News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Courses you need to see again because you hacked it around so badly
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
Well I guess I'll post up the requisite epic course....Cypress Point.

I wasn't playing too bad until I came to 16.  Took a 7 after putting two in the ocean. I really think I need another crack at it!!   ;D

Jim Tang

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Royal County Down.

My clubs were lost on the flight over so I had a rental set and was wearing borrowed golf shoes.  I was worried my clubs were lost forever and my 10 day trip to Ireland would be ruined (they showed up later the afternoon).  I managed to par the first hole, which is probably the easiest on the course.

As I approached the 2nd tee I noticed RCD was hiding something behind her back.  What was it?  A sledgehammer, which was applied liberally for the remainder of the round.

All the blind shots, the demanding tee balls and the beautiful surroundings were just too much to take in with one round.  I need to get back to RCD.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2011, 12:52:12 PM »
Harris, since you have not been back, I am assuming that a member invited you, and you were his partner in a match?

HAHAHA. No, it was a charity event I played in with Matt Bosela. It was a team better ball, so I can imagine my friends leaving me off the invite list should the opportunity to play in that comes again.

Harris Nepon

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »
Easy answer for me.

Oakmont - as a 3 handicapp I went out and shot 115. Mind you I can still remember everyone of the 115 shots I took 5 years later on what became my favourite course ever played, but I hold out hope that I will one day return and tame my oakmont demons.

Don't forget to mention that you took an 11 on the 3rd hole without even hitting a putt, picking up before you reached the green!  It was our first hole of the day (shotgun event) - talk about a "Welcome to Oakmont" moment!!

I really wanted to take in the whole "church pews" experience.

Doug Wright

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
Royal Dornoch. I managed to find trouble--gorse, bunkers, whatever, and almost always just by a hair--and got frustrated. Not my MO, and I regret missing an opportunity to appreciate this great course more. Really hope I can get back there. Runner-up, Royal Aberdeen back nine on same trip. Into the wind, very tough and didn't handle it well.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Frank M

« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I played the National GC of Canada (George and Tom Fazio) for the first time this year, a course some rate as the best in our country.

I finally got the opportunity to play the day after our three-day member-guest tournament so I may have been a bit wiped out but I can't remember ever being so defeated on a golf course before - I shot 14 strokes over my handicap, went through two sleeves of balls and walked away thinking that the course was just entirely too penal off the tee and had no real strategic merit.

I'd definitely like another chance to see what I missed the first time around.

I had a similar experience the first time I played Pacific Dunes.  GCA'ers David Elvins, Jed Peters and Brad Kane were witnesses the day I didn't make my first par until the 8th hole and barely broke 50 on the front nine.  It's hard to appreciate the great architecture when you are rolling shots off every tee.

Thankfully, I did get the chance to play another round at PD during my stay and had a lot more time to enjoy the experience during a five-birdie round at the 2011 King's Putter.  

Matt,

I don't think it has anything to do with you being tired. The National is all penal golf.

It has little strategic merit and is very one dimensional. It doesn't mean the course is not worthy of being a Top 10 or does not have some world class holes, but it definitely isn't #1 in Canada...you just can't have 18 holes where the goal is to make the hole as penal as possible.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 10:20:05 PM by Frank Mastroianni »

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
Easy answer for me.

Oakmont - as a 3 handicapp I went out and shot 115. Mind you I can still remember everyone of the 115 shots I took 5 years later on what became my favourite course ever played, but I hold out hope that I will one day return and tame my oakmont demons.

Now that's what I call a hacking! 

None of this "I limped around to an 84" crap.  Having played with Harris this summer, that's not a vanity handicap, so something must have just gone horribly wrong that day. 

Alas, it happens to us all when we get intimidated by the "name" of the course, rather than the actual shots.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2011, 10:06:02 AM »
I have developed the ability to take "hack" to a whole nutha level.  I'm questioning whether I should participate in future Kings Putters or Dixie Cups unless I commit to improvement.   That said, I so loved Shinnecock Hills and Peachtree Golf Club notwithstanding the fact that I couldn't salvage a par on the entire properties.  I felt like I let both golf courses down.

Bogey (or worse)
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Norbert P

« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »
  . . .    I felt like I let both golf courses down.

Bogey

I empathise, Mr. Hendren. I get the same feeling on hallowed grounds. Or, when I hire a caddy, I upset two people.

Courses I'd like to revisit as a better player . . .

Royal Dornoch   Green(s) in regulation?  I should remember them (it?)as it was a very rare event, indeed.
   Sand Hills      Would love to play it with a better "I'm worthy" attitude. 1st Private I ever played on.
                                         Great GCA group and benefactor, though.
   Prestwick      I'd read that it was antiquated, quirky and historic.  They don't tell you that it's still a tough test of golf.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
My 94 at The Old Course included a 9 on #14, with a rather lengthy stay in Hell Bunker, plus many, many bogeys. But it also featured an eagle at #9, a deuce on #11 and a par on The Road Hole, so all things considered, I have no idea if I would celebrate or regret a replay.

My two rounds at Pebble Beach both ended with hooked drives into the drink on 18. I would definitely like a third crack at that shot.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Steve Salmen

« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
Ditto Kyle.

I'd be ecstatic to get another crack at #16 where I also made 7.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back