News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River
« on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:15 PM »

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I am again looking to organize a weekend get together at Dismal and you are invited. It is my hope that the 2012 5th Major will bring together a great group of GCAers and friends for a smashing weekend of golf, fun and fellowship. The recent outing this past July was just that and you can read more about it here: www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47746.0.html

We'll also have the opportunity to explore the new course(!) on the property by Renaissance Golf Design, which is now under construction. This added treat should whet the appetite of any student of golf course architecture.

The dates for 2012 are Friday, June 29 to Sunday, July 1.

The weekend will be something along the lines of:

Friday, 6/29 --Tournament rounds begin with tee times starting around 8am, playing three 9 hole matches.

Saturday, 6/30 -- Following breakfast we'll play two more 9 hole matches (Shotgun start). Division Winners will playoff for the Trophy.

The afternoon will be open to play more golf and/or explore DR No.2 with Tom Doak scheduled to be on site as well.

Sunday, 7/1 -- Tour the new course and/or play more golf before departure.

We have a full field of 60 players. 5 flight of six teams each.

FRIDAY MORNING TEE TIMES:

8:45 WATTS URBAN WEILER PLUMART
 9:00 HOGAN CHRISTENSEN LYON SMITH
 9:15 DENNY GRAHAM WELLMON SHAIDA

9:30 CONA BIONDI WEGRYN MARK
10:00 FAIREY WHITAKER D.GEORGE LICATA
10:15 WALSTON R.HENDREN PILCHER SCHUENEMAN

10:30 BROWN SIEBERT CARLSON KREUGER
10:45 KAVANAUGH LEWIS BARTNICK HAYDEN
11:00 M.GEORGE LEPP STOLL KAPPELL

11:15 FEINBERG SMOLENS SOLDAN DAVIS
11:30 LEWIS MORROW BOSELA KEARNS
11:45 BUCKNER GRUHL MAHAFFEY MAHAFFEY

12:00 SANTODOMINGO CHOI SHEEHY SPIVEY
12:15 STAVRIDES M.HENDREN DENIGRIS HAMILTON
12:30 SEILER SULLIVAN HERRICK CAHILL
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 09:14:35 AM by Eric Smith »

Mark Saltzman

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River (June 29-July 1)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
Eric,

Mr. Saltzman?  That's a lot of respect you're showing to a nobody, golf-bum like me.

In.

Michael George

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »

Mark:

After your itenerary this year, I will be calling you Mr. Saltzman for the rest of 2011.  2012 that goes away.

Thanks for the great pictures.

Likewise, in.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

RJ_Daley

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
Eric, for my own part, it wasn't that I didn't notice the pre-planning and run-up you so carefully planned last year at DR.  I simply wasn't able to participate for a variety of reasons.  It was fun to follow the threads and the reports on the progress of the gathering, many of the participants I have previously known.  I'd love to do it next year.  But for my part, that is just too far off to commit to now.  

I did finally go out there last week and Chris gave me the cooks tour.  Whirling Dervish to be sure...  ;D

I obviously followed the DR posts over the last few years, and had a very good idea what to expect when I finally got to see it in person.  It was still jaw dropping, despite all the thread previews.  I still can't get my head around what astonishing infra-structure is out there, including the guest facilities.  The cook's tour included the kitchen... wow!   My photos are not too impressive.  I'll see if I can pick out anything that will add to the previously posted material, but probably only the most recent view of the grow-in might be an eye opener from what already has been highlighted.  I wonder what the record is for such a speedy grow-in from hydro seed?  Now, if they can follow through with protecting against the winter, what they have the jump on this fall and going into next year's full course finishing schedule... it will just be extraordinary.  It sounds like they have all the bases covered, along with the new green turf to cover for winter.

The original course will be quite up to expectations, as it was last year, for the gatherings official play, with high thrill factor on the fun-o-meter.  I suspect Chris will probably allow some preview play on the yet to be completed Doak course by those 2012 dates.  But, if this year's progress is any guide, it may be surprisingly advanced, but obviously not truly competive-playable mature.  Of course, playing on any stage of grow-in surface of a great course, is a fun day with our crowd... ;) ;D

It certainly is an opportunity for serious GCA followers, lurkers, associates, and golf thrill seekers.  
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »
Eric,

It is my understanding that Mark has the JD. So why are you diss'n him with Mr. That should be Dr. Saltzman to you!

Dr. Bayley
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:04:09 PM »
Eric,

I'm at least 90% sure to make this event!  Should be a bucket of fun.

Kalen

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:01 PM »
Eric,

It is my understanding that Mark has the JD. So why are you diss'n him with Mr. That should be Dr. Saltzman to you!

Dr. Bayley

Although the ABA does allow for us JD's to be called Dr., we are generally more modest than you Ph.D.s.  We'll call him Mr. Saltzman, esq.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

JC Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
Eric,

I was under the impression you would be paying me the $100 upon my commitment.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:12:17 PM »
Mr. Saltzman Mark,

I'm bummed we missed each other the other day, but am happy to know you're coming back to Nebraska. This time we will actually play a round together!

Dick,

Happy to read that you made it to Dismal. Yours is an opinion I've very much looked fwd to hearing. I'll keep my fingers crossed we'll see you in late June!

Kalen and Garland,

There's a team right there! IN!!

Michael,

Happy to know you're going to get out there as well, though I hope to see you sometime before then up your way, possibly next spring!

JC,

I changed my mind. You and me together? Forget about it...not enough Guinness in the state. ;) ;D

Garland Bayley

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:27:58 PM »
Eric,

Kalen

That's OK as long as you are at least 90% sure to be at KP earlier in June. If you aren't, then you are just avoiding me.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
Eric,

Kalen

That's OK as long as you are at least 90% sure to be at KP earlier in June. If you aren't, then you are just avoiding me.

KP is about 95% at the moment.  Pretty darn sure I'll be to make both of these events next year.

Michael George

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »

Thanks Eric.

I have a quick tour of northeast Ohio courses for you when you get time next spring.  Problem is whether stinks here until later in May.  Maybe we can organize a gca outing around it.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
MG,

Whatever it is and whenever it is, I'm in. Thanks. As an aside, I'd love to get your fellow Ohioans Brian Laurent and Jonathan Becker to play a GCA death match for $$$. Those guys are good.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Esq - There will be plenty of Guinness. 

Hope we have to stock up on the Patron as well.

This is a fun event for all!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
  I know that fellow members Mac, JK, and Mr. Hendren (Defending Co-Champ with Mr. Saltzman!) will be participating as well and I'm looking forward to seeing all of them again.

Nice to see a Hendren referred to as a champion.  With that spelling we've got to be related. 

Eric, I hope to participate and look forward to registration instructions.  This is a very generous offer from you, Chris and your fellow members. 

Bogey Hendren
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mac Plumart

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
 In.  Of course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:56 PM »
Eric,

Dr. Bayley

In Canada a law degree is traditionally undergraduate, some schools switched to JD for the US market.  My old man graduated in the 50s, and he was simply Barrister at Law or something - then about 40 years later they gave everyone from his school (Osgoode) an LLB.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 07:51:40 AM »

What"s every body wearing?

Anthony

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:25 PM »

What"s every body wearing?

Anthony

Barrister Saltzman will be wearing a white wig and a black ankle length "kilt". ;)

Terry Lavin

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
If he's dressing like a barrister, I'll wear my judicial robe!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Frank M

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 07:05:01 PM »
Eric,

I really want to say yes right now, but I can't be 100% sure at this point.

If there is a maybe list, please put me on it for two people and as I can confirm I will let you know...of course...I understand if it is too late at that time.

FM

Eric Smith

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
Judge Lavin,

We'd be honored your honor to have you out for the weekend. Pack the robe!

Frank,

Of course we're way out right now, so you're fine with the soft commit. I look forward to seeing this thing shape up over the winter and spring where Chris really will have to think about breaking out his yurt for the weekend, since he offered up his palace for overflow. 8)

Mark Johnson

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 10:10:05 PM »
In contingent on Minnesota amateur qualifying schedule.  Will pass if the best course for my game (eg big fairways small greens) is holding qualifying July 1. 

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »
If he's dressing like a barrister, I'll wear my judicial robe!

I'll be sure to show up dressed like a solicitor.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 08:32:23 AM »
Eric,

Sounds like a superb outing! I'm in if I can clear a project I've committed to that should finish just prior to those dates. It will be nice to see all the efforts by Chris, TD and the rest of the posse at DR.

Let me know when the deposit is due.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back