News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

"Golf Courses of the British Isles" TV series
« on: December 12, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
I found the following promotion for a series on YouTube.   Anybody know more about this series and where it's going to be shown?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=IeDlsOWJmFE

I would happily devote quite a bit of time to such a program.

David_Tepper

Re: "Golf Courses of the British Isles" TV series
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:07 PM »
Bill -

Thanks for the heads up. Here is a link to the Landmark website:

http://www.lmmp.tv/

DT
tcmnav@aol.com

Andy Stamm

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:23:49 PM »
Wow! I'm very excited. 13 30 minute episodes in HD. And the list of courses on the website is unbelievable. I can't wait.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:36:21 PM »
It will be interesting to see which courses are featured.

Andy Stamm

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 09:00:07 PM »
Andy Stamm -

Thanks for the link. I did not see page 2 the first time around.
Some fairly obscure names (Barnton, Otway, Northwood & Royal Cromer) on that roster. I will be interested to see what those courses look like.

DT
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:02:20 PM by David_Tepper »

Andy Stamm

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »
Andy Stamm -

Thanks for the link. I did not see page 2 the first time around.
Some fairly obscure names (Barnton, Otway, Northwood & Royal Cromer) on that roster. I will be interested to see what those courses look like.

DT

I'm giddy just thinking about it. Some inland, lots of links. Some real favorites of mine like Westward Ho!. Plus Southerndown, which is interesting as well as the ones you mentioned. Plus, they haven't even announced the hidden gems!

I wish they'd cover some of the island courses like Jersey or Guernsey, those are plenty hidden.

Craig Disher

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »
Very nice photo of Littlestone's 16th. Peter Mallalieu and I met with a couple of the Landmark people working on the project last summer and talked about MacKenzie and the course. The company's goal was to show all the courses in Golf Courses of the British Isles.
The trailer looks like they were successful. Out in 2012 apparently.

http://landmarkmediaproductions.com/Programs.html
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:41:45 PM by Craig Disher »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
Very nice photo of Littlestone's 16th. Peter Mallalieu and I met with a couple of the Landmark people working on the project last summer and talked about MacKenzie and the course. The company's goal was to show all the courses in Golf Courses of the British Isles.
The trailer looks like they were successful. Out in 2012 apparently.

http://landmarkmediaproductions.com/Programs.html

I haven't counted, but I think there are a lot more than 60 courses in the book!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »
Bill and David, Well done. That looks great for those of us that struggle with the tv generation versus the reading generation.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:38:01 PM »
Am drooling!

Another great catch guys.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:45 AM »
Good find thanks Bill

I wonder if the two courses in St Andrews are the least changed since Darwin's first edition in 1908?   It will be interesting to see if change is part of the narrative?  Will they morn all the great lost blind holes like Darwin did?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:37:40 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

David Kelly

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
I wonder if the series has actually been produced or if Landmark only has the sizzle reel done and is looking for buyers before putting the whole thing into production?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Craig Disher

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 12:38:55 PM »
I wonder if the series has actually been produced or if Landmark only has the sizzle reel done and is looking for buyers before putting the whole thing into production?

My understanding is that the series is finished and they are now working to land a tv outlet.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
"This episode will come more into focus as we continue shooting for the series."

This was taking from the one sheet on the webpage. It obviously implies that shooting has begun, but isn't finished. It could easily be old so that the shooting is now done, but it strongly suggests that shooting has at least started. That is unless they're counting only shooting the trailer.

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 02:07:53 PM »
Not really adding anything but speculation...from my quick internet search it looks like they are trying to land a TV deal and have nothing as of yet.  I would be amazed if this comes out in 2012. 

I feel a bit stalkerish but they have a facebook page and neither of the two guys in the lead have golf listed as one of the interests.  Not saying being a golfer is a requirement to produce/film great entertainment about but I hope they hire people who are golf fanatics.

As a side their facebook page photo has a photo of a golf cart in a bunker.  On the wall they talk about how it happened...one of the guys was driving from green to tee and saw a mound.  He realized shortly after it wasn't a mound.

Kin Britton

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2011, 08:29:43 PM »
Can't wait.  as the old ads use to say...this will be "must see tv".  If the promo is any indication, the camera work will be top notch. 

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 12:14:29 AM »

Bill,

Thank you so much for posting this. Based on what I have seen of other English documenaries, this should be outstanding and on a topic we could dwell on at length! I cannot wait to see it.

Bob J.

Michael Watts

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
Being new to this forum I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. As the Executive Producer of "The Golf Courses of the British Isles" I also want to thank you all for your excitement about the project.

A quick note about me.  I'm a 20-year veteran of CNN, most recently as a supervising producer with "Larry King Live."  After that show ended, I decided to partner up with my longtime friend and former CNN colleague Peter Hartogs and form a production company.  This show is the first of what we hope will be many golf-themed productions.

We are laying the groundwork for an innovative and unprecedented series.  By replacing Rountree's watercolors from the book with HD cinematography, and using Darwin's text as our narrative, we aim to create a series for the ages.  We'll add analysis and share compelling stories, but we really want this to be a celebration of great writing and great courses.

We are currently taking applications for sponsorship, and trying to determine the right broadcast partners. Once that’s settled we will begin full-scale production.  Our objective is to partner with those who can maximize the series' distribution to all corners of the golf world. If you have thoughts in that regard we would love your input. 

I've had a longtime interest in golf course architecture.  Like many of you, I will drive down a road, see an open spot, and imagine golf holes filling that land.  I draw at about the level of a 3-year-old, so rarely has that imagination left my head, but I've been told I can produce decent television so I think this is a way for me to express my love for the game and the places it's played.

Despite my long-term interest and volumes of books read on the subject, you all know a great deal more about this than I do, so I would appreciate your input as we move forward with production, and from time to time would enjoy throwing out questions related to the series for discussion.

I'm thrilled to be part of this group and look forward to engaging in some fun and enlightening conversations.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 05:56:34 PM »
This could be something extra special.  Good luck, Michael. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Kelly

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »

It looks like I was right. 

Michael, Good luck with your project. Has The Golf Channel shown any interest?  It would seem a natural for them but they have never shown much interest in programming shows about golf architecture.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Michael Watts

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »
Thanks David.  We're in the process of approaching TGC.  Your right, it is a little bit different from their standard programming, but our hope is they look at the success of ESPN Films and see a documentary style program like this will find an audience and, for them, could be a profitable venture.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:01 AM »
This is obviously a " must see ". Thanks for the info.
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

David Kelly

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
Michael,

I thought that there would be more questions but here's another one from me.  I saw the tremendous course list that you will be covering.  Have you approached all the clubs about filming already and 1) how difficult is it to get permission to film and 2) how much time will the filming take on a particular course?

Martin Toal

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 02:10:51 AM »
Michael

Obviously this would be of interest to those of us in the UK too. Have you considered approaching Sky Sports?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back