News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jaeger Kovich

Has anyone been there to see how much of the Banks, Macdonald and Raynor is left?

Just was reading in George's book as I played the current DGC today and now I am interested in seeing what is across the LIE at what is now called Lake Success Golf Club, which appears it may be part of The Village Club residential development, for the few holes, and maybe clubhouse that may still exist. The original Deepdale Golf Club was developed by part of the Vanderbilt family, a second club to many members of National and many other early Hamptons clubs. Only 30 minutes (at todays speeds) from Manhattan, it was (and is for the current location) a second club for most. Seems slightly unclear as to how much Macdonald is there as he as mostly done by this point. Raynor seems have to done some engineering, but may not have seen finished product ... If you compare the drawing to the google earth shot, it looks like there a few holes down near the lake (or away from the Long Island Expressway!) that are kinda close: a cape hole called Lake, and the home hole, maybe #10 and maybe a redan on the far left.

Is the clubhouse still around? It was designed by a famous NYC architect at the time... and with Vanderbilt money!

The Original Routing, 1926 from The Evangelist of Golf, by George Bahto

Todays aerial photo from Google Earth

Tom_Doak

Jaeger:

I had a look around the course years ago.  It's fairly dull property, and there were no holes that stood out as great examples of their type.  Lots of trees now, too.

A shame you didn't get to see The Links Golf Club before it was gone.  That one had some really awesome holes.

Jaeger Kovich

Jaeger:

I had a look around the course years ago.  It's fairly dull property, and there were no holes that stood out as great examples of their type.  Lots of trees now, too.

A shame you didn't get to see The Links Golf Club before it was gone.  That one had some really awesome holes.

Tom ... You may have completed the thread in record time! ...

Oh well.. still may go try and look around since its so close... The holes along the lake seem like they should have had potential. However, not sure why anyone would want to plant a wall of trees blocking views of the water.

What about the clubhouse?

Dean DiBerardino

Here's an image of Deepdale from 1954:

Tom_Doak

Wow -- no wonder I didn't think there was much left of the course.  I wish I could look at them side by side, but clearly there were massive changes -- even to Lake Success itself!

Aaron McMaster

Wow -- no wonder I didn't think there was much left of the course.  I wish I could look at them side by side, but clearly there were massive changes -- even to Lake Success itself!

That course looks like it would've been fun to play!

C. Sturges

I played here last fall.  The "new" course has nothing left of the old.  I believe two holes are left and everything else is different.  With saying that there are a couple of good holes, green sites that did not change.  But not enough to make it worth a special visit.  We had extra time before dinner and knocked out 14 holes in about an hour and a half, and had a good time.  The club was very warm and welcoming and tried to answer our questions of what used to be.  Still a fun place to play, but do not expect it to be anything like its more known neighbors.
Chris

john_stiles

DD,

Thanks for posting the old aerial.

In looking at George's sketch in The Evangelist,  the biarritz (hole#12) just jumps out at the top left of the old aerail.

Based on the shadows, the Island hole, #8 - 130 yds, at the top right must have had deep drop offs behind the green.

The redan hole, #15, lower left looks very interesting as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back