News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Rose

What happened in 1981 that caused all the yardages to change? More accurate measurements?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Sven Nilsen

What happened in 1981 that caused all the yardages to change? More accurate measurements?

Matt:

That's my guess.  From the write-ups, it appears that most who had played the course regularly knew the yardages were off, based on the clubs they ended up hitting into the greens.  Seems like the club decided to do a one time update to address the actual yardages. 

Haven't found it, but I'd like to see a list of total yards as it progressed over the years.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Colin Macqueen

Sven,
I am savouring this thread but you're going to have to go like a bat out of hell to get to the eighteenth before the 2012 champion!

These images may be a bit clunky as I scanned and reproduced this piece by Ron Whitten in the anthology The First Sunday in April - The Masters. I found it gave a slant on things which I had not realised at the time namely that top professionals were uneasy with the changes going on.

Actually it doesn't look too bad. Hope it adds to the thread.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sven Nilsen

Colin:

Thanks for posting the article.  A fascinating read.

In response to the countless pm's I've received asking for the 6th, here we go:

Hole 6 - Juniper - Par 3

1934 - 185 yards - Designed to be a "much more attractive" version of the original Redan, the hole was dominated by the "buried elephant" in the back-right portion of the green.

1954 - 190 yards - In 1953, the creek short of the green was dammed to allow spectator flow through the area without delay at footbridges.  Neither the creek or the pond resulting from the change were ever in play.  For 1958, the area to the right and behind the elephant mound was increased by several feet in each direction to make it a fairer target.

1967 - 190 yards - The mud and scum filled pond was filled in after the 1959 Masters.  Hole locations were used on the top of the mound (which was 8 feet higher than the front of the green), but became unviable as the increased green speeds made the slope unfair.

2011 - 180 yards - Green was rebuilt in 1981 to support bent-grass turf.  In 1994, the back-right mound was flattened so it could once again contain pin placements.  The green was redone in 2008 to add a heating and cooling system and rebuilt to match the contours that had been in place.

From Dan:

"In contrast to number five, the Old Country roots of the par-3 sixth were rather more apparent on opening day, for the sixth was modeled after the famous Redan at North Berwick, the game’s most copied hole.  With typical modesty, MacKenzie referred to this version as “a much more attractive hole than the original,” and it did offer several prominent differences.  First, whereas North Berwick’s Redan is played semi-blind over a short rise in its fairway, Augusta’s rendition is played downhill, affording a much greater sense of the hole’s angles and challenges.  Second, while the original (and its legion of replicas) features a putting surface which falls away from front-right to back-left, MacKenzie’s sketch suggests that the sixth fell more sideways, into a left/front-left quadrant.  Further, though not apparent in the sketch, it is widely reported that this green originally had a prominent mound very near its center – a hillock steep enough that golfers would be hard-pressed to maintain control of their ball if forced to putt over it.

In this light, it is hardly surprising that the sixth green was among Perry Maxwell’s initial 1937 renovations, a reconstruction that removed the mound, left much of the Redan-like left-side contour intact, and added a prominent right-side shelf.  Also, a small creek, which sat in the valley some 75 yards shy of the green (and which was at one time dammed into a pond) was permanently buried in 1959.

Better Then or Now?

As with hole number four, modern green speeds would have surely rendered MacKenzie’s original green unplayable at least two decades ago, so the debate is largely a moot one.  Still, the slightly modified Redan concept is alive and well in the putting surface’s front-left section, and the elevated right side represents a completely different strategic element – so if nothing else, it’s hard to seriously argue that the hole has gotten worse."

The 6th is the third hole in a row that borrows from the standard list of templates, albeit MacKenzie's interpretation thereof.  To carry on the theme, the fronting bunker appears to have its edges softened over the years, removing the crumpled edges and replacing them with, to borrow a term, a more "amoebic" appearance.

This hole is yet another example of how changes were made due to the playing characteristics of the green under faster conditions.  I think I'd rather watch today's players have to contend with the bit of quirk created by the mound, as Jimmy DeMaret did in the early years using a 9-iron to spin the ball off the top of the nob to one foot when faced with what would have been a long putt over the mound.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:17:04 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

Emile Bonfiglio

Quoting the last sentance of the book excerpt, "Who wouldn't want to play Augusta National from the tees were Arnie and Jack once reigned."

My thoughts exactly, in fact the I'm not going back to play there until they put those tee boxes back...that'll teach 'em!
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

John Kirk

My first TV tournament recollection is Tiger Woods playing the hole last year, with the Sunday front left position.  Up until that point, most of the players were hitting it 20-40 feet long, and trickling it down there for par.  Tiger hits a roundhouse hook (6- or 7-iron probably) that spins hard left off the sideslope, and makes it all the way down there, and was just about the only guy who made birdie.  One of the best shots I had ever seen.

The back right pin would require a straight to fade shot, wouldn't you think?  I think if you miss right, it's pretty tough to make par.

I found a decent picture that shows how the left side of the green looks, courtesy of Dr. Mike Mellum.  Hope that's OK, Doc:

Thanks for doing this, Sven.  A great way to get excited about the Masters.

Sven Nilsen

Thanks for doing this, Sven.  A great way to get excited about the Masters.

Not a problem John.  I'm doing it mostly just to go through the exercise to learn about the changes, and appreciate any additions that add to the knowledge base.

I think the part that's missing in this (other than more diagrams and photos) is a detailed look at the strategies involved.  I found a write-up from 2008 by Zach Johnson's caddy that describes their thought processes for each hole:  

http://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/Golf/News/searchresults/April-08/the-masters-2008/the-masters-2008-course-guide/.  

I really like the way he breaks things down based on the different pin positions, and how he describes the no-go zones on the course.  It's no surprise that for a shorter player like Zach they put a big emphasis on avoiding trouble in the fairway (as opposed to attacking it) and just hitting the greens.  From there, hitting a few putts will put you in contention.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 04:00:19 PM by Sven Nilsen »

John Kirk

On #6, I thought it would be good to see what it looked like, to gauge the original Redan concept against today's shape.  What I did not know, before you mentioned it, are the three consecutive templates on the front nine.  Makes sense.

Sven Nilsen

Wait until we get to 7 (modeled after 18 at St. Andrews) and 8 (green based on the 17th at Muirfield).  Although these aren't templates in the sense that they haven't been widely copied, its still interesting to see how the good Doctor borrowed from the classics.

Chris Buie

Sven Nilsen

As Colin pointed out, time is running short before the first high-powered European luxury courtesy car ventures up Magnolia Lane.  In some ways, the 80 degree weather in Chicago makes it feel like I missed the tournament altogether.  Its a rare year when I see spring blooms in person before I see them while Jim Nantz's is calling me a "friend."  But since we are still a week or so away, we'll move on to the Seventh.

Before we do, quick thanks to Colin for the article, John K. for the photos and Chris B. for the side-by-side historical overheads.  And if anyone wants to chime in to let me know what a Pampas is I'd appreciate it.

7th Hole - Pampas - Par 4

1934 - 340 yards - Intended as a version of the 18th at St. Andrew's, this hole disappointed Bobby Jones.  "By championship standards, [it] played to short," he wrote.  "The contouring of the green did not correspond with our original objective...too severe, or if you choose, too tricky."  Byron Nelson reached the green from the tee when he won in 1937.

1939 - 370 yards - At the behest of Roberts, Maxwell reshaped portions of the green in 1937, but concluded no one could truly improve it.  At the suggestion of Horton Smith, a new green was built in 1938 beyond the old one, atop a hill.  Paid for by a club member, it was build with a tractor borrowed from the county.  Maxwell, on direction to make the new green similar to the par-4 8th at Pine Valley, fronted the green with three bunkers.

1956 - 365 yards - As if the smallest green (3,600 sf) sitting half-blind 15 feet above the fairway wasn't testing enough, George Cobb added two bunkers behind the green before the 1955 Masters.  Pines trees were also planted along the fairway.  The next summer, the hillside behind the green was cleared to create a gallery mound.

2002 - 410 yards - In 1966, the bunkers had to be deepened to prevent players from putting out of them.  In 1994, the green was enlarged on the left for new hole locations.  A new back tee added 50 yards in 2002.  Fazio explained this change by saying "long hitters were driving it past the trees and onto the upslope, leaving them a 50-yard approach they could hit with no spin and stick close to the hole."

2011 - 450 yards - In 2005, the back-right corner of the green was softened for new hole locations.  Additional pines were planted on both sides of the fairway effectively tightening the playing corridor.  The tee was moved back an additional 40 yards into what originally had been the maintenance yard.  The new tee required a walk back from the 6th green of 80 yards.

As always, Dan's write-up gets to the heart of the matter:

"Few holes at Augusta National have been altered to the extent that the par-4 seventh has; indeed, aside from remaining in its original playing corridor, it is today an entirely different hole from that which Jones and MacKenzie created in 1933.  Their original was a bunkerless drive-and-pitch modeled after the 18th at St. Andrews, running straight away and culminating in a shallow, three-tiered green with a prominent front-right finger, and a Valley of Sin-like depression guarding the front-left.  Deemed too easy early in life, it was soon replaced by a “Postage Stamp” concept reportedly suggested by Horton Smith; that is, the small, somewhat elevated, and closely guarded putting surface which Perry Maxwell constructed on a rise behind the original green site in 1938.  This comparably shallow target was initially fronted by the same three bunkers that remain before it today, with the back two bunkers only being added much later, in 1951.

By the new millennium, however, the club deemed that version too easy as well, leading Tom Fazio to extend the hole to 445 yards and narrow its fairway with the addition of both trees and rough.  The result, while undeniably challenging, now bears zero resemblance to the Jones and MacKenzie original.  It is, however, at least partially defendable if one accepts the notion that Jones’s word represents the Augusta gospel, for he clearly endorsed the narrowing concept (at least if accomplished via flora) back in 1959, when he wrote: “The tee shot on this hole becomes tighter year by year as the pine trees on either side of the fairway continue to spread.  Length is not a premium here, but the narrow fairway seems to have an added impact because it suddenly confronts the player when he has become accustomed to the broad expanses of the preceding holes.”

But that said, the present version easily draws more (and louder) negative Masters comments than any hole at Augusta.

Better Then or Now?

For whom? While members might well enjoy the subtle challenges of the seventh hole circa 1933, with modern technology it would scarcely even be considered a par 4 for Masters competitors, who would drive indiscriminately towards the green and, at worst, hope for two-putt birdies from the Valley of Sin. The pre-Fazio postage stamp version, on the other hand, was still manageable for the members and quirky/fun for the pros. The present version is simply brutal unless one favors the sort of stilted, hit-it-here-or-else style of play incumbent to a modern U.S. Open, in which case we have a winner."

The write-up noted above by Zach Johnson's caddy indicates that they thought this hole to be the toughest on the course.  The size of the green certainly presents a tough target on a hole of its current length.

The original "Valley of Sin" design raises the question of whether or not MacKenzie thought of this hole as driveable.  Even if he did, its apparent that Jones and others preferred a hole with a bit more challenge.  One has to wonder if the final result meets or pushes past their vision.  It would not be surprising if the 7th green was altered further to make it more receptive to longer approaches.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:20:44 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Colin Macqueen

Sven,

In Australia Pampas is a high quality frozen pastry mix!!! Drive for show putt for dough.

But it is also a type of long wavy grass with obvious seed heads methinks.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Matthew Rose

I'm definitely not a fan of the 7th hole these days. Too long, too narrow, too one-dimensional.

It should be a drive and pitch, or at least a wedge, with the green it has. It's also ruined the flow of the golf course.... you used to be able to make a move at 7-8-9 before you got to the back nine, and that's much tougher now.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Chris Buie

The 7th is one of the most radically changed holes. As you can see from the original Mackenzie illustrations it had an angle to it - as well as a stream and a proposed fairway bunker. The green used to have much more personality and character to it, as well. Now you have a narrow, straight chute for your drive - no options whatsoever off the tee, just try to kick it through the goal posts. The quality of the tee shot is greatly diminished. The green is entirely aerial - no interesting ways to rumble up an approach shot.
All in all I think the course works well for a major championship. However, as a members course the original version would have been exquisite.
There used to be streams rolling along in many places there. Mostly they are gone which diminishes the strategic as well as aesthetic aspects of the course. Personally, I love natural streams wandering about here and there - as long as they are thoughtfully woven into the logic of the course. I love the look and the sound and opting for different ways to play around them. That's one of the things that makes the 13th so great and the 15th so aesthetically bland.
As ever, just my perspective.
(The last photo is borrowed from Ian Andrew's first rate blog. Hope that's ok Ian! http://ianandrewsgolfdesignblog.blogspot.com)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:38:26 PM by Chris Buie »

jim_lewis

I would like to make a couple of comments:

Hole #2:
The hole is much less fun to watch play on since they have moved the tee back so far. Previously, most players would hit driver and gamble with the bunker. If successful they could usually go for the green from a downhill lie well past the bunker. The longer hits used middle irons. I have spent many hours on the ropes below the bunker watching second shots. If the tee shot hit the bunker, it just became a 3-shot hole. If the player missed left into the trees, he brought bogey into play.
Now, most players lay up short of the bunker, then short of the green for a short iron into the green. Only the longer hitters flirt with the bunker. For most players, even if they miss the bunker, they need a fairway wood to reach the green, so most don't evern try. It used to be an exciting gofer par 5. Now it is a three shot hole for most players.

Hole #4:
I have seen many players hit their tee shots over the green, especially when the hole location is behind the rightfront bunker. Long is a problem, but short into the face of the bunker can be worse.

The tee is usually moved up to the members tee at least one day during the tournament, not Sunday.

Back to #1:
I think that many of the pines left of the fairway beyond the bunker were added before 1983. I don't recall which year, but I do remember watching Don January play from those trees when they were only 6-10 ft tall.

Jim Lewis
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

John Kirk

I've changed my response totally, after reading Jim Lewis's comments.  Jim, great stuff.  I never said I was right about any of this.

:D

What hole are we on?  Oh yeah, tight drive on #9.  What?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:01:07 PM by John Kirk »

Matthew Rose

I wonder how different some of those holes would be if they'd left those streams intact....

I've always loved the way the stream on #13 plays.

John Kirk

Chris,

I can't get over that black and white photograph of the original #7 green.  Have you ever seen a green that looks more like a boomerang?

Sven Nilsen

John:

To answer a question from earlier in the thread, the left side is 11 yards deep (your guess of 10-12 yards was spot on).

I've always heard that the contours at Augusta have to be seen to be believed.  With the softening of the greens just on the first 7 holes alone, they must have been something to behold when the course first opened.

Sven Nilsen

And we're back...

Hole 8 - Yellow Jasmine - Par 5

1934 - 500 yards - The hole played 60 feet uphill to a punchbowl style green (similar to the 17th at Muirfield) that MacKenzie his with 9 to 12 foot high hillocks.  At its narrowest point, the green was only 20 feet wide, with a 45-degree turn to the left.

1957 - 520 yards - Supposedly Roberts loved the green at the 8th (nicknamed Jane Russell due to the mounds), but deemed it appropriate to knock down the hillocks for better spectator viewing.  The resulting figure-eight platform green had a vertical drop on all sides.  Bob Jones got angry at Roberts, telling him he was wrecking the course.  For the 1957 Masters, a sign near the green explained that the change was only temporary.

1958 - 530 yards - Cobb was called in after the '57 tournament to rebuild the green and recover the shape created by Mackenzie.  The result was a green flatter and wider than the original.  In place of the legendary mounds, Cobb built two ordinary bunkers because of Roberts' insistence on keeping clear sight lines for the patrons.  Cobb also filled in the old fairway cross bunker and created a new one farther out and to the right.

1980 - 530 yards - After Roberts died in 1977, the club asked Cobb to restore the green again.  When Cobb indicated he could not recall the original shape or contours, Byron Nelson stepped in with Joseph Finger to undertake the job.  He reestablished the punch-bowl green from memory and a few old photos, and even hand-raked the final contours.

2011 - 570 yards - Fazio rebuilt the green once again in 1997, creating a new back-right shelf for a Sunday pin 111 feet from the front and 18 from the right collar.  In 2001, he moved the tee back 20 yards and 10 yards to the right.  The fairway bunker was moved farther down the fairway, doubled in size and deepened, requiring a drive of 315 yards to clear.

Dan's description of the odyssey at the 8th:

"The uphill par-5 eighth has traveled a lot of miles in its 75 years of existence, with its ruin-it-then-fix-it-again evolution representing the closest thing to a genuine architectural fiasco that Augusta National has ever had to endure. Originally built with a uniquely bunkerless, mound-flanked green similar to that in play today, the eighth was emasculated in 1956 when, concerned over spectator viewing and congestion, the club had George Cobb build a new, moundless putting surface which would eventually come to be guarded by bland, strategically insignificant bunkers. The failings of this concept were trumpeted far and wide (including, we are told, by Bobby Jones just as the project was getting started), ultimately resulting in the hiring of Byron Nelson and Joe Finger to rebuild the original green complex, complete with restored mounds and a back left quadrant nearly invisible from the front edge, in 1979.

Inasmuch as the present green can thus be considered “original,” the primary remaining alteration lies in the fairway bunker, which initially was a prominent, centerline hazard before being moved rightward in 1958, then enlarged and relocated once more by Tom Fazio in 2002.  And the precise positioning of this hazard is key, for as Bobby Jones noted shortly after its initial move: “It is important that the ball be kept a bit to the right of center of the fairway…Should [the golfer] play left to avoid the bunker, the player must skirt the trees on the left with his second shot in order to get very near the green.”

During his 2002 work, Fazio also added a tee in close proximity to the 17th green, extending to 570 yards what began life as a semi-reachable 500-yarder upon which those trying to get home in two will, to quote Dr. MacKenzie, “be able to define the position of the green owing to the size of the surrounding hillock.”

Good thing they brought it back.

Better Then or Now?

Theoretically, save for the moving of the old centerline bunker, the present eighth plays very much like the original, with the additional 70 yards of length helping to retain the go-for-it-or-not balance of the 1933 version.  Though the present, quite fascinating putting surface is not truly Jones and MacKenzie’s, it can still be said with reasonable fairness that this, the hole which has seen the most glaring desecration in Augusta’s design history, today plays as close to its original form as nearly any on the golf course."

There have been several mentions of changes made to the course to enhance the spectator experience.  The changes made to the 8th green for those purposes seem to have had the greatest impact on the playing characteristics of a hole.  Begs the question as to the balance of priorities inherent in many of the changes made by Roberts during his time as chairman.

There is little discussion of the narrowing of the playing corridor at the 8th, another hole that has lost a bit of its width due to the encroachment of the tree lines.  One wonders if a center-line bunker would work without a bit of room on either side for a miss.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:22:35 PM by Sven Nilsen »

Sven Nilsen

The April 1, 1957 edition of SI has a Herbert Warren Wind write-up of the changes made that year, including a description of the changes to the green on the 8th:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1132472/index.htm

If you go to pp. 38-41 in the article (click View this Issue), there are a couple of diagrams of the various holes changed that year.

Chris Buie

Consider the very long, angled bunker in the MacKenzie illustration. (The tee is at the bottom) That is a very nice piece of work. Would it not make for a much more interesting set up than the one they currently have?

Sven Nilsen

As noted on another thread, here are Mickelson's comments regarding the changes made this year to the 8th:

“The green on 8 in the front was widened. The hill on the left was softened. So little things. I felt like the back-right pin on 8 was made much more accessible. It’s much flatter, a lot more room there. You can be a bit more aggressive now into that pin.”

Anthony Gray

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

John Kirk

I find it curious that the diagrams never allow for a curving shot.  I see this a calling for an uphill low draw for birdie, a prescribed shot.

Have you seen the golfing exhibitions by Bobby Jones in the early thirties, after he retired?  Perhaps the best thing about these videos was the way Bobby showed you he could work the ball.  It's great golf to ask for a big drive, and then one big draw off the fairway each round.

I've only played two well known punchbowl holes, NGLA and Old Macdonald.  On NGLA , the punchbowl is concave, deep and somewhat geometric.  Conversely, Old Macdonald's 18th green is wildly irregular, and surrounded by hillocks, similar in size to Augusta National's #8 green.

A question to either Tom Doak or Jim Urbina.  Did Mackenzie's execution at Augusta #8 influence how the team approached the punchbowl template?

At the end of the day, punchbowl is a fun way to play the game once a round.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back