News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Pictorial: Irondequoit Country Club (Donald Ross) All 18 posted
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:36 AM »
Tim,

The Ross that jumps out of these photos for me is the use of the terrain in the routing.  The first hole right off the bat, looks like the reverse version of the 7th at Westhampton (CCV).  Hole 6 is probably the same green I have seen a dozen times throughout the mid-atlantic.

Lester

Very pithy and articulate, as usual, Mr. George.

The second hole, which looks like a Spion Kop rendition, might be the finest example I've seen and it is a stunning use of the available terrain within a great routing.

Overall, it looks like a great place to play as a member and it would be measurably better if they went out and created about 1000 stumps.  Great bones, no doubt about it, but way too much forested fat around it which obscures its greatness, at least on photos, which I acknowledge isn't the best way to make such a judgment.  Thanks, Frank, for a terrific peek at a pretty neat place.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:46:03 AM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

JNC Lyon

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
Tim,

The Ross that jumps out of these photos for me is the use of the terrain in the routing.  The first hole right off the bat, looks like the reverse version of the 7th at Westhampton (CCV).  Hole 6 is probably the same green I have seen a dozen times throughout the mid-atlantic.

Lester

Very pithy and articulate, as usual, Mr. George.

The second hole, which looks like a Spion Kop rendition, might be the finest example I've seen and it is a stunning use of the available terrain within a great routing.

Overall, it looks like a great place to play as a member and it would be measurably better if they went out and created about 1000 stumps.  Great bones, no doubt about it, but way too much forested fat around it which obscures its greatness, at least on photos, which I acknowledge isn't the best way to make such a judgment.  Thanks, Frank, for a terrific peek at a pretty neat place.

The trees are not great at Irondequoit, but they aren't terrible either.  Tree maintenance and removal would improve pretty much every golf course in Upstate New York, no exceptions.

Bogey, put in a good word for me.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 12:35:41 AM »
John,

How would you compare Irondequoit to, say, Schuylkill?  The terrain looks slightly different here.  When I see these pictures, I think of Mid Pines and a little of Plainfield, but less so of Aronimink.  Just a gut feeling. 

I am not looking for the typical Raters BS, but just your thoughts on the two. 

And, if you can't tell me about Schuykill, then McKeever's got some 'splainin to do. 

I've played both more than a few times, and to me the most comparable course in the Philadelphia area to Irondequoit in my opinion is Gulph Mills. Very similar terrain, even some similar holes (6 at ICC = 4 at GMGC, 13 ICC = 3 GMGC minus the huge centerline bunker, 12 ICC = mirror image of 8 GMGC, etc).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back