News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom Yost

My interpretation:  The neighbors preferred the former look - wall-to-wall grass and pine tree motif.

Matthew Petersen

My interpretation:  The neighbors preferred the former look - wall-to-wall grass and pine tree motif.

That seems to be a lot of it, especially the complaints about "weeds." It's really nothing more than your typical high grass (not "native" here, but whatever) plus a lot of flower plantings.

I am sure that sort of addition, as opposed to the wall-to-wall grass that was there previously, does lead to more critters of all shapes and sizes. Some of that will be regulated, I would think, as they start to control the "native" a bit more.

When the course opened, the tall grass areas were automatic lost balls--extremely thick and long. I doubt very much that's the long-term goal for those areas; I suspect it's just thick as they try to get everything established. Assuming they start to cut back, thin, and otherwise control those areas, many of the critters will again go looking for more hospitable locations.

Forrest Richardson

Tom — I do not think that is correct. The neighbors were very enthused about a return to nature, getting rid of so much grass and the dying trees. The issue appears to be the seasonal change in the "native" grasses here, and also the effect that watering has on these plants. It makes them grow well beyond there "natural" heights and density, but it certainly greens them up. Balance…it appears difficult to attain in this situation. Also, FYI, many of the plants are not indigenous, but they can survive here with extra water.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back