News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Ristola

Re: 10th At Riviera: For All Its Brilliance...
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2012, 05:54:48 AM »
If I may ask of the treehouse.......first of all, let me say, I love the 10th hole at Rivirera......so that there is no misunderstanding on my question....here goes.

If the 10th was just a golf hole on a higly ranked course, but the course was not a regular, highly regarded tour stop, and therefore most golfers were not able to see the hole played on TV by the best players in the world and you didn't hear all the adulation from the announcers about how great the hole is.......and average golfers just played the hole with out all that knowledge, what would be reaction and feeling about the hole from players that might only play the hole once or twice and had to formulate their opinion based solely on their play.
What I am poorly asking is....are the slopes, green size, etc, toooooo difficult for the average or even good amateur player and could it be that they might not have as highly regarded an opinion of the hole after making and watching playing companions make bogeys and double bogeys and higher on the hole.    I am wondering what the average player thinks about the playability of the hole just based on what they see when they play the hole without all the acclaim and positive commentary.    Based on other holes that I know of that have similar playing characteristics but without TV and commentary, my suspicion is that it might not be so highly regarded....but that is why I am asking such a long a drawn out question.   :)

There was a discussion on a similar topic a few years ago, but about Pinehurst No.2:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,12219.msg205776.html#msg205776

In Poland I built a version of the 10th at Riviera but in reverse. There is water left but doesn't come into play unless you take the direct line and snap hook it badly; it's so far left it doesn't make it in the photo below. There are no greenside bunkers, the green is wider than at Riviera but with more contour, and the front of the green is a radicalized version of the Road Hole with a spine running through its center. The surrounds of the green are cut close, and it's all fescue, so you can play it low from anywhere. From the member tees it plays to 270-yards. The hole gets its share of bitching because of the green, and it doesn't help that the hole comes late in the round (16th) and suspect it won't get any accolades from those visiting the course as being a hole that stands out from the pack.

http://sandvalleygolf.blogspot.com/2009/07/progression-of-16-in-photos.html

Shot from a dune to the right of the tees.

Green as viewed from the front left. The bowl at the front right (difficult to discern) is actually pinnable.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:10:57 AM by Tony Ristola »

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »
In looking at the old picture you can see that the trees on the left just beyond the proper landing area have always been there.  Soon after this picture I think palm trees were added.  I don't remember a barren spot, probaby was just a poorly maintained dirt road which leads to the maintenance area.  As for the green I think it probably always was level or sloping away from the tee.  No doubt the bunker sand has added to that slope some.
For you superintendent types, today's green 2,800 sq. ft.
Lastly, note that the original had a large inviting opening on the right front that you would see from the tee.  Temptation!
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

RJ_Daley

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Here is a photo, presumably by the look, taken not very long after the one Pete supplied, showing the greenside bunkers w/sand added.  Interesting how the large fan bunker isn't as prevalent or noticable as it lay from the view behind.  It actually is hard to tell how the hole is situated in relation to the 9th and back to the tee.  It seems there are many small sappling trees there from one photo to the other, but not where you would think they should be. 

It is also disorienting from Pete's photo how high above the mansions look in that era before tree growth, and the modern era.  It almost looks from this photo like the mansions on the hill were taken down and the hill was cut down 50ft. 

I've only seen the Riv once, but comparison photos of the same hole (the 10th) over the years has me disoriented.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 11:33:50 PM »
Whose idea was it to plant all those trees at Riviera ?

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:56 AM »
Thanks Tony, that is a great looking hole. I must confess I would not have caught them being cousins if you had not said so. you did make a lot of changes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back