News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Just back from four nights at this very cool resort - Hacienda Pinilla on the NW Pacific coast of Costa Rica - and can't say too many good things about what a fun place this is!  Mike has built a really solid course with local labor, on a budget that would be labeled "shoestring" in the States.

The course is very wide because of the windy location on the ocean, but angles into the well-bunkered greens must be found to hit the greens in the right locations.   The bunkers are deep and well placed, creating the most important defense of the greens.   The greens themselves were well-contoured and had some nasty ridges and bumps, but there were some fun sideboards and backstops to play with.

Here are some photos from the crappy new Nikon “Coolpix” I bought to replace the nice little Sony my wife lost somewhere.

Tee shot on #1, nice opener where the tee shot works best with a draw (or Mike’s lefty fade).  That tree on the left should be called “Willie Mays,” it catches everything, including my tee shot both rounds.

Second to #1, big fall off right so a fade works best:

Fuzzy photo of #4, mid length par 4 with a big old Lion’s Mouth bunker.  Nice down hill tee shot,  uphill approach.   This photo was taken from the left edge of the fairway, nice angle to avoid the bunker.

#7, nice par 3 a little downhill with a fall away green and lots of trouble behind.

#8 is a lengthy par 5, mostly uphill, with unusual grass hollows/trenches out in front instead of sand.  I need to ask Mike if these were natural.   Another lousy photo.

Wish I had a photo of #9.  It’s uphill, with a big bunker covering the right half of the fairway.  Another bunker left leaves a very narrow gap for the best tee shot, as the green is elevated and 45* left front to right rear with a big drop off right.   Works sort of like a bottle hole.

#14 brings us to the ocean for the first time, with a lengthy par 5 with another fall off to the right:

#15 is spectacular, a par 3 ranging from 129 to 180 yards, with the back edge of the green the rocks and ocean!

The finishing holes are strong, all with elevated greens and more or less into the prevailing wind.
Hacienda Pinilla was great, with very nice rooms in Spanish-design stucco bungalows at La Posada Hotel.  Breakfast and dinner there poolside were excellent, and the margaritas were better!

Almost forgot to post a photo of the local we met on the cart path on #8, good looking guy.

This place is worth a trip.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:28:36 PM by Bill_McBride »

Anthony Gray

Re: Mike Young's Hacienda Pinilla course in Costa Rica - Muy Bueno!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »
This is your best thread Bill.

Anthony

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
This is your best thread Bill.

Anthony

Better than my Painswick photo tour?

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »
02/02/2012

Mr. J.A. Nikgon, CEO, Esq.
Nikon Camera LLC, Inc, SC,MLP
101 Photogenic Drive
Bumfuk, Asia 1010220

Dear Sir:

Unless you send me $100K post/haste, to my acct in the Cayman Islands, I shall be forced to post many golf photos from interesting and scenic golf courses around the globe, using your "Coolpis" 5 meagerpixel digitul, Kamera.

Yours Very Truly
Billy McBride, Photographer in Residence, GCA.calm

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:18:37 PM »
Thanks, Bill.

From pictures I've seen, I'd say "Gee, that does look like Mike Young's work".  It also reminds me of Paul Cowley's work.  I like very much.

Peter

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
Well done Bill. Mike I wish I would be down there to see your fine work down there in a few months.

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:57 PM »
Bill no mention of the 10th?  A unique and I think good hole.

Wish I had known you were going to be there.  An old friend runs a small hotel and restaurant in Tamarindo.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jason Topp

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »
Bill:

Tell us a bit about the area.   I have always heard Costa Rica is a fun destination but do not know much about it.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:19:29 PM »
Bill no mention of the 10th?  A unique and I think good hole.

Wish I had known you were going to be there.  An old friend runs a small hotel and restaurant in Tamarindo.

You've played the 10th?   I'm still hoping to make a par some day.   I was dying to play a PW off that huge back stop and was short the first day and hit a wicked double cross the second round.  

The hole is a 307 yard par 4 where you drive up hill to a plateau and hit a pitch to a wildly sloped green.   Very fun.  

We spent our no golf day in Tamarindo, a very low class, typical beach town with one street of shops that all sold the same crap.  

Ticos have learned that Americans will pay crazy prices just because the country is so lovely.  

Would like to have met your buddy.  A Bruin?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:42:10 PM by Bill_McBride »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 10:25:25 PM »
Bill:

Tell us a bit about the area.   I have always heard Costa Rica is a fun destination but do not know much about it.

Jason, we loved the people down there who worked at the resort.   Wonderful friendly people who called me "Señor Bill" and worked on my Spanish the whole time we were there.   Embrazos on departure.    All that we really saw of the country was the seaside village of Tamarindo (see above post).   I have seen that village in several third world countries, from the Phillipines to Mexico.    We spent most our time (three full days) playing golf and eating/drinking, both to excess.   

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:50 PM »
First, how much did Mike pay you for this?
Second, thanks for being a worse cameraman than me!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »

I'm shocked by your first statement, amused by the second.  Bwithout seeing any of your photos I agree!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 07:45:30 PM »

I'm shocked by your first statement, amused by the second.  Bwithout seeing any of your photos I agree!

You gave me hell about my picture at Trump with the cart path. :D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »

At least it was in focus!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 07:53:01 PM »

At least it was in focus!

I use my Android, it does all the work for me.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Sam friends do not let friends play Trump courses.   Do not be that guy! lol

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:20 AM »
Sam friends do not let friends play Trump courses.   Do not be that guy! lol

When I got to 18 and there wasn't a waterfall I felt jipped.

ChipRoyce

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Bill:

Jason, we loved the people down there who worked at the resort.   Wonderful friendly people who called me "Señor Bill" and worked on my Spanish the whole time we were there.   Embrazos on departure.    All that we really saw of the country was the seaside village of Tamarindo (see above post).   I have seen that village in several third world countries, from the Phillipines to Mexico.    We spent most our time (three full days) playing golf and eating/drinking, both to excess.   

To echo Bill's comments - this is a really neat part of the world. My wife and I traveled to Tamarindo last June for our 15th anniversary. Didn't bring the sticks but its a 15 min drive to Hacienda Panilla resort for golf so you don't have to stay on the property.
Tamarindo and surrounding area is really neat; heavy focus on surfing and eco tourism (nearby rain forests, hiking, canoeing). Lots of private homes & condos to choose from and a few decent restaurants.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »
We spent our no golf day in Tamarindo, a very low class, typical beach town with one street of shops that all sold the same crap.  

Right up my alley.  I need to contact Lynn's friend to see if that's an option in my exit strategy.  Do they need English speaking caddies at HP?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:15 PM »
Bill shoots like Anthony spells.

I'll be in Costa Tica for three weeks in March/April, but I'll have 13 students wif me, so no hope of playing any golf.

Golf in CR is a complete tourist thang. The country club in San Jose (capital) called Cariari (http://www.clubcariari.com/) has, I believe, the only skating rink in the country.

You go to Costa Rica for rafting, canopy (zipline), coffee (Doka is my favorite plantation), volcanoes (love Irazu, with its ash slide), surfing, eco and other things besides golf, at least I do. I'd love to sample some golf when I'm not on the clock.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike_Young

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 08:50:05 AM »
Bill shoots like Anthony spells.

I'll be in Costa Tica for three weeks in March/April, but I'll have 13 students wif me, so no hope of playing any golf.

Golf in CR is a complete tourist thang. The country club in San Jose (capital) called Cariari (http://www.clubcariari.com/) has, I believe, the only skating rink in the country.

You go to Costa Rica for rafting, canopy (zipline), coffee (Doka is my favorite plantation), volcanoes (love Irazu, with its ash slide), surfing, eco and other things besides golf, at least I do. I'd love to sample some golf when I'm not on the clock.

Ronald,
The economy is a "tourist thang" in Costa Rica.  Rafting, ziplines, surfing, eco(a complete joke there) are all part of the "tourist thang".
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 03:06:03 PM »
Mike please explain why eco tourism is a complete joke there.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 04:30:07 PM »
Yeah, Mike, I'd like to know, too. 25% of the country is designated national park/untouchable. Wind farms account for 10% of the nation's energy.

The joke, I think, is that the husbands go for the golf and the wife and kids go to the eco tourist stuff. They might come once for eco tourism, but they need golf to get people back.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 04:48:49 PM »
Tiger and Ronald,
Eco Tourism is merely a marketing hype job.  It's not to say that the ecological areas are not nice green areas but the much of what goes on there would offset and "green" practices that were implemented.  I have been going there for over 15 years and the last 10 on a monthly basis.  I've seen the hype and things such as them telling people that 10% of the power comes from wind is just plain wrong.  The project we have there is the largest residential resort project in the country and sometimes it is funny what they will tell you regarding "green".  I doubt if .01 percent comes from wind but again it helps with marketing.  Next time you are int one of the eco areas check out how they dispose of sewage and where they place their trash.  Have any of you ever seen the garbage dumps on Costa Rica.  Or have any of you ever considered how they remove trash since they don't have scheduled garbage service.  Or how about how they discard tires or dispense gasoline.  Or haow about how efficient their electrical quads are?  They will build a nice little wooden hotel in a nice green rainforest and tourist will be feeling "green" while their waste is floating down a creek on the backside of the property and the paper from preparing  their last few meals is thrown in a pit out back.  They just aren't there. ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
So if one were staying at the Westin about 30km up the coast, how easy or hard is it to get to this course? Looks and sounds like a blast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back