News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank M

Whirlpool Golf Course is IMO one of the best city owned courses in Canada. With a solid set of par 5s, some interesting par 4s, and a decent collection of par 3's, there was enough to keep this golfer entertained and wanting to go back and play again. The land has some gentle movement and enough elevation change to keep things interesting and the course takes advantage of a few ridges that run through the property very well.

Off the top of my head there are not too many public Stanley Thompson courses in Ontario and this fact alone makes the course well worth visiting if in the Niagara area. In fact, it is probably one of the better public's in the Niagara/Buffalo region.  

(I apologize, but the setting sun made it very difficult to capture some photos)

Hole 1

Hole 2

Hole 3

Hole 4

Hole 5

Hole 6

Hole 7

Hole 8

Hole 9

Hole 10

Hole 11

Hole 12

Hole 13

Hole 14

Hole 15

Hole 16

Hole 17

Hole 18

Matt Bosela

Re: Pictorial: Whirlpool Golf Course (Stanley Thompson) All 18 posted
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
When were you in Niagara Frank?

How was the conditioning out there?  The Niagara Parks Commission, which operates Whirlpool, has had major cutbacks in recent years and the conditioning was a major problem when I was there last.

I hear things are starting to bounce back a bit this year, which is good news.

Frank M

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:28 AM »
Matt: About a week ago. Conditions were overall good. There are some rough parts but most of them are under repair...no issues which effect play though.

I said it in my other thread, but let me know when you can get out for a round sometime either in Niagara, Toronto or between.

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:18:02 AM »
I played here today for the first time in several years, visiting my parents in WNY and drove over after seeing these pictures. What a lovely golf course, it's always been one of my favorites and arguably the best public within 30 miles of Buffalo. It's one of those courses that you get done on 18 and you just want to head straight back to the first tee and play again. The artful bunkering and just the right amount of slope on the fairways does it for me. Right now the conditions are very good. The rough is moderate (some burned out areas but some healthy spots too), the fairways are a bit thin, but the bunkers and greens are very good. There aren't a whole lot of throwaway holes or spectacular holes, just a bunch of very solid ones. My only complaint is 4 of the 5 par 3's are all 200+, I'm close to scratch and they're still too much for me. I hit hybrid from the gold tees on 3 of them. That being said, it's balanced by some scoring opportunities in other places.

I spoke to the pro and they are working with the government to get the prices reduced some at Whirlpool and the Legends complex.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:59 AM »
When I was in school, a trip to Whirlpool was an annual trek to a "good golf course" with my dad.  There's a special place in my heart for Whirlpool, and I remember it as a very good golf course.

Guilty pleasure - we used to cross the street by the 18th tee and tee it up - try to see who can it it the furthest out over the Niagara gorge.  The balls seemed to fly forever :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back