken."

A total of 74 jobs are at threat in Aberdeenshire, 23 in Gateshead, and 61 offshore. A further 32 contractors are in consultation with Technip.

The move raises further questions over the future of the European Offshore Wind Deployment Centre (EOWDC) at Aberdeen Bay.

Technip has confirmed it is no longer involved in the 11-turbine scheme, which received its marine license last week.

US tycoon Donald Trump has opposed plans for the development over the potential visual impact on his golf club in nearby Balmedie.

Green energy developers in the UK have often struggled to get political and financial backing for projects.

In March, industry body Scottish Renewables raised concerns over uncertainty in the offshore wind sector.

It warned: "Continued strong support from both the Scottish and UK governments is absolutely critical."

Swedish firm Vattenfall intends to sell its 75% interest in the EOWDC scheme, which has already been delayed by two years.

Aberdeen Renewable Energy Group, which has a 25% stake, has handed over operations to Aberdeen City Council.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2014, 11:41:16 AM »
What a pity.... :'(
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #761 on: October 21, 2014, 07:15:58 PM »
Probably the funniest interview I have ever read   :D

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/2014-11/donald-trump-interview

Paul Gray

« Reply #762 on: October 22, 2014, 05:10:12 AM »

Excellent. You can't make this stuff up.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Chris DeToro

« Reply #763 on: October 22, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
reading that interview is a great way to start the day

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #764 on: October 22, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »
Former Trump head greenkeeper John Bambury has just taken up a new role as courses manager at Ballybunion. I haven't heard yet who is replacing him in Aberdeen.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #765 on: October 22, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »
Former Trump head greenkeeper John Bambury has just taken up a new role as courses manager at Ballybunion. I haven't heard yet who is replacing him in Aberdeen.
Interesting.  Trump doesn't seem to have much success holding on to senior greenkeeping staff.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Greg Taylor

« Reply #766 on: October 22, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »

Excellent. You can't make this stuff up.

Bonkers - great interview for the wrong reasons!

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #767 on: October 22, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
Interesting.  Trump doesn't seem to have much success holding on to senior greenkeeping staff.

Maybe it was the ryegrass that did for him in the end ;)

Jon

Jim Nugent

« Reply #768 on: October 22, 2014, 08:42:19 AM »
Trump often comes across as a buffoon, and that interview (as much as I could stomach reading) is no exception.  Even so, this thread has run over 30 pages... showing he has accomplished a lot of what he set out to, even here on GCA. 

Chris DeToro

« Reply #769 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:24 AM »
I honestly thought this interview was a prank for sorts for a minute

Paul Gray

« Reply #770 on: October 22, 2014, 06:24:32 PM »
Trump often comes across as a buffoon, and that interview (as much as I could stomach reading) is no exception.  Even so, this thread has run over 30 pages... showing he has accomplished a lot of what he set out to, even here on GCA. 

I was thinking much the same. Then again, the old 'any publicity is good publicity' argument is rarely employed by anyone that has managed to win the debate.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:49 AM »
Not another penny will be spent .....

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/news/local/donald-trump-set-to-submit-plans-for-2-750-new-properties-near-golf-course-1.856610

Donald Trump set to submit plans for 2,750 new properties near golf course
BY DAVID EWEN, 27 MAR 2015

DONALD Trump was today set to submit fresh plans for nearly 3,000 properties at his North-east estate.

The American tycoon has filed a proposal of application notice (PAN) for 850 homes and 1,900 holiday units – an increase of 1,300 on current approved plans.

The notice relates to permission in principle for his Menie Estate, near Balmedie, where he has an 18-hole golf course.

The Trump Organisation already has approval for 950 holiday homes and 500 houses at the site.

George Sorial, executive vice-president of the Trump Organisation, said his boss was determined to build on the early success of the golf course and deliver a promised resort and homes.

PANs are required to alert communities to major applications so they have a chance to air any concerns at an early stage.

A PAN must be tabled at least 12 weeks ahead of a plan being submitted.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »
Brian,

what do you mean with not another penny? I understood they were planning to build the 2nd course. Re: housing. I wonder if the plan includes the required number of affordable housing  ;)

Jon

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
Brian,
what do you mean with not another penny?

The words of Mr Trump Snr. and Jnr. when they did not get their way, on the planning permission for wind turbines.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #774 on: March 27, 2015, 02:44:14 PM »
Yes, I just read an article in the P&J which pretty much says the same.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back