News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JNC Lyon

Re: 2012 5th Major at Dismal River (June 29-July 1)
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 10:13:35 AM »
I'm a big Taylor fan, but more generally, I'm a big country fan, which, in many ways, is very close to 70s Southern rock.  As for the Trump National comparison, well, I guess T-Swift is a bit of a guilty pleasure.  Maybe a good thread idea!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Michael George

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »

Listen, I get it.  I like country music also.  BTW - my guilty listening (and looking) pleasure is Katy Perry.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Eric Smith

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Ok fellas. Sock it to me. You can now officially register for next year's event.

Go to 5thmajor.com , click on Register Here and follow the instructions.

Over 30 players thus far have indicated they are coming out next summer. A heckuva good start!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »
...and I enjoy 17-mile sand entrance roads.  I'll be in touch.

Moo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRLFqELHXs

Those attending please be aware that a GPS device is required for the entrance road lest you be tempted to turn off on a cow path.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 06:19:54 PM »
That's the problem sometimes with GPS, Garland. The damn Garmin took us that way!

I learned this last time with Kavanaugh that when coming from Denver you need to go a bit further east on the interstate to North Platte, then reprogram to Dismal from there. The paved drive is a lot less stressful, but it is by no means a piece of cake either!

Daryn_Soldan

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »
What's wrong with cow paths??? I'm guessing I can point the truck north and make it up from central Kansas on nothing but cow paths and the odd gravel road :)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »
I wish I still had my FJ.  I could mke my own trail in!!  :P

Sam Morrow

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 12:02:12 AM »
If I change my mind and drive to 5th Major next year will I need to rent an SUV to get there or will a regular car get through with no problems?

Eric Smith

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 12:15:15 AM »
If I change my mind and drive to 5th Major next year will I need to rent an SUV to get there or will a regular car get through with no problems?

Sam,

Any car will get you there. The paved drive is one lane most of the way, so there are a couple of spots where you reach the top of a hill and will want to approach cautiously, anticipating any oncoming vehicles on the other side. The pavement widens as well at these points to help in this regard.

Glad you're coming. Hope the rest of your trip lines up as well. :)

Sam Morrow

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »

Sam,

Any car will get you there. The paved drive is one lane most of the way, so there are a couple of spots where you reach the top of a hill and will want to approach cautiously, anticipating any oncoming vehicles on the other side. The pavement widens as well at these points to help in this regard.

Glad you're coming. Hope the rest of your trip lines up as well. :)

Like I said last night, I am not going to do to much until yalls hijinks take shape and then plan.

Eric Smith

« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 12:30:20 AM »
Who knows? A couple of friends asked about flying out there on Monday and staying all week! I told 'em if they wanted to do that, then I'd gladly try to do the same. But, we're still what, 8 months out? There'll be some interesting options develop for sure. I like the idea of 7 steaks, 7 ways...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 12:37:36 AM by Eric Smith »

Chris Johnston

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 12:44:52 AM »
Who knows? A couple of friends asked about flying out there on Monday and staying all week! I told 'em if they wanted to do that, then I'd gladly try to do the same. But, we're still what, 8 months out? There'll be some interesting options develop for sure. I like the idea of 7 steaks, 7 ways...
NOw, that sounds fun.  Might I suggest a pork chop to break things up!

T5M is shaping up to be a very fun event.

Eric Smith

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »
D'oh! A stack of bacon wrapped shrimp might also work well. Are you still out there, wrapping things up?? I saw snow and coooold temps in the forecast today...

Chris Johnston

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 12:52:31 AM »
D'oh! A stack of bacon wrapped shrimp might also work well. Are you still out there, wrapping things up?? I saw snow and coooold temps in the forecast today...

Back in Jackson Hole.  Return to Mullen mid Nov for blowout. 

Eric Smith

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »
GRATUITOUS UPDATE:

So far we have 32 on the list for next June and I count 9 deposits received. Plenty of cash to get me to Disney, so thanks everyone! Just kidding, CJ. ;D

I'll get the list posted when I get back. Happy Thanksgiving!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
Eric will not "steer" you wrong on how to get to Dismal River:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVRLFqELHXs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Chris Johnston

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 11:51:08 AM »
I can't wait!  May RMize the greens, 14 sounds about right for this crew!

Michael George

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 11:53:36 AM »

Michael - was that your Meatloaf cd?  Eric won't give me an answer.  Honestly, I did not think anyone other than high school girls in the 70's listened to him.  Did "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" come on next?  Love the video, but how do you post it with that music selection.

This video could have a cut in the middle of it where the Miller Light girl tells the guys to 'man up".
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Brandon Urban

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:45 PM »
Cannot wait for this event. It was pretty awesome of Eric to be so welcoming to a relatively new guy on this site.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and enjoying a great golf course.
Oh, and did somebody say Atari???
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Michael George

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 12:19:47 PM »
Chris:

I am really looking forward to this weekend - going to be the highlight of my 2012.  I have not been to Dismal yet but it looks spectacular.  However, you can make the course as hard as you want, I will still beat Eric, Mac, John and yourself --- as shown by the US in the Pres. Cup, skill always trumps local knowledge.  ???  

Also, since people don't want you talking about Dismal or the Sand Hills region anymore - or a topic that you actually have personal knowledge about - I am volunteering to take up the role as propagandist for Dismal and the Sand Hills region - a topic that I have no personal knowledge about and only know what I have read.  This is good because then my posts will fit in better with the most of the other posts.  God forbid someone that owns one of the few clubs in the Sand Hills region be able to compare what is going on at Ballyneal with their experience.   ;)

Also, I met Sven at a gca event earlier this year and he is a really good guy - just wrong on this issue (something that I do have personal knowledge about).  Eric and you have to get him to Dismal for the 5th Major.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:21:59 PM by Michael George »

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »

Michael - was that your Meatloaf cd?  Eric won't give me an answer.  Honestly, I did not think anyone other than high school girls in the 70's listened to him.  Did "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" come on next?  Love the video, but how do you post it with that music selection.

This video could have a cut in the middle of it where the Miller Light girl tells the guys to 'man up".

It was the radio... Eric picked the channel!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Kalen Braley

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
I'm looking forward to this as well.

And with putting generally being my strongest suit, I look forward to playing 14s....that and I've never played on greens that were more than about 10-11, so it'll be interesting to see how insane they get. 

P.S.  I just love those 9 footers that have about 5 feet of break!!  ;)

Eric Smith

« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2011, 12:45:58 PM »
George Michael,

Would you believe we listened to the same radio station from the time we left Ben Cox's house to the time we arrived at Dismal? I reckon that's some massive wattage coming out of Ogallala (I think it was?)! Didn't hear any of your songs, btw. ;) ;D

And of course I'd like to meet Sven. I think he knows he's welcome, but if not, he does now. :)

Brandon,

Glad you're coming. Decided on a partner yet?

Whit (and JNC),

We'll never live this down you know.

CJ and Kalen,

Running them at 14 out there with 3 pins on the green shouldn't be any more difficult than running them at 9-10 and just the one pin, no? I'm sure Jagger's more familiar now with the preferred set up for a 'Major' ;D.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:19 PM »
I'm mailing my deposit in today.  If there is a shortest drive contest, my partner and I will win that one hands down!  My only question is what's the buy in going to be for the Texas Hold'em Tournament Saturday night?  I plan on winning back my entry fee!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Brandon Urban

« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »
Eric,

My buddy Barry will be joining me. He is a better golfer than me, but not anywhere near as good looking!
He was blown away when I showed him some pictures of DR.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back