News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Has anyone ever changed their mind?
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:51:25 PM »
And another question I just thought of. Of the ones you rated lowly, how many have you been back to to see if they really were that bad ?

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »
Thanks again, gents. Interesting that many of the courses you've mentioned went UP in your estimation (as in Tom D's experience with courses he'd later rate higher than he orginally did).  I'm not sure that's my experience, which is sort of a a shame -- it's much more pleasant if/when familiarity breeds appreciation and not contempt.

Peter

Pietro

You find it the norm to be passionate about courses to only later be less passionate about them?  This seems a strange thing to happen anywhere near often.  If I may, what was it about a few of the courses which caused you to be less passionate about them?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Ingraham

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 03:45:42 PM »
Today I have a much higher opinion of Bandon Trails than I did when I walked off the 18th green last August.  I am fairly positive my initial negative thoughts were a direct result of getting my ass kicked on 14, 15, and 18.  As I have thought more about the courses, Trails is now only behind Pacific Dunes in my mind.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 04:29:54 PM »
Sean - I hope I didn't throw anyone off by using passionate; I meant it only to add nuance to "strongly", and to indicate first hand and personal experience with a course.  And yes, when I set aside the simple modest courses that I'm fond of simply and solely because they are golf courses, I find that repeated plays on several courses that I once thought very highly off has change my mind, “downward”.  I don’t want to name names right now, but the courses I have in mind all have good architectural pedigree, an absence of the more show-boating/grosser elements of modern day, big money construction, and more than a semblance of the golden age style/ethos.   And yet, as time goes by and as I play the courses again (for the 3rd or 4th times), I’m finding them to be  ‘pretenders’ for lack of a better word, lighter on interest and strategy and playability and fun and even natural charms than I first thought, than their own brand of “signifiers” and bells and whistles had me believing.
Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back