News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Gray

Re: The Close House Colt
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 06:51:05 AM »
Just felt this deserved to be bumped.  :)
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
That's amazingly timely, Paul. Just this weekend past, I finally got round to purchasing Scott's old course evolution book, played a round with him earlier this year at north berwick with tony m and Niall c and am meeting up with the fly-boy in a few days time in Florida! Been another good year in the FBD golfing annals...
nice,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 11:56:15 AM »
I hope to visit next year whilst playing at Northumberland in the Logan Trophy.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for bumping this thread. Close House is doing well and I see in Tom Doak's Confidential Guide that he has it on his list of UK courses that he most wants to visit next.

The Club will be making some exciting announcements in the next couple of weeks.... stay tuned.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:58:47 PM by Scott Macpherson »

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »
Hey Scott,
Any chat/update on The Filly?
Cheers,
M.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »
Hi Martin,

I was commissioned in late 2012 to redesign the The Filly course. Work started about February 2013 and the course was reopened in July 2013. Two new greens were added (1 and 7), as well as lakes, bunkers and tees. The course is similar to what the University used from the 70s to about 2006, when two new holes were added by the current owner (holes seven and eight). I provided the plan for these holes but the club did the work in-house. The new renovation was aimed to create returning nines as this course is open to both members and for pay-and play. The changes have proved popular and many corporate days are now played on this course – which has taken quite a lot of pressure off the championship Colt Course.

Being beside the River Tyne, the course drains very well and, with a south facing aspect, is one of the last courses in the area to close when it becomes frosty.

The course now has a solid start and strong back nine – particularly the finishing holes 15, 16, 17 and 18.

Attached is the plan of the course. Note: the clubhouse indicated on the plan is also the clubhouse for The Colt course, which is located to the west and north.

Scott

Josh Stevens

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 06:34:32 AM »
Looks rather nice - plenty of width, some nice rolling terrain

Soil looks rather heavy, how will it drain

But I hate the sand, it looks horrid.  Bunkers look decent, but why that horrid white crap?  Cant they find some decent brown sand?

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 07:37:50 AM »
Colt Course : Diary Entry.

Yesterday (26th November, 2014) Golf Monthly magazine in the UK ranked The Colt Course at Close House inside the Top 100 courses in the UK. Admittedly they only squeaked in, but they are a 'New Entry' at number 100, and are also the only course in Northumberland inside the top 100. As you can imagine, the owners and staff at Close House are delighted their facility is gaining some attention, as am I.

Close House have aspirations to hold professional competitions, and soon there will be an announcement in this regard.

Scott

Paul Gray

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »

Close House have aspirations to hold professional competitions, and soon there will be an announcement in this regard.

Scott

So the plan is to ruin it?  ;D
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2014, 12:25:20 PM »
I agree, the white sand doesn't fit.

Paul Gray

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Scott,

Do you think you could ask the club to sort the website out for us geeks? We don't need pictures of Lee Westwood. A hole by hole guide and a scorecard please.

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 04:57:56 AM »
Hi Paul,

The website did feature hole-by-hole plans, but the club like to keep updating and refreshing their website and the latest version of the hole-by-hole guide can be found on this link:

www.closehouse.com/golf/colt-course-guide

Josh, Brett,

On what personal experience are you judging the colour of the sand? From a course visit, from looking at the aerial plan or from the course photos?

Scott

Mark Pearce

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 06:46:18 AM »
I've played the course a handful of times.  I had never noticed the colour of the sand until it was mentioned on this thread.  On the ground I don't see it as an issue.

Paul Gray

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
Hi Paul,

The website did feature hole-by-hole plans, but the club like to keep updating and refreshing their website and the latest version of the hole-by-hole guide can be found on this link:

www.closehouse.com/golf/colt-course-guide

Well tell them to stop it and add a proper tour with course guide etc.  ;D

Probably just a personal thing but I'm always sceptical about a website which offers a gallery instead of something more substantive.

Thanks for the link.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:26:40 PM by Paul Gray »

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:25 PM »
Scott,  I have not played Close House, nor reviewed it's website.  The "white sand" comment was based on the pictures posted at the start of this thread, which as I looked again, appear very "white".  As I looked at the course website and their pictures, the sand is more tan/subdued and not white. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2014, 07:48:39 AM »
Probably just a personal thing but I'm always sceptical about a website which offers a gallery instead of something more substantive.

Really?

I'd rather have a few really good photographs to whet my appetite and to inspire me to discover the course for myself than an exhaustive hole by hole tour featuring dull pictures and 'pro's tips'.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 07:55:30 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Paul Gray

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2014, 05:25:20 PM »

Really?

I'd rather have a few really good photographs to whet my appetite and to inspire me to discover the course for myself than an exhaustive hole by hole tour featuring dull pictures and 'pro's tips'.

Like I said, probably just a personal thing. But, yes, whilst the 'pro's tips' do nothing for me, I can spend days geeking over a hole by hole photo tour.

I'm suspicious of those that only want to show a few isolated candy shots. Following completely unscientific research, I'd suggest it's more common amongst lesser courses.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:27:52 PM by Paul Gray »

Brett Wiesley

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
I'd go further with the dissatisfaction with a gallery of photos, as they usually contain photos of vistas, local animals, sunsets and worst of all off angle shots that confuse the golfer about which direction the hole goes.  Funny, even after playing the course, those photos can be unrecognizable even then.  I like hole by hole, and extra gallery is nice as an extra.

One of my favorites is here at Red Ledges in Utah
http://www.redledges.com/golf/
The golfer hitting off the rock ledge tee is actually hitting in the opposite direction of the hole (par 3 #9)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back