News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: ANGC-2 questions-maintenance $ per year & rounds per year?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
JM,

If ANGC really wanted to be a role model, why wouldn't they create a good looking golf course and then say we did it and only spent X amount of dollars.  That would be truly impressive to innovate how to maintain a course on a limited budget, and they actually could afford to try different methods and still recover if it doesn't work out.

Not to pile on Kalen, but this section is a real head scratcher to me. How is it they would recover if something didn't work out?

Do you mean kick Rommetty out of the club if she gets fired from IBM?

Have you looked at a recent aerial of the place?

By my count that have 4 maintenance yards and dozens of acres of practice areas.  Its a fantastic place to try out new techniques on maintaining different type of grasses, varying watering techniques and frequency of application, fertilizers variants in varying application sizes, mowing habits, etc, etc, etc.  They could try out something new on the par 3 course and see how well it holds up under play, before moving it to the big course.  

How many golf courses around the country have the kinds of resources and space to do this type of work?  Think of the innovations they could create or the processes they could refine?  Now that's doing something for the good of the game.

As Mike Cirba hinted at just today, we all stand on the shoulders of the innovators/dreamers/creators of yester-year who have come before us and we all owe them a debt of gratitude.  Clearly life has smiled brightly on the green jackets....why not offer something back in the form or real innovations to the future of the game and how its brought to the masses?

P.S. Pile on guys, even I'm surprised by the number of IMs i'm getting in support of my viewpoints.  There are lots of people out there who feel the same way I do, but don't want to ruin their chances of being invited to ANGC.  ;)  As for me, I would gladly wish they send me an invite...I'd turn em down flat!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:32:50 PM by Kalen Braley »

JESII

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »
That's like asking Apple to create and commit the strategy to selling a device that plays music on tape for $4.99...it's not what they do.

It's up to you and I (and all the brilliant superintendent's out there) to figure out how to maintain a golf course as close to Augusta as we can for fractions of the price.

They do The Masters!

Steve Salmen

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
I have been told Pine Valley's number of rounds and maintenance budget.  Two member friends said they get 30,000 rounds per year.  It's very busy.  The budget is high but would not surprise anyone based on the quality of the course.

As for Augusta and their budget, they are probably on the cutting edge of maintenance and share a lot of information with the USGA, who probably passes it on to other courses.  This is speculation.

JMEvensky

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

P.S. Pile on guys, even I'm surprised by the number of IMs i'm getting in support of my viewpoints.  There are lots of people out there who feel the same way I do, but don't want to ruin their chances of being invited to ANGC.  ;)  As for me, I would gladly wish they send me an invite...I'd turn em down flat!!!  ;D

Yeah,it's pretty smart that those guys are keeping a low profile.One can never be too careful when there's a chance of jeopardizing one's trip to ANGC.You're a true friend for giving them cover.

KB,my understanding is that ANGC and their Super are very generous with sharing non-budget information.At least,that's what a couple of local Supers have told me--each of whom spent time volunteering at the Masters.

JESII

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
Do people seriously send IM's in support of positions on here?

Do they fold them up real nice, seal them with a kiss and pass them through two or three other 5th graders to you?

As Shivas would say in her best legalese...GMAFB!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 06:55:16 PM by Jim Sullivan »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 07:02:32 PM »
JM,

That's good to hear, I'm glad they are doing that as it pertains to the supers.  I would gladly love to eat crow on my viewpoints on ANGC and be completely wrong because then that would mean they're being good citizens.

Jim,

I'm kind of disappointed if they normally include kisses and folded up all nice.  The ones I get are just plain vanilla...I guess I'm missing out!!  ;)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 07:19:59 PM »
I think knowledge of their budget would help put the conversation in perspective when a member asks his superintendent of greens chairman why their course isn't up to Augusta's standard.

Pat you suggested that the total rounds might be a multiple of 3,000...do you think they do more than 10,000 rounds?

Around 6-9 K would be my guess.

With a 7 month season, 210 days, 10,000 rounds would be a little less than 50 per day.

JLahrman

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:01 PM »
Do people seriously send IM's in support of positions on here?

Do they fold them up real nice, seal them with a kiss and pass them through two or three other 5th graders to you?

As Shivas would say in her best legalese...GMAFB!

I got a compliment on a picture of my new daughter that I posted. One compliment on my profile pic (advocating for shelter animals). One compliment on a particularly on a witty remark that I made. A few IMs to smooth things over after a thread got testy.

But none to offer me silent support of a position that I took.

Back to this topic...the worst part about this thread is that Kalen's comments are forcing me to actually agree with Pat Mucci on something. Oh the horror.

JESII

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:02 PM »
Amen to that!

TEP used to say Pat was a 2%er which seems about right.

jeffwarne

« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »
Amen to that!

I'm going to concede that Kalen is right on this one because the evidence is clearly in his favor.
The envelope please with the top 5 reasons why he's right on.

5. He's never been there
4. He doesn't watch it on TV
3. the condition of the course is excellent so they must be "wasteful" despite the fact he has no knowledge of their budget.
(If it turned out it was lower than Sand Hills and they were using slave labor would that make it better?) ::) ::)
2.ANGC doesn't have a softball field and with the resources they have not to have a softball field is unacceptable and frankly even more "wasteful"
 and the best and most important reason.................wait for it................
1. I've gotten ZERO instant messages in support of my "position" ;D ;D ;D :-[ :-[ :-[ ;) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
cue the Letterman music

What's next, boycotting the NBA finals because they exclude women and white players and the courts and stadiums are too well maintained so they must be wasteful?

What's most ironic is that I tend to preach here about the trend of overly fast greens and I hate super white bunkers!!!!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 08:21:07 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »
Jeff

5)  You're absolutely right!
4)  Absolutely wrong.  Up until this year, I've watched it every year now for more than I can count.  This was my 1st "protest" year, which will remain the same for next year and into the future until they have a woman member.
3)  Wrong again, we have lots of 1st hand experience from guys like Ben and Pat who have already conceded that the budget is too big to even begin trying to count.
2)  While I think it would be interesting, I never advocated a softball field specifically for ANGC.  (Although it looks like they could easily build one next door with all that new land they have).  :)
1)  I got you beat on this one for sure!!  ;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:27 PM »
Jeff

5)  You're absolutely right!
4)  Absolutely wrong.  Up until this year, I've watched it every year now for more than I can count.  This was my 1st "protest" year, which will remain the same for next year and into the future until they have a woman member.
3)  Wrong again, we have lots of 1st hand experience from guys like Ben and Pat who have already conceded that the budget is too big to even begin trying to count.
2)  While I think it would be interesting, I never advocated a softball field specifically for ANGC.  (Although it looks like they could easily build one next door with all that new land they have).  :)
1)  I got you beat on this one for sure!!  ;D

OK guilty pleasure

I think having a softball field would be pretty cool ;D ;D ;D
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kalen Braley

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »
I love me some softball too.....

This was a fun conversation guys, even though I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Just one last further point of clarification.  I wish no ill will toward ANGC...I think the Masters is a great championship.  And in the words of the Army commercials, my only hope is that the green jackets would "be all they can be", and more importantly be the men their mothers certainly raised them and hoped them to be.

With that, I've spoken my peace on Augusta...

jeffwarne

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
I love me some softball too.....

This was a fun conversation guys, even though I suspect we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Just one last further point of clarification.  I wish no ill will toward ANGC...I think the Masters is a great championship.  And in the words of the Army commercials, my only hope is that the green jackets would "be all they can be", and more importantly be the men their mothers certainly raised them and hoped them to be.

With that, I've spoken my peace on Augusta...

Kalen,
Now that it's over, do I have to shake hands with my mother before I can give you a hug?
or do I have my threads mixed up ;D ;D ;D ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »
Amen to that!

I feel your pain  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 04:35:54 PM »
Jeff,

I was away for a few days...

I'll take hugs from you any day of the week!!   8)

Joe Byrnes

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2012, 12:30:06 AM »
For two pretty straightforward questions you guys got some pretty good tangents going!

A great read on a rainy afternoon, thanks for the entertainment!  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back