GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Willie Tucker Jr.  

<< < (2/2)

Patrick_Mucci:
Mike Cirba,

With the exception of some very early changes, which he might have made to the 8th and 9th holes, and the unfortunate elimination of a spectacular, narrow, well bunkered, kidney shaped green twenty years or so ago, every green is intact.

Ten years ago, Brian Silva redid bunkering on foiur holes, semi-flashed, which are out of context with the previous, flat bottomed, grass sloped bunkers.   And over the years, some neat big bunkers were broken up into several bunker and had their configurations altered.

In the 1970's a landscape architect was brought in and planted without vision, later, many trees had to be removed, some by myself in the dark of night, others suffered a mysterious fate, yet enough survived to narrow the fairways and alter lines of play.  At the present time, a new irrigation system is being installed.  I suggested that the club take the old aerials, and restore the old fairway lines, ridding the course of many trees, but the project chairman, who is not always right, but never in doubt, didn't understand the concept.  He is zero for eleven in club projects, yet they keep using him because he's in the construction business.

Almost every fairway bunker that exists today was put in by various green chairman over the years, and virtually every tee has been enlarged, moved, and/or elevated.  

YET, despite all of this work, the original architecture shines through.  I find playing the course is a pleasurable yet challenging experience but you'll have to judge for yourself next spring when you PLAY with Tom Paul, myself and a high draft pick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version