News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anders Rytter

Københavns Golf Klub was on a list of courses people wanted portraited here. I played the course a few days ago and will try and do my first photo tour on GCA. I will Update this thread the next couple of weeks.

The club is the oldest in Scandinavia, founded 1898, but the current course wasn't build until 1928. The course was designed by "The Grand Old Man" of danish golf, Frederik Dreyer and presumambly a well known british architect. I'm not sure why this is so uncertain but it's hard to look up as the clubhouse including the archives for both the Club and The Danish golf association was bombed during WW2 and burned to the ground! A few holes have been changed since then and the last few years Mackenzie & Ebert have restored the course and reshaped some of the greenareas, especially the fringes.

The place is truely unique, situated in the middle of the Queens deer park 20minutes from Copenhagen City Center. The deer park is the former hunting grounds of the royal family (since 1669) and is still packed with deer including on the golf course.

because of the heritage of the deer park the club has to go through a lenghtly process if they want to change anything including mowing lines, bunkers etc. There are no signs, trashcans, ballwashers or even benches on the course.

To get to the club house you have to pass a big gate that keeps the deer in the park

And walk what is often called the longest walk from parkinglot to the first tee, i can't say i've seen one longer!

The Club House is allso fenced to keep animals out.

The greens are predominantly Red Fescue and Bend grasses. In Denmark we have extremely tight environmental regulation, especially when it comes to golf courses. I'm not an expert, but i know that we are already tight and it is only getting worse (Better?).

More will follow tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:41:58 PM by Anders Rytter »

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Københavns Golf Klub (Royal Copenhagen Golf Club)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:29:20 PM »
Very interesting thread A Rytter - do you have a first name? You are a local Dane?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this thread.

Now this is certainly a quirky start to a round of golf, and very keen to see the golf course pics. If you could also include things like playing season, assume it is private club?

I note the emblem/logo above the main gate is dated 1972, what is this?

@theflatsticker

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:34:39 PM »
Brett, first name is Anders, IIRC from his intro thread.

Thanks for starting this, looks to be really interesting.  Looking forward to seeing the course.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 02:54:56 AM »
Very interesting thread A Rytter - do you have a first name? You are a local Dane?

Thanks for taking the time and effort to post this thread.

Now this is certainly a quirky start to a round of golf, and very keen to see the golf course pics. If you could also include things like playing season, assume it is private club?

I note the emblem/logo above the main gate is dated 1972, what is this?

As Mark wrote, first name is Anders, should have put it in the screen name here when i started but didn't. I will post something longer after work but to answer your questions. I'm a native dane and live in Copenhagen.

1. Season would normally be April 1st to roughly december 1st. The pictures are taken first day of the season this year, 17th of march. The soil is not only sand but Not really heavy either. Later in the season it will play quite firm and fast but so far it's slightly wet and the deer leaves quite som trace when they walk arround.

2.I think you would call it semi-private, correct me if i'm wrong. The Club is member owned, rougly 900-1000 members would be my guess. But all clubs in Denmark are open to visitors that are member of a golf club under EGA og USGA and at Copenhagen Greenfee is only $100, half that if you are with a member.

3. The emblem on the gate is the coat of arms of Queen Margarethe 2nd, our current Queen. She became queen in 1972, that explains the year. Remember, it's in her park.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:26:04 AM by A Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:32 PM »
Last thing i forgot to mention yesterday is that the rough can't be touched at all by the greenkeepers. the are not allowed to drive through it or cut it. late in the year it gets really REALLY thick and Nasty, close to a guaranteed lost ball or atleast an alomost impossible shot.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

First hole on Københavns golf klub has seen very slight changes over the years.

In 1944 Demarks was photographed from the Air by LuftWaffe and again in 1954 by US Air force. I'ts such a small country and we pretty much got the whole thing covered both times. These photos are very useful when looking into changes on golfcourses. Below i've pasted the current courseguide picture and a snapshot of hole 1 taken by US airforce in 1954.

The bunker short right has been changed.

The first hole is a pretty straigh forward mid-lenght par 3. On the right you have the forrest that borders the Course all the way up on the Northen boundary. Left of the green theres a ditch that stops the slightly hooked ball before it reaches a small road further left. you dont wan't to be left or long. Short of the green the fairway slopes right towards the bunker.

The picture with the deer in my first post is of the first green.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:39:35 PM by Anders Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 03:51:46 PM »
2nd hole is a short par 4 with a blind tee-shot.  It's also more or less untouched since 1954, a bunker has been added short of the green, i guees it more in blay with new equipment and people going for the green from the tee. You still have the forrest on the right as the hole continues west. The Fairway narrows 200m out and start to slope right.    

The little Pond left is quite a bit out of the line.

The blind tee-shot

2nd shot from right side of the fairway

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
Anders,

Thank you for the nice photos of what looks like an interesting course! As an arborist, the density of the trees, particularly the interior branching, is astounding to me. How does air move through them when the leaves are fully out?

I'm for strict environmental controls when they make sense. How does no cutting of the rough, particularly that very near the fairway, really accomplish much for nature? It would seem a more balanced approach, with perhaps seasonal mowing of the immediate rough, would make for enjoyable play and cause no harm to anything? I'd appreciate your thoughts on how your country shapes the maintenance policy for your public and private lands.

Your country has a proud past and some wonderful culture. One day, I hope to make a swing up that way to see Denmark and some of the other Scandanavian nations.

Cheers and thanks again for your photos. I look forward to seeing the others when you get time to post them.

Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Anthony Gray

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:08:20 PM »

I like the thread. I wish every course had course guides.  Anthony

Steve Okula

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
Thanks for an interesting subject, it appears to be a unique golf course.

I'm curious about the "Danish Luftwaffe" you say took the aerial photos in 1944. I have never heard of that organization. Did Danish aircraft photograph the country with the blessings of the German occupiers? Or did Nazi Luftwaffe still have, as late as 1944, the luxury of planes to do blanket aerial photos of an entire country, golf courses and all?
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:36:15 PM »
"Thanks for an interesting subject, it appears to be a unique golf course.

I'm curious about the "Danish Luftwaffe" you say took the aerial photos in 1944. I have never heard of that organization. Did Danish aircraft photograph the country with the blessings of the German occupiers? Or did Nazi Luftwaffe still have, as late as 1944, the luxury of planes to do blanket aerial photos of an entire country, golf courses and all?"

GERMAN Luftwaffe, my bad :). And yes, sounds strange in 1944, haven't thought about that before. link is here http://lw1944.flyfotoarkivet.dk/ . 90% ish of Denmark is covered. BTW, i'm using the 1954 pictures as the quality is better.

Anders,

Thank you for the nice photos of what looks like an interesting course! As an arborist, the density of the trees, particularly the interior branching, is astounding to me. How does air move through them when the leaves are fully out?

I'm for strict environmental controls when they make sense. How does no cutting of the rough, particularly that very near the fairway, really accomplish much for nature? It would seem a more balanced approach, with perhaps seasonal mowing of the immediate rough, would make for enjoyable play and cause no harm to anything? I'd appreciate your thoughts on how your country shapes the maintenance policy for your public and private lands.

Your country has a proud past and some wonderful culture. One day, I hope to make a swing up that way to see Denmark and some of the other Scandanavian nations.

Cheers and thanks again for your photos. I look forward to seeing the others when you get time to post them.

Kris

The place only has Trees on one side (North), very open besides that. only a few scenic trees or cluster of trees South, East and West. in general the place is quite windy.

The rough thing is special for the deer park not the rest of Denmark. The whole place is protected like a natural reserve. i don't think they can cut the threes either, maybe under special circumstances. Golf courses in general are working under tough restrictions here, and then this clubs is just in a place with even more regulation. Most of the course is far away from "the public" and still they can't touch it. I'm not an expert, but i've heard that people outside the country would be amazed if they knew about what framework our greens-personal have to work with.  

Population density is fairly high in Denmark and hence places like this are scarce. we haven't got to many links courses (only one Fanø comes to mind) even though we have so much coast,  the coasts are all protected aswell.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:42:46 PM by A Rytter »

Anders Rytter

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
Hole 3. second par 4 and second blind drive.

The tee shot is really interesting (atleast 2nd time you play the course). left side of the green is covered by a very big Oak and shorts that are both long and left have no shot to the green unless you try and hit it under the oak. if you are just left the 2nd short is blind but makeable.

2nd blind drive, aim just left of the Eremitage Palace seen in the background.the oak guarding the green can also be seen. a slightly greedy tee-shot....

... will reach the slope and very likely kick both left and forward, towards the no-go part of the fairway.

Right of the green the fairway is very bumpy, i assume a lot of people have to bounce their seccond short in from here, comming out of the right rough if too fearful of the oak from the tee

I recall these contours beeing more pronounced, might be the light.

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
Wow... Thanks for the effort on the thread. I lived in Copenhagen in 1998 and played Royal Copenhagen many times. The club was very welcoming to this nineteen year old American... It's a very neat course in a wonderful setting. I look forward to reading more. Cheers.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
Anders,
Tak!
I have visited Denmark a couple times and absolutely love it.
I find the uniqueness of this course fascinating, and look forward to the rest of the tour.
Brett
@theflatsticker

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Anders,

Thank you for your thoughts. The course pictures have a beautiful starkness to them that must really be appreciated in person...one day!

How would you assess the golf culture in Denmark. Affluent, mostly private, limited access, growing, good youth programs, what's the direction of the sport there as you see it? Forgive the many questions, but I never hear or see much on golf in your region and am intrigued.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
Super cool!

More please.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Lott

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »
Wonderful--looking forward to more.

The 1944 photos are amazing. Had no idea something like that existed.
David Lott

Anders Rytter

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:15:24 AM »
Wonderful--looking forward to more.

The 1944 photos are amazing. Had no idea something like that existed.

I deciede to use 1954 (Us air force) instead, quality is far superior. but yes, they are really cool. I had been looking for the original routing of my home club for ages (it's just 10min drive up the coast and also on the air photos) and stumpled uppon these.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 04:16:07 AM »
Super cool!

More please.

Very busy, hope to post more later today or friday.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:32:01 AM »
Anders,

Thank you for your thoughts. The course pictures have a beautiful starkness to them that must really be appreciated in person...one day!

How would you assess the golf culture in Denmark. Affluent, mostly private, limited access, growing, good youth programs, what's the direction of the sport there as you see it? Forgive the many questions, but I never hear or see much on golf in your region and am intrigued.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Hi Kris, i agree, the place has to seen in person to really get it. especially the deer and the way the Big Oaks are left until they fall by them selves and then just left on the ground is very "Natural" and nothing i've experienced else where.

Golf in Denmark is not very affluent. all courses are open to visitors and greenfees are very affordable. I don't think that the general quality of courses here is very high.

Lots of young players, i think most clubs have "free" programs for the kids, atleast the two where i'm a member. Golf was booming back in 2007 is one of the bigger sports here measured by members. The last five years we've had a couple more ambitous course projects opening (people seem to be obsessed with Robert Trent Jones III, he designed most of them).

Sweden is just half an our drive away, and they southern part of the country is packed with golf courses.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:44:29 AM »

The club is the oldest in Scandinavia, founded 1898, but the current course wasn't build until 1928. The course was designed by "The Grand Old Man" of danish golf, Frederik Dreyer and presumambly a well known british architect. I'm not sure why this is so uncertain but it's hard to look up as the clubhouse including the archives for both the Club and The Danish golf association was bombed during WW2 and burned to the ground!

Anders
What are some of the speculations regarding that well known British architect?

Anders Rytter

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 07:26:18 AM »

The club is the oldest in Scandinavia, founded 1898, but the current course wasn't build until 1928. The course was designed by "The Grand Old Man" of danish golf, Frederik Dreyer and presumambly a well known british architect. I'm not sure why this is so uncertain but it's hard to look up as the clubhouse including the archives for both the Club and The Danish golf association was bombed during WW2 and burned to the ground!

Anders
What are some of the speculations regarding that well known British architect?

Tom,
I've just heard it mentioned a few times, Mackenzie& Ebbert also write it on their homepage. I've always just thought Frederik Dreyer did it but i just can't state it as a fact that he did it alone cause I'm simply not sure. Have never heard a name associated with the rumor. As one of the very first courses in Denmark (it's oldest club, not course oldest course is Fanø) i guess it's not a wild thought that somebody from out side was here.

But again, i know nothing and have no where to look it up. Frederik Dreyer gets the credit here, have just heard the "rumor" a few times.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 07:50:50 AM »
Anders,

Thanks for the overview. Denmark sounds very Scottish (paging Melvyn!) in the approach your country takes...which is wonderful! Sounds quite inclusive and welcoming to all.

I imagine the turf conditions could suffer some due to the limited growing season. Are there wide variations in microclimates up there?

Have you been over to the States yet? If you're planning a trip, I'd be happy to host you for a few rounds of golf in the Philadelphia area. There's some pretty good golf here, and I think you would enjoy the social nature of the town and folk as well!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Anders Rytter

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
Anders,

Thanks for the overview. Denmark sounds very Scottish (paging Melvyn!) in the approach your country takes...which is wonderful! Sounds quite inclusive and welcoming to all.

I imagine the turf conditions could suffer some due to the limited growing season. Are there wide variations in microclimates up there?

Have you been over to the States yet? If you're planning a trip, I'd be happy to host you for a few rounds of golf in the Philadelphia area. There's some pretty good golf here, and I think you would enjoy the social nature of the town and folk as well!

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Turf suffers from both the growing season but also tough regulation, lots of stuff you can't use her, use of water and fertiziler is restricted although not banned. Also, Coastal areas are protected and most courses are on land with rather heavy soil, although not all. The terrain does to some degree vary but everything besides farm-land seems to be protected here. we do have some fairly cool pieces of land, but golf developed rather late here and now you can hardly but up a bench these places. The increasing regulations means that most courses are converting to Bendgrass and fescue, as far as i understand they will have to play firmer to keep weed away as they can't use herbicides or fungicides (i think they cant or atleast very little). The process is a pretty big issue here among those who know it, especially on courses designed to play soft, i like it at most courses but general opinion is often that soft greens are great.

I travel quite a bit, i'm in US a couples times in a normal year, mostly doing business but if possible i bring my clubs to be able to go to a drivingrange after work. Primarily in NYC area. If i ever have the time to play golf in Philadelphia i would be very happy to be your guest. Have been to Philladelphia but haven't played, spend 5min on the PV parking lot, the one outside the property, thats all, while driving from Philadelphia to Atlantic City once. So far i've only played in Miami.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:13:32 PM by A Rytter »

Gary Slatter

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:43 PM »
Aners, THANK YOU so much for the pictures of the exciting Royal Copenhagen Golf Club.   I was fortunate enough to have played there in the 1973 Danish Open, had 26 birdies and finished second to Angel Gallardo of Spain.   It was in July and the course was very fast and firm which meant no hoove marks on the greens.  The rough was rough, not only quite high but full of dried tracks from the huge deer.   I loved getting off the train and walking the long trail to the clubhouse.  I walked back to my hotel along the beach, lovely topless swimmers!  The 45 minute walk could take two hours. 

Over the years its been difficult to get info on the course, thanks again!  We loved the country, my son was 3 when we visited, he now has a Danish wife (he did not meet her on that trip).  Still have the second place trophy, 1973 BP Cup.

May I use your pictures on my blog?
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Anders Rytter

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
Aners, THANK YOU so much for the pictures of the exciting Royal Copenhagen Golf Club.   I was fortunate enough to have played there in the 1973 Danish Open, had 26 birdies and finished second to Angel Gallardo of Spain.   It was in July and the course was very fast and firm which meant no hoove marks on the greens.  The rough was rough, not only quite high but full of dried tracks from the huge deer.   I loved getting off the train and walking the long trail to the clubhouse.  I walked back to my hotel along the beach, lovely topless swimmers!  The 45 minute walk could take two hours. 

Over the years its been difficult to get info on the course, thanks again!  We loved the country, my son was 3 when we visited, he now has a Danish wife (he did not meet her on that trip).  Still have the second place trophy, 1973 BP Cup.

May I use your pictures on my blog?

Hi Gary,
I'm glad you like it. Feel free to use my picture where ever you like but please post a link to the blog.

BR
Anders

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back