News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

Re: The Bonfire of the Vanities
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 10:52:25 PM »
We have a modern day Savonarolo among us. This chap wanted to outlaw all sorts of goodies of every day life.

The focus of this destruction was nominally on objects that might tempt one to sin, including vanity items such as mirrors, cosmetics, fine dresses, paintings, playing cards, and even musical instruments. Other targets included books that were deemed to be immoral, such as works by Boccaccio, and manuscripts of secular songs, as well as artworks, including paintings and sculpture.

Now comes a new zealot ranting about the perils of golf carts, range finders, cart tracks, booklets and sprinklers  marked with yardages.
His use of Broad band takes up more space than any fifty of any of other member of GCA and although amusing for the vehemence it provides,  should be curtailed.

Bob

Sir Bob, that sounds so much classier than my opinion: he should just shut the F*%* up...
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »
You all win.  He is now a guest.

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
You all win.  He is now a guest.

Mac,

I am surprised that you feel that this is a wining situation for anyone. The person who is now a guest alienated a good many people on this site by constantly high- jacking threads to pursue his own agenda. If it was not apparent to you, then I suggest you read carefully every post that was made by the guest, it became offensive and repetitive.

Bob

RJ_Daley

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:10 AM »
So we have type cast this zealot of golf vanities as our modern day Scotish Savonarola?  We might as well make a sequel while we are at it.  I assume this is a sequel of the movie or book, "The Agony and the Ecstasy".  

We need to find more modern day characters to play the proper role.  Well it is set in the Renaissance, and we do have an artist who calls his firm, that.  So Tom gets to be Buonarotti?  Sir Bob, with all your munificent offers of sharing the CPC, MPCC Cistine Chapel of golf, you surely are Lorenzo.  Then again, the benevolent dictator or the fellow that benevolently runs our little cyber world, must be Machiavellian and role to be played by Ran.  TEP, you'd make a good Benvenuto Cellini with all the escapes of your jaunt through life.  I'm afraid I might have to place your two nemeses and detractors of Merion epic in the Borgia family.  WE may have to get Vinnie Kmetz to write this all up in the Irving Stone tradition.  Although we all know Jay Flemma is salivating to write this 'Agony and Ecstasy' modern reprise episode, after he finishes "Name that Rose" part due.

So anywho... Michelangelo said this about 'Love' and his long love suffering for a "him!"?
But it may express more about my feeling towards my golf game (no pun or correlation intended)

A goiter it seems I got from this backward craning (backswing)
like the cats get there in Lombardy, or wherever
—bad water, they say, from lapping their fetid river.
My belly, tugged under my chin, 's all out of whack. (my putting)
     Beard points like a finger at heaven. Near the back
of my neck, skull scrapes where a hunchback's lump would be. (I'm past parallel at the top)
I'm pigeon-breasted, a harpy! Face dribbled—see?— (golf whore)
like a Byzantine floor, mosaic. From all this straining
     my guts and my hambones tangle, pretty near. (I loose a lot of skins)
Thank God I can swivel my butt about for ballast.  
Feet are out of sight; they just scuffle around, erratic. ( once in a while I do hit it good - just not too pretty)
     Up front my hide's tight elastic; in the rear
it's slack and droopy, except where crimps have callused.
I'm bent like a bow, half-round, type Asiatic.  (I'm getting old and golf has become a painful obsession)
     Not odd that what's on my mind,
when expressed, comes out weird, jumbled. Don't berate; (I commiserate with my golf friends at 19th hole)
no gun with its barrel screwy can shoot straight.  ( Can I really expect to hit it true with all these swing thoughts contorting my mind?)
     Giovanni, come agitate
for my pride, my poor dead art! I don't belong!  (alright, who wants to play johnny?)
Who's a painter?    (golfer)  Me? No way! They've got me wrong!

At which point Lorenzo observed:

Quant’è bella giovinezza

che si fugge tuttavia!

Chi vuol esser lieto, sia:

(that one is for Pietro Pallotta)  ;) ;D 8)

Ciao

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:46:39 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:06 AM »
I never thought that I would see something like this on this site. Hounding and bullying someone just because you do not agree with their point of view. This thread should put all of us involved in GCA to shame.  :'(

Jon

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 03:32:25 AM »
Gentlemen,

As you all probably know I am a Scottish/Aussie twat and have been glancing, sometimes perusing and oft times reading all the past threads. I am on page 350 having started at page 971. At fifty threads to the page that is nigh on 31000 threads.
As far as I can make out this thread represents Golf Club Atlas' nadir.

Yours Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:57 AM »
Colin,

You are quite right. Melvyn represents the nadir (and Bob Huntley the apogee) of this site. Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 08:11:15 AM »
Melvin is just another poster who needed to put down the bottle and step back from the keyboard.  He certainly wasn't the first and he won't be the last. Over the years some have come back and others just made their own private lounges.

After over 10 years and 1500 or so registered users there have been maybe less than 20 users that needed to be booted or leave, a pretty good record for an Internet forum.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 08:18:35 AM by Craig Edgmand »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »
Colin,

You are quite right. Melvyn represents the nadir (and Bob Huntley the apogee) of this site. Thanks, I couldn't have said it better.

Of course Colin's implication was the opposite of your statement. Don't you do logic?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17:00 PM »
This would be the thread I was referring to with my comment on the other thread.  :P

May the proverbial basement of all golf course architecture related discussion heretofore be elevated.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

TEPaul

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2012, 12:22:04 PM »
Garland Bayley:

Are you sure? What if Colin's implication was in agreement with Bob Huntley's initial message on this thread?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2012, 12:46:47 PM »
I'm sure.

But only Colin can verify.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Kelly

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
I never thought that I would see something like this on this site. Hounding and bullying someone just because you do not agree with their point of view.

Wait, you mean you never saw Morrow's posts?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »
I never thought that I would see something like this on this site. Hounding and bullying someone just because you do not agree with their point of view.

Dan, you may be right but can you name anyone else on here who was systematically ganged up on by certain parties regardless of what was written or the tone? Also, name the person/people who have felt compelled to leave this forum on account of Mr. Morrow's posts?

That is the point I am trying to make.

Jon

David Kelly

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2012, 06:38:43 PM »

Dan, you may be right but can you name anyone else on here who was systematically ganged up on by certain parties regardless of what was written or the tone? Also, name the person/people who have felt compelled to leave this forum on account of Mr. Morrow's posts?

Jon,
Ran may have a solution. Let the guy write In My Opinion pieces with no comments section and people can read them or not. I won't as I believe I got the gist of his arguments the first 5,000 times I read them.

Also my name isn't Dan.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Maybe David, though I would have thought Ran's reaction should give some people food for thought.

Sorry about the name David, don't know where that came from except its late and its probably  pumkin time.

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back