News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Federman

Downingtown Country Club
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:03:14 PM »
Given the large contingent of Philly folks on this site, I wanted to give a huge shout-out to this really fine track. We played this past Friday morning. It was unseasonably warm at 70 degrees, and the course was soggy from Thursday's rain and the heavy humidity. First, it is a great walking course and they have pull-carts available. On Friday, I would say it was split 50-50 walkers/riders.  We walked and played the course at the blue tees - 6200 yards. (The white or member tees play to 5700 yards and the back tees are set at about 6600) However, it plays longer than the card and with the soggy conditions, the 6200 was really equivalent to 6600. This is a 1962 George Fazio design with great green complexes, deep bunkering, elevation changes, and ponds and creeks well-placed. Although the fairways were soft, the greens were not and ran incredibly fast. Most of the greens slope steeply from back to front with a lot of contours. Being above the hole is not where one wants to be on this course.

There is a good variety of long and short par 4s and 3s. The par 5s were shortish on the card, but played significantly longer, with, I think, three steeply uphill climbs to the greens, which were well-guarded by side bunkering. Uniformly, the greens were open in front, although with their steep slopes from back to front, run up shots were not easy.

My only complaint on Friday, was the softness which,  made it a long slog. I would love to go back when the fairways are really running. The course was in great shape and pace of play was excellent - we teed off at 8:45 and finished in 3 1/2 hours!
With Jaworski now the owner and operator of the course, there is nothing to keep this course from becoming one of the best public tracks in the area. It was the first time I played this course, but I will be going back. It was fun, challenging golf, pure and simple.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:14:46 AM by David Federman »

JJShanley

Re: Downingtown Country Club
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
I played here with my father in April 2009, back when I lived in West Chester.  We both enjoyed our day out there, and our dinner at Victory afterwards!  I even found a Wilson headcover for my 8802 in the proshop.  I don't remember much about the course, other than that I enjoyed it.

Chris Mavros

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 06:11:02 PM »
Downingtown has considerably improved in the last few years, in terms of conditions.  It's a great walkable course with a lot of variety.  I think the bunkering is terrific as well.  Glad you enjoyed it and I agree it's one of the better public options in the Philadelphia area. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
I certainly enjoy it. 

Some photos from this season:

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/albums/Downingtown/
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JJShanley

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
Although I'll say this: it gave me one of the less visually attractive logo ball markers in my collection.  Clipart stuff.

David Federman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
Great photo album (as usual), Joe. Thanks for posting.

Michael Blake

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
Late 90's I used to play there probably once a week.  Haven't played it in a few years.  Maybe next season.

I really liked the first 12 holes.

Liked the variety of the back 9 with three 3's, three 4's, & three 5's.

Fun short par 4's---#'s 4, 5, & 10.  Seeing the hole location from the tee on #5 determined my club selection. Center or left, fairway wood down middle/right.  Right hole, driver down left side (left of bunkers in rough.)

Didn't like teeing off on #1 in morning (directly east into sun.)
Same with #18 in late afternoon (directly west into setting sun.)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 03:00:30 PM »
FYI - It's now part of the Jaws golf empire.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »
While the (walking) rates may be a bit steep, the golf course is pretty strong in my opinion. The routing is pretty good and the bunker work is also admirable.

The front side has a few less trees from what I can recall, and offers a bit more in variety, but the back nine is nothing to turn your nose up at either.

mike_malone

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
Dave,
I'm glad you had fun. I think I posted on here last year that DCC proves the quality of Philly golf by flying under the radar.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back