News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Københavns Golf Klub (Royal Copenhagen Golf Club)
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 06:22:55 AM »
Anders

I have been enjoying this tour immensely as the course looks quite interesting.  That said, I am dying to take clippers to the rough and see the land forms underneath!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Christoph Meister

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Hi Anders,

here is the original layout plan of the 1928 course from the 50th anniversary book of KGK published in 1948
(with kind courtesy of the Danish Golf Museum in Vejle):

In the KGK centenary book from 1998 the question is risen who was the architect of the "1928" course. Appearantly in 1954 a long-time member of the club states that the designer was an English architect looking like 70 years old. In 1926 J. Abercromby was 65 years old whereas Morrison was much younger and Charles Mackenzie probably not yet active as a golf architect in 1926, some 10 years later he is the architect of nearby Rungsted GC (1937).

The authors of the book therefore think Abercromby could have been the man we are looking for. Hopefully we will find out...

Btw. the new 8th hole and the two amalgated holes were designed by Danish Golf Architect Rolf Henning-Jensen:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~cis1917/

Greetings,

Christoph Meister  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:59:44 PM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Anders Rytter

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
Hi Anders,

here is the original layout plan of the 1928 course from the 50th anniversary book of KGK published in 1948
(with kind courtesy of the Danish Golf Museum in Vejle):

In the KGK centenary book from 1998 the question is risen who was the architect of the "1928" course. Appearantly in 1954 a long-time member of the club states that the designer was an English architect looking like 70 years old. In 1926 J. Abercromby was 65 years old whereas Morrison was much younger and Charles Mackenzie probably not yet active as a golf architect in 1926, some 10 years later he is the architect of nearby Rungsted GC (1937).

The authors of the book therefore think Abercromby could have been the man we are looking for. Hopefully we will find out...

Btw. the new 8th hole and the two amalgated holes were designed by Danish Golf Architect Rolf Henning-Jensen:

http://users.cybercity.dk/~cis1917/

Greetings,

Christoph Meister  

Thanks Christoph! Have never been to vejle (atleast not to the golf museum), but am planning to go. Have tried to get my hans on one of the books but no luck so far.

I didn't know that R.H. Jensen Did the redo of 8th ( now playing as 12th) thanks for sharring. Looks like the arials from 1954 have the same routing as the original design, wasn't sure about that. "Only" hole 7, 8, and 12 plays different today than one the drawing.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
Anders

Pls. send me your contact e-Mail to info@golfika.de and I will send you the relevant pages from the KGK centenary Book as your Danish is certainly better than mine!

When I visited the course late on a sunday afternoon in August 2008 I thoroughly enjoyed the incredible atmosphere on the course: horse riders, dear and no cars - it was like travelling back in time!

The Golf museum is a place to visit also with Somerset interesting Info on defunct and private Golf courses in Denmark. Let me know Wehen you visit and I'll try for the curator being there then.

Greetings

Christoph
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 02:40:23 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Anders Rytter

« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2012, 03:53:37 AM »
Email send. will try and se if i can bring news to the table.

I'm fairly sure they also have the original routing for Rungsted in Vejle. I've never seen it and can't find it elsewhere. do you have anything? I think they had a 50year aniversary book made 25 years ago (75 year aniversary this year). I've walked the front nine with an older member (front nine is where almost all routing changes has been done), and have a pretty good idea about what it looked like. Besides the knowledge he shared he also came with some priceless comments. Forexample,

"hole 6 was a long par 3 playing from close to current 6th tee to current 7th green, i don't recall how long it was, but it was a gripped 2Iron from the tips."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:17:06 PM by Anders Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2012, 05:10:53 AM »
Email send. will try and se if i can bring news to the table.

I'm fairly sure they also have the original routing for Rungsted in Vejle. I've never seen it and can't find it elsewhere. do you have anything? I think they had a 50year aniversary book made 25 years ago (75 year aniversary this year). I've walked the front nine with an older member (front nine is where almost all routing changes has been done), and have a pretty good idea about what it looked like. Besides the knowledge he shared he also came with some priceless comments. Forexample,

"hole 6 was a long par 3 playing from close to current 6th tee to current 7th green, i don't recall how long it was, but it was a gripped 2Iron from the back-tee."
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 04:17:42 PM by Anders Rytter »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2012, 07:35:32 AM »
In 1928 Colt was 69 years old. Alison was only 56, but he looked like he was 70 (see his photo in my Japanese essay).

Abercromby had slowed his activity way down in 1928; Fowler, Abercromby, Simpson & Croome dissolved in 1928. JFA more or less came out of semi-retirement in 1930 to design Moretonhampstead (Manor House), whereas Colt, Alison & Morrison were in full production and very active in the late 20s...particularly on the continent.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
Colt would have been 59, not 69, in 1928 (born 1869). Alison would have been 46 (born 1882).
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:38 AM »
I've read the part of the centenerary booklet Christoph sent me. There are to interesting quotes in the book with clues regarding the architect. they are translated below.

1. "I remember that Niels Benzon showed up one day with a youthfully looking english 70'ish year old."
2. "An english golf course architect came over. Cosy older gentleman. Besides plaýing golf he was also a keen tango-dancer"

Anders Rytter

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 04:19:58 AM »
Hole 13 (former hole 9)

Another blind drive. Hole 13 is the first of two par 4 that play at similar lenght from members-tee, both have blind drives and play same direction  ( East, down prevaling wind). I dont think they are the strongest on the course. It's funny to note that in 1954 hole 13 was one of the few holes that didn't have a bunker on each side of the green. Just to make sure, a bunker on the left was added in the most recent restoration and now the hole has one on each side.

Blind drive, as hole plays down wind and second shot can't be hit low because of bunkers leave your self a relatively full shot into the green to be able to get enough hight and spin on the ball. as seen on the airials the bunkers cover more of the front of the green than what it looks like in the course guide.

Second shot looks kind of scary. but it's often quite short. besides the bunkers the green is very weel protected by run off areas both left, right and long.

Finally some Green pictures that turned out well

These are taken just left of the green.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 06:53:49 AM »
I've been lucky enough to play a few courses in Denmark. I've always been warmly welcomed as a visitor. There always seem to be plenty of ladies out playing which is good to see. I very much liked the higher holes at Silkeborg, reminding me of Surrey heath-and-heather. We have friends in Hammel and I've played the new course there - nothing to write home about, architecturally, but it's in a very pleasant location. Aarhus was a good challenge, with occasional sightings of the sea from the higher ground (the course undulates a lot) and I remember pretty well every hole, which is a good sign given that it is 20 or 25 years since I played it, just the once. I enjoyed Rungsted, or at least the holes on the clubhouse side of the railway. The holes on the far side of the railway seemed rather less interesting. That will also have been 20-25 years ago and I think they have made some alterations since then.

The place I would love to see a golf course constructed is in those amazing sand dunes just south of Skagen on the north tip of Jutland. Of course, there's absolutely no chance that planning permission would be granted!

I'm enjoying your photos and commentary, Anders.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 06:56:24 AM »
In 1926-1928 Colt, Alison & Morrison laid out nine courses in Germany (most if not all involving Morrison) and another seven in Holland. Morrison was involved at Stockholm in 1931, and the firm advised at Falsterbo in the late 20s as well. If in fact a famous British architect was involved in 1928 the only two other probable candidates would be Simpson & Ross or Hawtree & Taylor. Simpson was active in Europe around that time, but mostly in France and Belgium. Hawtree & Taylor designed Bastad in 1928, which is a stones throw from Copenhagen.

Looking at the old aerials I have my doubts any British golf architect (or British construction company) was heavily involved. The bunkering forms, and location, doesn't look right to me. I suspect if someone came over it was to give basic advice.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 01:11:40 PM »
I've been lucky enough to play a few courses in Denmark. I've always been warmly welcomed as a visitor. There always seem to be plenty of ladies out playing which is good to see. I very much liked the higher holes at Silkeborg, reminding me of Surrey heath-and-heather. We have friends in Hammel and I've played the new course there - nothing to write home about, architecturally, but it's in a very pleasant location. Aarhus was a good challenge, with occasional sightings of the sea from the higher ground (the course undulates a lot) and I remember pretty well every hole, which is a good sign given that it is 20 or 25 years since I played it, just the once. I enjoyed Rungsted, or at least the holes on the clubhouse side of the railway. The holes on the far side of the railway seemed rather less interesting. That will also have been 20-25 years ago and I think they have made some alterations since then.

The place I would love to see a golf course constructed is in those amazing sand dunes just south of Skagen on the north tip of Jutland. Of course, there's absolutely no chance that planning permission would be granted!

I'm enjoying your photos and commentary, Anders.

Regarding Rungsted i don't think that there has been done a lot to the holes on the far side of the tracks for quite some time. The short par 3 15th has been shined up but besides that i dont think a lot has been done. I just took a look on the airials from 1954 and looks like only a couple of the bunkers have been change even that far back.

I might be biased as I'm  a member, but i think 13th is a really good hole (Short par 4 dogleg right) and 16 is one of the best on the course Par 5.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:15 PM »
In 1926-1928 Colt, Alison & Morrison laid out nine courses in Germany (most if not all involving Morrison) and another seven in Holland. Morrison was involved at Stockholm in 1931, and the firm advised at Falsterbo in the late 20s as well. If in fact a famous British architect was involved in 1928 the only two other probable candidates would be Simpson & Ross or Hawtree & Taylor. Simpson was active in Europe around that time, but mostly in France and Belgium. Hawtree & Taylor designed Bastad in 1928, which is a stones throw from Copenhagen.

Looking at the old aerials I have my doubts any British golf architect (or British construction company) was heavily involved. The bunkering forms, and location, doesn't look right to me. I suspect if someone came over it was to give basic advice.

More information from the booklet.

The architecht was paid £100 and spend 14 days designing the course. supposedly the architect was found after having an ad in "Golfer's Handbook". The author thinks that J.F. Abercromby is the architect. An English diplomat, Lionel Hudson, supervised the construction and made some alterations to the original plans due to planning restrictions. The green keepers at the club build the course.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
Hole 14. par 4 (Former hole 10)
This is one of the more dull holes. this might also be because it plays quit like the prior hole. a track across the fairway is the most special part of the hole.

The drive is very blind, nothing really guides you.

Second shot is down hill to a green that is the most interresting part of the hole

I've got a sweetener as i didn't write too much about hole 14. courtesy of Christoph Meister. taken on what is now hole 10
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 02:47:03 PM by Anders Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »
Hole 15 (and to my knowledge has always been 15th)

A dogleg right hole with a drive over a sea of mean rough. we are still playing some what down the prevaling wind allthough it's normally a little more from the right than straigh in the back. The ladies tees play the hole fairly straight, members tee is playing slightly from the right and the tips are quite a bit right. the heavy hitters Can cut off a lot of the dog-leg, even aim for the front of the green especially when the prevailing wind is blowing. The tees on the right both play the hole with more of a dogleg but also with the wind normally more straigth from behind.

The bunkers on the hole have been changed between 1944 and 1995 but the big bunker in the middle of the fairway in the picture from 1954 wasn't moved left until the Mackenzie restoration in 2008-2010.

If very conservativea slight hill across the fairway can make a short drive really short or kick it left (from member or tips, right for ladies.)

If in the faiway the seccond shot is straight forward, theres a small ridge across a green with very few flat spots. Not all of the green can be seen as the shot is slightly uphilll and the rigt side is covered by the lip of the bunker. In the background you see the Eremitage Palace which is still in the royal Familys possesion.

If in th right rough the short is not very easy. You have a bunker in front and runoff areas long-left. If looking carefully the contours of the green can also be seen.

Me in front of 15th green.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:56:32 AM by Anders Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
Hole 16 par3
Hole 16 is a mid-length/Short par three, slightly uphill with a big false front. there is no where to bail out, you are either on the green or left with a tough chip. The hole is originally designed without bunkers, but had one made just left of the green once, this bunker was filled in by Mackenzie& Ebbert in ~2009

Because the hole is uphill it hard to see hoe far back the pin is (atleast untill we got the tools that measures the distance) the green is 30 meters deep but the first few can be used as hole locations due to the false front.

This is a closeup of the green seen from the tee. look at the false front but also how many dificult lies you can get if you miss left or right. A ball that lands of the green can also get a severe kick on the humps and valleys.

Here is a close up of the green from above (the tee is a 9 o'clock). Not a lot of places to miss.

This is the shot you are supposed to get if you miss the green short. both balls in the picture a stuck because it is early season.

I don't know why but this is one of my favorite holes out there.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 04:58:33 PM »
Hole 17 par 5
A par 5 with a rolling fairway. Second shot is blind if your drive isn't long enough. The green is protected short  left, but the fairway short and the green slopes from right to left and hence right is the way to get to the green if going for it in two. The fairway bunker right is not original. I guess it catches the poorly stroken shots so they don't roll all the way to the green, but it also takes out some posibilities.

The drive:

After the knoll the faiways slopes down and to the left

The green is not the most exciting on the course.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Hole 18 - Par 3
Hole 18 is a very controversial par three with to huge Chesnuttrees  between the tee and the green. The hoole is quite long (207Yards) and hence not everybody can hit a club that can carry the trees and reach the greens. The short right pinposition can be semi-blind and a lot of mid-high handicappers need to hit it between the trees as they can't hit it over at all. especially the slicers will have an issue as the left tree is fairly close to the tee.

The teeshot is less intimidating in the winter

Than it is in the summer, due to the leafs.

Source. Fore.dk

The grass is not growing that good arround the green, especially not if you are long. This doesn't make recovery shots any easier.

This concludes my tour of Royal Copenhagen Golf Club, i hope i'm able to add some summerpictures later on and also some more detailed pictures of the greens.

Jon Wiggett

Anders,

really good thread and photo tour. I am very impressed with the quality the course seems to offer despite being very simple in design and look. I hope you can do the same for one or two other courses in Denmark.

Jon

Gary Slatter

The Muirfield of Denmark, except the members are younger and better looking!
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Jim Eder

Anders,

Thank you for a very detailed and wonderful tour. The course and the setting look terrific. I imagine it is a lot of fun to play.

Sean_A

Anders

I really like the look of this course...except for the 18th.  What happened?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Anders Rytter

Anders

I really like the look of this course...except for the 18th.  What happened?

Ciao
Sean,
I assume you refer to the trees? Hole 1 and 18 are on the northern side of a Road/path and are both on the original 1928 routing that Christoph Meister provided. The piece of land on the club house side of the road (the northern) borders the forrest and has trees. It's to small to fit anything but the two par threes onto. When standing on the 18th tee you have open land all arround, but the two trees between youself and the hole. It's not in the forrest. Now everything is protected and can't be touched, they are not even allowed to cut the rough and i think there is absolutely No chance they are allowed to cut the trees (the left one is by far the biggest issue i would say.)  I'm not a tree expert but my best guess is that the where an almost equally big issue 85years ago. I don't have an answer, maybe it was an important issue to have the 18th close to the clubhouse, i don't know.

Anders Rytter

It's great fun, but quite a bit more so in the spring than late-summer due to the rough. It's crazy sometimes, quite a drawback i have to say.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back